Beer!

Mach_9

Oh man - I really like being able to post off-topic now. :lol:

Maybe I shouldn't be allowed to.

For those of you who are of age (of course ;) ) what's your brew of choice? Anything particular you drink at a game or while watching? A particular favorite in general? I tend to like browns. New Castle and Brooklyn Brown are both good. I enjoy Chimay, a trapist beer, if you haven't heard of it - kind of pricy. Guiness is ok once in a while and I like Negro Modelo quite a bit as well. What a fun topic...

How about alcoholic beverages in general? I'm really a beer drinker overall, though I do like wine on the weekends and with dinner. I brewed my own beer in the basement for a few years and it was actually not bad at all. I love going to visit micro-breweries whenever I travel. I try to visit Magic Hat in Vermont every once in a while as well. When it comes to liquor I'm a whisky drinker. Cannot drink tequilla or vodka anymore.

By the way, this topic came to be because I can't get the Guiness commercials out of my head after Lafountain and Desert Rat have been sayin Brilliant!! tonight. I appologize if it's innapropriate. I like to have a beer when i watch a weekend game, or especially at the stadium and I figured since the majority of us are of age it couldn't hurt.

When I go to games, I sometimes will have a beer or two. Usually I just get a Light Beer when I go to the games as I have never really been much of a beer person. When I drank I usually was a rum person, but I haven't been a real drinker for about 2 years now. Now I pretty much have the occassional beer and that is it. Mostly though, it is only when I go to sporting events, I will have a hot dog and a beer.

When I go to games, I sometimes will have a beer or two. Usually I just get a Light Beer when I go to the games as I have never really been much of a beer person. When I drank I usually was a rum person, but I haven't been a real drinker for about 2 years now. Now I pretty much have the occassional beer and that is it. Mostly though, it is only when I go to sporting events, I will have a hot dog and a beer.

I wouldn't say I drink heavily, but I certainly enjoy a few beers over the weekend. I do find I drink whisky while writing quite often but I'd say I keep myself in check at virtually all times. I don't think I've actually been drunk in about a year, and the last time was probably around Christmas at a family get together. I enjoy most drinks. I like to drink in moderation, and I actually enjoy the taste of a good beer or whisky. I usually only have one or two beers at a game at most though, because of the prices.

I enjoyed beer a lot in my 20s, since then I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and doctor's orders are to stay off the stuff except for once in a rare occassion. Not a problem. I don't want to risk getting a beer gut, anyway.

But back then, there was a restaurant, Old Chicago, that had a World Beer Tour with a punch card and levels you could attain for free food and stuff. I only made it to 72 of the 120 pricey brews, but it was interesting and I tried a lot of nasty beers. It was the only way to make it thru karaoke, heh.

I preferred Spaten Optimator, Guiness, Pilsner Urquell, Corona and Labatt's. I've had Chimay once, I think, the name sounds familiar. I also had Samichlaus, from the Czech Republic, which is only brewed every December 6 or something. I don't care for the red ales and there is only one American beer that I like, Miller Genuine Draft. I never drink at games, only in restaurants, friend's houses or at home. Bailey's, Captain Morgan and Coke, frozen margaritas (always with salt on the glass) or anything with blue curacao (Blue Shark/Hawaiian) is what I order, too. I think I have only gotten drunk twice in my life, it ain't my thing.

I enjoyed beer a lot in my 20s, since then I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and doctor's orders are to stay off the stuff except for once in a rare occassion. Not a problem. I don't want to risk getting a beer gut, anyway.

But back then, there was a restaurant, Old Chicago, that had a World Beer Tour with a punch card and levels you could attain for free food and stuff. I only made it to 72 of the 120 pricey brews, but it was interesting and I tried a lot of nasty beers. It was the only way to make it thru karaoke, heh.

I preferred Spaten Optimator, Guiness, Pilsner Urquell, Corona and Labatt's. I've had Chimay once, I think, the name sounds familiar. I also had Samichlaus, from the Czech Republic, which is only brewed every December 6 or something. I don't care for the red ales and there is only one American beer that I like, Miller Genuine Draft. I never drink at games, only in restaurants, friend's houses or at home. Bailey's, Captain Morgan and Coke, frozen margaritas (always with salt on the glass) or anything with blue curacao (Blue Shark/Hawaiian) is what I order, too. I think I have only gotten drunk twice in my life, it ain't my thing.

Spaten is a good beer and the Optimator is a nice brew as well. Soporo is a good Japanese beer and Tsing Tao is a Thai beverage that's pretty tasty. I also like Kirin. Bailey's is delicious in deserts and evening drinks. I don't really even consider that "drinking" though. I'll have Bailey's in coffee at night and not think twice about it. I've had some Czech rum and mineral alcohol (which is actually supposed to be very good for you) but I have no idea how to pronounce or spell the names of either. My brother's wife is Czech. One of the bars in the town I'm living in now has 400 beers on tap. I've yet to bother going down there, as it's mostly a college haunt, but it's intriguing. Like I said, these days I really just enjoy a cool beer or two on weekend evenings, or a drink with dinner. I'll drink a little bit more at family get togethers or gatherings of friends and co-workers. I feel like I have somewhat high standards when it comes to beers now-a-days though, so I just wanted to see if anyone else truly had a taste for beer and had a good reccomendation or a similar favorite.

Soporo is a good Japanese beer and Tsing Tao is a Thai beverage that's pretty tasty. I also like Kirin.

I really like a lot of the asian beers especially Sapporo. I spent a month in Thailand many years ago, and really enjoyed Tsing Tao. On a more conventional note, my favorites are Corona, Heineken, Sleeman's Pale, Ricker's Red, Molson Dry, Labatt Blue. In general, I like lighter colored beers - not a fan of darks. All that being said, I only drink maybe 2-5 beers a month on average.

I really like a lot of the asian beers especially Sapporo. I spent a month in Thailand many years ago, and really enjoyed Tsing Tao. On a more conventional note, my favorites are Corona, Heineken, Sleeman's Pale, Ricker's Red, Molson Dry, Labatt Blue. In general, I like lighter colored beers - not a fan of darks. All that being said, I only drink maybe 2-5 beers a month on average.

Well, I butchered the spelling on Sapporo, but it was effective enough to get the message across...

I like some of the lighter pilsners and wheat bears as well, but I have a taste for many varieties. I generally won't drink Corona, Budd, Coors or any of that stuff. Heineken and Molson are better. I generally go for things like what I've mentioned so far and a lot of micro brewed stuff that you can get on premises at the breweries. There is a pretty nice brewery in the town here called the Guilded Otter, which does 8 beers, four which are year round and four which change every two months. The changing flavors are seasonal and the brews are pretty good. I had a blueberry beer that actually had blue berries floating in the glass there at the beginning of September. It helps that the food is good and the atmosphere is comfortable and more upscale than a normal bar or brew pub. I generally like to go once the beers have changed and get a sampler.

About 25 miles north of where I live is the town of Cave Creek. A restaurant and micro-brewery that is very popular (especially with the touristas) there is Crazy Ed's Satisfied Frog. They make a Chili beer, which is a lager with a green chili pepper IN the bottle. The beer is too HOT and spicy. To me, it doesn't taste all that great, but it's a good novelty and that place cooks a heck of a steak!

About 25 miles north of where I live is the town of Cave Creek. A restaurant and micro-brewery that is very popular (especially with the touristas) there is Crazy Ed's Satisfied Frog. They make a Chili beer, which is a lager with a green chili pepper IN the bottle. The beer is too HOT and spicy. To me, it doesn't taste all that great, but it's a good novelty and that place cooks a heck of a steak!

Sounds like a cool place. Maybe if I'm ever all the way out there I'll remember it and see if I come by it. A lot of strange combinations in beer become popular at brew pubs, even though they don't taste that great.

Not of legal age yet, but sometimes I drink at family get togethers, and a Labatt Blue sure goes down well. :D

Wow, didn't realize we had people that young on here already.

Ah, what a nice topic....! :)

I am a Labatt Blue devotee. But a recent visit to the Labatt brewery in London, ON clued me in on my new favorite -- Labatt 50, what I now lovingly refer to as "Labatt Green" for the green label. I was sad when I left Canada, knowing that I couldn't get 50 in the States.

That is, until my wife had an epiphany while standing in the beer aisle at Trader Joe's. She was staring at the six-pack of Labatt Canadian Ale, pining for the 50 that we had during our vacation. Then it dawned on her. 50 is an ale. Canadian Ale....is an ale. Both had green packaging. Could it be.....?

Sure enough, looking very closely on the label, hidden in a corner, was the telltale "50." Happiness ensued.

I'm a fan of the hearty ales. I like to cut it every so often with a good lager in between, but my mood often drifts to the ales. I frequent a local brewpub and they make this REALLY good, bitter IPA with just a trace of fruitiness (and yeah, before I really got beer, I turned a sour expression on to any description involving fruits or flowers in beer, but I get it now :)). Stouts and porters aren't my bag, though. The IBUs might be higher, but the maltiness is a bit much for me -- it's almost like drinking fizzy, creamy coffee to me. For commercial beers, I dig the aforementioned Blue. Sometimes a Killian's or Bass Ale.

I drink quite regularly. I'll often have a beer with dinner, and many during a game on TV (like last night's Wings vs. Oilers). Unfortunately, Joe Louis Arena only serves what I consider crap -- Bud, Bud Light, Miller, etc. The last game I went to, though, I was pleasantly surprised to see Molson XXX.

They need a new arena and a new beer distribution deal.... :(

But lately, my wife and I have been on a microbrew/brewpub kick. Our collection of growlers is slowly growing. :)

Crimson is a man after my own heart.

I don't drink all that regularly myself anymore, as I mentioned above, but anyone who has a nice understanding and appreciation of beer is good by me. The more micro breweries you visit, the better. I'm thinking of brewing a batch of my own IPA again this summer. Haven't done it in a few years, but it's a lot of fun and it's actually cheaper than buying beer over the summer.

Beer guy checking in!

Oh Labatt...the first beer I ever had; and in Buffalo no less. I used to love that stuff but now I work for the competitor and can't drink it anymore!

Guinness will always be #1 in my heart but Smithwicks is now a close second. It's a wonderful Irish red ale with no bitterness or aftertaste. Excellent.

Europeans make the best beer in the world, no doubts about that. I would say German is the best in the world. See Oktoberfest.

For my birthday last year, my friends signed me up for a Beers of the Month club and it is awesome. I've gotten beers from all over the world and I had an German Eisbock in the last one and man was it good. A dark, heavy lager with a malty finish. 9.2% too. Good stuff.

I did beer of the month for a few years - tons of fun. Now we're getting to the holidays and I very much enjoy the seasonal beers that'll come out. Maybe I'll consider doing a beer of the month club again this year...

It's funny...a few months ago I got a beer called River Horse. It's brewed in Lambertville, New Jersey about 50 minutes away from me and available at minor league hockey games. BEERS OF THE WORLD and I get one from my own backyard. I got a chuckle out of that.

My in-laws live up in the far north of Michigan's Lower Peninsula and the largest city they have there is Alpena (the size and population of a mid-sized suburban town, really). And unbeknownst to all of us, they have a brewery distribution company there (the beer itself is brewed elsewhere). In Lincoln (the village where my in-laws actually live), a town of approximately 330 and declining, there is a gas-station/grocery store called Kris Mart. And there is where everyone goes to get beer (and chips, and deli meats, and lottery tickets, and laundry detergent, and.....).

I was absolutely stunned last month to not only see Smithwick's but local micros. It was a bit too much for my brother-in-law's friend (he's a Bud Light guy), but my wife and I were pleasantly surprised that something so avant-garde as a microbrewed beer would be available in the stereotypical backwoods, hunting-and-fishing rural area like Lincoln, MI.

(it was a deep red lager I tried; a bit on the hoppy side, which I like)

Oh, topic derailment. My local brewpub introduced two new beers this month: 1492 IPA and a pumpkin porter. The 1492 replaced my previous favorite IPA, and the new one is just too bitter for me (50 IBUs....good gawd!!! The previous IPA was around 35-40, I think). The pumpkin porter, on the other hand, was quite tasty. Like drinking a pumpkin pie. :)

Oh, topic derailment. My local brewpub introduced two new beers this month: 1492 IPA and a pumpkin porter. The 1492 replaced my previous favorite IPA, and the new one is just too bitter for me (50 IBUs....good gawd!!! The previous IPA was around 35-40, I think).

You think that's bad, there's a beer brewed by Stone Brewing Co. called Ruination. It has 100 IBU's. They call it Ruination because when you drink it, it ruins your ability to drink anything else after it. But man it is gooooood.

And speaking of Smithwicks, if I drowned in a vat of that stuff, I'd die a happy man.

I'm underage (only by a couple years). I never really felt like drinking, it's just not my thing. I know my dad is a big fan of Heiniken, and dark beers especially local breweries and micro breweries.

I'm underage (only by a couple years). I never really felt like drinking, it's just not my thing. I know my dad is a big fan of Heiniken, and dark beers especially local breweries and micro breweries.

And there is NOTHING wrong with that, believe me. :thumbsup:

You think that's bad, there's a beer brewed by Stone Brewing Co. called Ruination. It has 100 IBU's. They call it Ruination because when you drink it, it ruins your ability to drink anything else after it. But man it is gooooood.

Sheesh, I might as well lick a muddy tire....! :)

Well I think then the Ruination would taste a whole lot better! Actually Stone makes an Imperial Russian Stout that is amazing. Dark, heavy and not too bitter. Good stuff all around.

• 3 weeks later...

i?m glad that over here the drinking age for beer is 16 and for liquor and ciagrettes 18. and about 30 to 45 minutes from my place you can go and smoke weed legaly. The Netherlands rule when it comes to having "soft drugs" like weed and hashish legaly sold in coffeeshops

Ahhh a German man. Home to some of the greatest beer in the world. Hacker Pschorr Weiss Dark is my favorite German beer. Warsteiner Dunkel is excellent too. But I'm sure it's even better over there.