Stanley Cup Patches

shandy_man

Hey does anyone know where I could find a genuine 2003 Stanley Cup Patch? I know there are the collectable ones that have the hard plastic backing, but looking for the real deal to put on my authentic jersey, I've checked ebay but all they have are the collector versions

Shandy

Might just have to break down and get the collectible one and remove the hard backing from it. Not 100% sure if they are the same size or not though, I imagine JeffB would be able to answer that one.

http://toonstation.zoovy.com/product/2003S...over_Ducks.html

That's where I got mine from, they didn't have the hard backing on it. You might want to call and ask before you order it though just to make sure the ones they are selling are still the ones without the hard backing.

Might just have to break down and get the collectible one and remove the hard backing from it. Not 100% sure if they are the same size or not though, I imagine JeffB would be able to answer that one.

The only patches I've encountered with the hard plastic backing are the ones that come in a plastic bag with a cardboard top folded over and stapled shut. National Emblem was the company if I recall. I've perhaps received a few loose ones with the plastic, but I've got a pretty good method for getting that off anyway.

Score the back with a sharp knife in an "X" pattern, being careful to not actually cut all the way through the plastic, fold the patch so the plastic snaps open and boil it. That will soften the plastic. Grab one of the points of the plastic at the center of the patch and pull out toward the outer edge. Just be careful that no threads are stuck to the plastic. That will unravel the embroidery. If a thread is stuck to the plastic, just snip it with a manicure scissors. You will have to boil it several times to get all the plastic off.

I'm not sure what the difference between a genuine Cup patch and a replica would be to be honest. I've seen Cup Finals patches that were made at different times and had variations between them, but couldn't tell you which was "authentic" and which was not.

Unless it was a bazillion dollar ultra-rare authentic jersey, customized with some unique style fabric for numbers and all that sort of specific detail accuracy, I wouldn't really care about the patch being perfect either. There are some replicas made better than others though. The ones with the wavy edge, shiny backing fabric are not my favorites and I will avoid them when I have better options that have non-shiny surface and lay flat.

You can see this one is pretty wavy around the edge.

462c_1_sbl.JPG

Thanks for all the info guys...well the only thing I've noticed...I did a bit of research on the patches on the game worns and the ones avail on ebay. The few things I've actually noticed were some of the stitching on the cup...there's ones that lack some of the silver on the top of the cup, ones that have white....just minor differences that really caught my eye.

• 9 months later...
The only patches I've encountered with the hard plastic backing are the ones that come in a plastic bag with a cardboard top folded over and stapled shut. National Emblem was the company if I recall. I've perhaps received a few loose ones with the plastic, but I've got a pretty good method for getting that off anyway.

Score the back with a sharp knife in an "X" pattern, being careful to not actually cut all the way through the plastic, fold the patch so the plastic snaps open and boil it. That will soften the plastic. Grab one of the points of the plastic at the center of the patch and pull out toward the outer edge. Just be careful that no threads are stuck to the plastic. That will unravel the embroidery. If a thread is stuck to the plastic, just snip it with a manicure scissors. You will have to boil it several times to get all the plastic off.

I'm not sure what the difference between a genuine Cup patch and a replica would be to be honest. I've seen Cup Finals patches that were made at different times and had variations between them, but couldn't tell you which was "authentic" and which was not.

Unless it was a bazillion dollar ultra-rare authentic jersey, customized with some unique style fabric for numbers and all that sort of specific detail accuracy, I wouldn't really care about the patch being perfect either. There are some replicas made better than others though. The ones with the wavy edge, shiny backing fabric are not my favorites and I will avoid them when I have better options that have non-shiny surface and lay flat.

You can see this one is pretty wavy around the edge.

462c_1_sbl.JPG

Thank you for this! Just got a patch with the hardbacking and was looking for a way to safely remove it!

Place it in Boiling hot water for 5 minutes and remove it slowly with a dull knife. You may have to re-dip a few times. I have removed patches from that hard plastic every way you could imagine and this is the easiest, safest way to do it without damaging the patch!

Place it in Boiling hot water for 5 minutes and remove it slowly with a dull knife. You may have to re-dip a few times. I have removed patches from that hard plastic every way you could imagine and this is the easiest, safest way to do it without damaging the patch!

yup, I successfully removed the hard plastic tonight. Now I just need the jersey it's going on to arrive. :P