How to Protect Screen (Vinyl) Printed Numbers?

A few teams in the 80's used screen printed numbers on their jerseys before moving to the now more traditional twill.  The two most known teams to do this were the Quebec Nordiques and the Pittsburgh Penguins.  I wanted to seek advice on the best way to preserve these jerseys.  Obviously, these jerseys are known for peeling, and essentially, ruining the jersey.  I just obtained a jersey that I am very excited to own, however, the number are starting to remove in some areas.  Is it safe to iron over these number (of course with something in between the numbers and the iron) to help secure them back down?  Is there also a way to help preserve the numbers to last as long as can be?  I will not be washing or drying this jersey as it is a game worn jersey, and I know that would do way more damage to it.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

• 3 months later...

I haven't owned any long enough to know how well this holds true, but I think the biggest trick is to just not wash/dry as you mention.  I only ever hand/spot wash the ones I own that have it.  The rest I guess we'll see as time goes on.  Perhaps try to keep away from direct sunlight?

I'd assume the repeated washes are why the gamers start to flake so terribly.  Surely we can't expect the vinyl to last forever, but you'd think with little additional wear they still should last a good long time.

Spot ironing should help - unless anyone else here disagrees - so long as you put a barrier of some sort between the iron.

• 3 months later...

@spudrock512 did you ever get an answer to this, or try it yourself (re: ironing vinyl to flatten/re-apply)?

Edit: I just tried using some parchment paper (for baking) after I remembered seeing a suggestion for it on here years ago.  Turned on the iron, put the parchment paper between the numbers and the iron and I was golden.  Also worked to help seal down a few numbers of other jerseys where the edge was pulling up.  I only turned the iron to maybe half heat and kept it on in short bursts.

Edited by PensJerseys