NHL on ESPN? NHL Network in the US?

Here's an interesting article I found.

Look who’s talking: ESPN, NHL

These could be positive steps for the NHL. I for one would love to have NHL Network included with Center Ice.

Here's an interesting article I found.

Look who’s talking: ESPN, NHL

These could be positive steps for the NHL. I for one would love to have NHL Network included with Center Ice.

I would love for the NHL to come back to ESPN, but one thing I gotta wonder is where do they fit in the schedule? With ESPN already having a MLB contract (only affects the beginning of the season and the playoffs), Monday Night Football, NASCAR, and an NBA contract already, it just seems to me that there really isn't much room for the NHL on ESPN.

Edit: Of course if I had read the article first, I would see that they are talking specifically about ESPN2, and only the NBA contract would affect that one.

I agree, I don't see where they can squeeze in the NHL since they have so many other events locked in. It would give the NHL a credibility boost. I don't think ESPN would get the ratings they probably want. Is it profitable to do this? That's what everyone is asking themselves, I'm sure.

I would love to be able to get NHL Network. We are very starved for hockey coverage on TV in the US, which is no secret.

I agree, I don't see where they can squeeze in the NHL since they have so many other events locked in. It would give the NHL a credibility boost. I don't think ESPN would get the ratings they probably want. Is it profitable to do this? That's what everyone is asking themselves, I'm sure.

I would love to be able to get NHL Network. We are very starved for hockey coverage on TV in the US, which is no secret.

DR- I am right there with you. I could care less about ESPN but I just want the NHL Network and On The Fly or NHL2Night. Just a simple request from me....

Isn't the NHL Network going to be offered as part of the Center Ice package? That would really be the better way to do it since most cable networks offer the package, as well as some of the dishes.

Isn't the NHL Network going to be offered as part of the Center Ice package? That would really be the better way to do it since most cable networks offer the package, as well as some of the dishes.

Yeah that is what is stated as possibly happening. From what the article said MLB has a similar thing with their Extra Innings Package.

Yeah that is what is stated as possibly happening. From what the article said MLB has a similar thing with their Extra Innings Package.

Good- so that is one less expense for me if it is all rolled into one package. Comcast in NJ recently took the NFL network and put it on its 5 bucks more a month sports package. 5 bucks isn't that much but considering how much I am paying per month as it is I don't want to give them any more of my money. It would've sucked if they treated the NHL Network the same way.

Considering what the major cable Sports pass as content these days ( bowling,darts,pool)it would be a huge shame if ESPN did not re-establish their NHL relationship.

It is in the best interest of the game for LittleMan Bettmann to be in as many US households as possible.

Considering what the major cable Sports pass as content these days ( bowling,darts,pool)it would be a huge shame if ESPN did not re-establish their NHL relationship.

It is in the best interest of the game for LittleMan Bettmann to be in as many US households as possible.

At the very least, not have a revenue sharing agreement with a network thus limiting the revenue stream to your league. I am just going to order Center Ice again and not worry about VS or NBC.

You and me both. That's the best money I've spent in YEARS.

Amen- I actually made a whole day around Hockey Day In Canada this year with its broadcast starting at 12pm on CI! That alone made it worth it to me (plus all the Sabres/Pens/Dogs/Flames games I could see out of market). ###### Bettman and his schedule for no true HDIC this year.!!!! :fight:

One of the coolest things I've found about living here in the valley is getting FSN Arizona. I was also pleased to see the Coyotes are on some of the local stations during the season. When I met my wife, I found she had DirecTV and had then OLN. I've been able to get my hockey fix that way. Seeing them go back to ESPN2 would be great. I was surprised enough to see ChampCar had landed back on the ESPN/ESPN2/ABC networks for this season, so I'm prepared for anything.

One of the coolest things I've found about living here in the valley is getting FSN Arizona. I was also pleased to see the Coyotes are on some of the local stations during the season. When I met my wife, I found she had DirecTV and had then OLN. I've been able to get my hockey fix that way. Seeing them go back to ESPN2 would be great. I was surprised enough to see ChampCar had landed back on the ESPN/ESPN2/ABC networks for this season, so I'm prepared for anything.

ChampCar is on ESPN etc. due to the fact that they buy time. They pay for their races to be on TV in the US. They have bought time for years, SPEED, Spike, NBC, CBS, all 2-hour infomercials. NHL on NBC is one step above, the NHL doesn't have to pay for the time, but gets a slice of the profits after production. This is what ESPN proposed to the NHL after the lockout, but Comcast came in with their offer.

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/34136/

ChampCar is on ESPN etc. due to the fact that they buy time. They pay for their races to be on TV in the US. They have bought time for years, SPEED, Spike, NBC, CBS, all 2-hour infomercials. NHL on NBC is one step above, the NHL doesn't have to pay for the time, but gets a slice of the profits after production. This is what ESPN proposed to the NHL after the lockout, but Comcast came in with their offer.

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/34136/

That's right! I completely forgot about ChampCar doing that. The one thing that drove me nuts about them is, they might schedule a race for 73 laps, but only run like 65 due to the time constraints. I'm so bitter and irritated about American Open Wheel racing these days, I don't care to follow it much.

VS. seems like they do a decent job with the NHL broadcasts, its too bad it isn't in more homes. Thank God for Direct TV says I!