Another decade plus long contract handed out!

ZoomZoom18

I don't know...I think anything over 7 years is a big-time gamble...especially in this day of concussions and ACL injuries. Remember when players used to stay with a certain team no matter what just because they wanted to play for that team?

I don't know...I think anything over 7 years is a big-time gamble...especially in this day of concussions and ACL injuries. Remember when players used to stay with a certain team no matter what just because they wanted to play for that team?

Sadly, for the most part those days are gone. With the salary cap and with the money involved, there will be fewer and fewer players who go 10-15 years with only one team.

As for the Richards contract, I am glad to see him playing so well this year, but I think this is way too long of a deal. Not just for him, but for anyone, like you stated, with injuries and other risks, the length of this deal is too risky.

Sadly, for the most part those days are gone. With the salary cap and with the money involved, there will be fewer and fewer players who go 10-15 years with only one team.

As for the Richards contract, I am glad to see him playing so well this year, but I think this is way too long of a deal. Not just for him, but for anyone, like you stated, with injuries and other risks, the length of this deal is too risky.

Agreed, there is loyalty to the player, which is admirable but anything over 10 years (except for players like Crosby, Tavares, etc.) is nuts.

With someone like Crosby or Ovechkin, I could see giving them a contract like that. My biggest fear would be them getting hurt and then basically being in and out of the lineup over the course of the contract. I don't know enough about Richards to really determine what I think of his play. I think I've only seen him play once. I would also worry about a player playing big just because its a contract year. The next several years will be interesting to see how the contract plays out.

With someone like Crosby or Ovechkin, I could see giving them a contract like that. My biggest fear would be them getting hurt and then basically being in and out of the lineup over the course of the contract. I don't know enough about Richards to really determine what I think of his play. I think I've only seen him play once. I would also worry about a player playing big just because its a contract year. The next several years will be interesting to see how the contract plays out.

Prior to this year Richards had 66 points in two seasons. He has played well this year and if all goes well then Philly did make out since the average is only 5.75 million, could be a discount for the Flyers but if things don't work out then the Flyers are gonna be paying him a lot of money to possibly underachieve.

Prior to this year Richards had 66 points in two seasons. He has played well this year and if all goes well then Philly did make out since the average is only 5.75 million, could be a discount for the Flyers but if things don't work out then the Flyers are gonna be paying him a lot of money to possibly underachieve.

I thought I saw somewhere that the highest he gets paid a season is like 7 million and that's at the midway point of the deal.

I thought I saw somewhere that the highest he gets paid a season is like 7 million and that's at the midway point of the deal.

Like most of these longer term deals, the front end is loaded and the back end is a lot less to make him trade bait if in fact he flames out.

I think any GM or player is foolish to sign a 10yr deal.

There are a handful of players i would consider signing that type of deal with ( Lecavalier, Crosby,etc..) but i wouldnt put Richards in that category.

I admire the loyalty on both sides BUT i dont think any athlete that plays high impact sports should be signed past 5yrs.

There is just way too much possibility for injury.

Where does the players motivation go if he knows that hes guaranteed a fixed amount for the next 10 yrs?