Bill Wirtz Passes Away

Crimson

Succumbed to cancer at 77. Now, I know there's some sort of corporate arrangement that owns the 'Hawks (it'd be foolish otherwise, of course) so the ownership can continue in these unfortunate events, but I'm just speculating now -- would this give the 'Hawks a chance at some TV time and maybe a little more support from above in their own hometown?

Succumbed to cancer at 77. Now, I know there's some sort of corporate arrangement that owns the 'Hawks (it'd be foolish otherwise, of course) so the ownership can continue in these unfortunate events, but I'm just speculating now -- would this give the 'Hawks a chance at some TV time and maybe a little more support from above in their own hometown?

Condolences to the family but I think the Hawks will be finally turned in the right direction with someone else at the helm. They have a lot of young guns and perhaps there will be a new tv contract and other management decisions from whoever takes over the reigns.

Amen to that. Great news in the long run for the Blackhawks. This was one of the old dinosaurs that was holding back their organization because they really didn't care about hockey at all. As soon as Phil Anschutz finally goes then two of the largest franchises in history can basically start over for the better.

May he rest in peace.

Sadly though, this may be a good thing for the Blackhawks, as we all know Wirtz was possibly one of the more disliked owners by the hometown fans in all of professional sports. While death is not how I would have liked to see the situation resolved, hopefully this works out for the Blackhawks and the individual(s) who will take over the primary role will work to make the team better. Wirtz did make some strides in the right direction by bringing in Havlat and tried when he brought in Khabibulin, but just wouldn't spend the money to build around them.