Chris Simon is at it again!

Brilliant!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=225296&hubname=nhl

There's not much in the article about it but the highlights CLEARLY showed that he stepped on Jarkko Ruutu's ankle with his skate while Ruutu was on the ice. That's two attempts to injure other players within a year. Tell me this guy doesn't deserve to be removed from the league.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=225296&hubname=nhl

There's not much in the article about it but the highlights CLEARLY showed that he stepped on Jarkko Ruutu's ankle with his skate while Ruutu was on the ice. That's two attempts to injure other players within a year. Tell me this guy doesn't deserve to be removed from the league.

If it wasn't Jarkko Ruutu, I'd care. I'd have done the same thing to that idiot given the chance.

Yeah okay...Ruutu is a goon. Yeah okay...he probably deserves quite the beating for all the stuff he's done in his career to injure other players...remember, I'm a Rangers fan here and that crap-face absolutely destroyed Jagr back in the 2006 Olympics. THE OLYMPICS!! But you know what? I bet the same thing was said about Donald Brashear when Marty McSorley tried to test his sticks durability on his temple. 'He's a goon! Let him take what's coming to him!' The fact is simple; there was clearly attempt to injure a fellow player and he deserves a harsh punishment since it's not the first time he's done something like this. Lord knows, I agree with you. Ruutu is a dung pile. But Simon needs to punished and punished extremely harshly for what he did because if he caught Ruutu on the calf, we're talking severed tendons and possible career-ending injuries.

When I heard that he was given a match penalty for "stomping", I thought, "now I've seen everything". Simon tried to guillotine Ruutu's foot (look at it from the front, not the back), after that slew-foot. But, either way, Simon is a scumbag and will probably escape with a mamby-pamby Bettman-like suspension. I'd like to see butchers like him removed from the game, like he should have been long ago. Simon did this very cowardly, on his way off the ice, "oh, let me chop your foot in half and I'll non-chalant it to the bench, nobody will see it". That coward Darryl Sydor just watched it all happen in front of his face. Sidney Crosby didn't witness it, but just skated on by the Isles bench like the little ambassador. Any other player wearing the C would have started SOMETHING. In villifying Simon, I just ended up ripping the Penguins. :blink:

Regardless of the person the action was against, there was NO EXCUSE for that type of move. He deserves yet another long suspension. Can these things start to be cumulative, like after the next infraction he gets 50 games?

There was obvious intent to injure on this incident. My personal opinion is this, if it is determined that there was an intent to injure, the player comitting the infraction (Simon in this case) starts with being suspended as long as the injured player is out then add the suspension on top of that.

If the intent is there and the player doesn't miss any time, then you start at a 15-20 game suspension and each subsequent violation adds 5-10 games to the suspension.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/7576936

Chris Simon left the New York Islanders on Monday, saying he needed time away from hockey following his latest penalty for attempting to injure an opponent.

While Jarkko Ruuttu is right up there with Sean Avery on my annoying players list, you can't pull a stunt like that. Sounds like he needs to really examine what is going on in his head.

I think this quote from an article on ESPN best describes how severe this incident could have been.

"The play may have seemed harmless enough, but what if Simon had gone a little higher and sliced Ruutu's calf muscle? A 6-foot-4, 235-pound man stomping on flesh with a sharp skate blade, the result could have been devastating, even tragic. Remember, Dan Boyle of the Tampa Bay Lighting needed surgery to repair three severed tendons after a skate fell off a hook in his dressing room stall and onto his left wrist during the preseason, so it's not a stretch to suggest Simon's act had the potential to be far more serious."

I think this quote from an article on ESPN best describes how severe this incident could have been.

"The play may have seemed harmless enough, but what if Simon had gone a little higher and sliced Ruutu's calf muscle? A 6-foot-4, 235-pound man stomping on flesh with a sharp skate blade, the result could have been devastating, even tragic. Remember, Dan Boyle of the Tampa Bay Lighting needed surgery to repair three severed tendons after a skate fell off a hook in his dressing room stall and onto his left wrist during the preseason, so it's not a stretch to suggest Simon's act had the potential to be far more serious."

After watching the clip of the incident, I have no idea how it wasn't more serious than it was. Those skates must be really tough to withstand something like that.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=34710...mp;service=page

The announcement of Simon's suspension will come today sometime.

Any guesses as to length? I am thinking 25-30.

I don't see him coming back to play for them this year. His 'leave' will probably take him at least 2 or 3 months and then he'll have to serve his suspension if/when he comes back. By then, I'd bet the Isles will have either dealt him or waived him.

I am not about to stick up for Chris Simon BUT he obviously has some issues that go beyond hockey.

I know he has overcome great obstacles to get to the show and has carved out a 13 yr career.

I think the Islanders made a classy move by suspending him w/pay and helping him get counselling.