Your Local TV/Radio Broadcast

SteveNJ

FSN NY's coverage of the Devils 6/10

Doc and Chico are the best. Doc is a hall-of-fame broadcaster and person if you've had the pleasure of meeting. Chico isn't the best analyst but he's a good guy.

Stan Fischler and Steve Cangelosi between periods are fun, but not so informative, while Ken Daneyko puts me to sleep.

Pregame shows are the most they'll do, postgame is limited at best.

Radio isn't great, 15 minute pre and post. Matt Loughlin and Tom Chorske are poor. Well, Chorske's passable, but Loughlin is just unbearable to listen to.

Well prior to this season when the Avalanche were on FSN Rocky Mountain, I really liked the coverage they offerered. Each of the commentators knew their purpose and didn't step on each others toes. They had fun with the broadcast.

I would rate them as an 8/10.

Well prior to this season when the Avalanche were on FSN Rocky Mountain, I really liked the coverage they offerered. Each of the commentators knew their purpose and didn't step on each others toes. They had fun with the broadcast.

I would rate them as an 8/10.

After a while, I just mute the commentary and watch the hockey. I don't care who the commentators are... I get tired of off-topic comments while someones on a breakaway. I enjoy the game more when I can't hear them.

• 1 month later...

For the Wild, our TV guys are just fine. Dan Terhar and Mike Greenlay. We used to have Mike Goldberg, who does the Ultimate Fighting Championships on TV. I thought he was great, but the team didn't want him to continute to be associated with that and he chose the UFC. Too bad for me.

Now on radio...that's another story. Veteran Twin Cities boradcaster Bob Kurtz does play-by-play just fine, but we have former North Star Tom Reid as the color analyst. What he's trying to say might be insightful, but he cannot say 3 words without tripping over his tounge. He's been doing this for years and just has never gotten 1% better. I really wouldn't mind if they replaced him one day. The man simply can't speak.

• 2 months later...

For the Canucks I listen to the TEAM 1040 from Vancouver, the play by play guy John Shorthouse is good and the colour guy Tom Larschied is pretty funny and makes some great comments. Most Canuck fans that can remember the mid 90s or earlier think Jim Robson is a better play by play guy, I would have to agree even though I've only heard a few clips from games.

I'd rate them 9/10.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to give a couple of shout-outs to a few local broadcasts that I have been watching this year due to Center Ice.

1) NESN- those guys are knowledgable and their camera lighting and angles are awesome. Clearly one of the best produced local telecasts.

2) Panger in the desert. Their games might not be pretty watch but who doesn't like Panger and his commentary? Their production quality is fine but its the commentary that is really pretty good.

3) I agree with the Avelanche coverage. Really good cameras and good commentators.

4) MSG- who can outcall Jeanerette nowadays? The coverage might look a little washed out but the instudio/game commentary makes watching a Sabres game a really exciting experience.

4) MSG- who can outcall Jeanerette nowadays? The coverage might look a little washed out but the instudio/game commentary makes watching a Sabres game a really exciting experience.

Yeah they need new camera equipment badly. I watched both the CBC feed and the MSG feed of last saturday's game and there was no comparison. CBC cameras were so much clearer.

2) Panger in the desert. Their games might not be pretty watch but who doesn't like Panger and his commentary? Their production quality is fine but its the commentary that is really pretty good.

Darren is great, I was thrilled to see him out doing Coyotes games when I watched my first game on TV. Curt Keilback is alright, but I've not been as attached to him as I am Darren, since I've been watching Darren for years. On the radio, Bob Heethuis and Louie Debrusk do a pretty decent job.

Overall one of my favorites was from the IHL with the Indianapolis Ice, Ken Double whom last I heard was doing Houston Aeros games. I spent many nights listening to him. I also liked Pat Foley when he did Blackhawks games, was able to get a staticy Blackhawks feed on one of the AM Chicago stations.

Darren is great, I was thrilled to see him out doing Coyotes games when I watched my first game on TV. Curt Keilback is alright, but I've not been as attached to him as I am Darren, since I've been watching Darren for years. On the radio, Bob Heethuis and Louie Debrusk do a pretty decent job.

Overall one of my favorites was from the IHL with the Indianapolis Ice, Ken Double whom last I heard was doing Houston Aeros games. I spent many nights listening to him. I also liked Pat Foley when he did Blackhawks games, was able to get a staticy Blackhawks feed on one of the AM Chicago stations.

Kielback has THE best voice, but he falls behind too often on the play-by-play. Panger can work well with anyone, he's enthusiastic, knowledgable, entertaining and has no problem poking fun at himself. Heeter is intelligent, good on p-b-p, but bad on his goal calls (sound like a little girl) and has always been very milquetoast. Louie's kind of a knucklehead, but is a good match for Heethuis' passive style.

Kielback has THE best voice, but he falls behind too often on the play-by-play. Panger can work well with anyone, he's enthusiastic, knowledgable, entertaining and has no problem poking fun at himself. Heeter is intelligent, good on p-b-p, but bad on his goal calls (sound like a little girl) and has always been very milquetoast. Louie's kind of a knucklehead, but is a good match for Heethuis' passive style.

I like the broadcast package for the Dogs. I usually check out their broadcasts for Panger but also enjoy the rest of the broadcast team and presentation.

Does anyone watch Leafstv on Center Ice or up in Canada? They start the first 5-7 minutes of the broadcast with just silence and a countdown clock until faceoff. Its an interesting lead-in.