Shipping a jersey from the USA to Canada?

I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't seem to find a search function. I'm selling a bunch of my jerseys on ebay. I'm in the US and would like to sell to Canadian bidders without having to charge an arm and a leg. Any suggestions on what's going to be the cheapest shipping option with some form of tracking?

-Ship with USPS, not UPS.

-Do not use flat rate boxes. They are overpriced and will cost you bidders. Get a few boxes in advance and get a shipping quote directly from the post office for each jersey based on size/weight.

-Provide a tracking code to the buyer. This can be tracked via USPS' site, and then once the item crosses over to Canada, the same tracking code can be entered and tracked on Canada Post's site.

-Jerseys of a certain value have to be sent using signature confirmation. I think it might be over 220. Go read over Paypal's seller protection. If you don't ship items of the specific value with signature confirmation, a buyer can make a fraudulent chargeback claim with Paypal, and even if the tracking code says the item was delivered, they'll get their money back.

-Don't opt into eBay's international seller's program or what ever it is called. How that works, is you send the item to eBay's shipping center in the US, and then they send it to Canada for you. The major issue with this is now your buyer is paying twice the amount of shipping, as well as paying a massive brokerage fee to eBay. As an example, the total brokerage fee+shipping for a buyer who is buying a 100 dollar jersey from you might end up being as high as 50-60 dollars if you opt into this program. You could have shipped the jersey directly to them for roughly 20. If the buyer was willing to go as high as 160 total for the jersey, you're now costing yourself 40 dollars.

That's about it.

-Ship with USPS, not UPS.

-Do not use flat rate boxes. They are overpriced and will cost you bidders. Get a few boxes in advance and get a shipping quote directly from the post office for each jersey based on size/weight.

-Provide a tracking code to the buyer. This can be tracked via USPS' site, and then once the item crosses over to Canada, the same tracking code can be entered and tracked on Canada Post's site.

-Jerseys of a certain value have to be sent using signature confirmation. I think it might be over 220. Go read over Paypal's seller protection. If you don't ship items of the specific value with signature confirmation, a buyer can make a fraudulent chargeback claim with Paypal, and even if the tracking code says the item was delivered, they'll get their money back.

-Don't opt into eBay's international seller's program or what ever it is called. How that works, is you send the item to eBay's shipping center in the US, and then they send it to Canada for you. The major issue with this is now your buyer is paying twice the amount of shipping, as well as paying a massive brokerage fee to eBay. As an example, the total brokerage fee+shipping for a buyer who is buying a 100 dollar jersey from you might end up being as high as 50-60 dollars if you opt into this program. You could have shipped the jersey directly to them for roughly 20. If the buyer was willing to go as high as 160 total for the jersey, you're now costing yourself 40 dollars.

That's about it.

Honestly, this could not be stated better.

In addition to the stated above, 1st class international has a lot more risk as you cannot insure the package and doesn't have tracking (unless you print out the label online instead of taking it to the post office and paying for it there). If you want tracking with insurance priority has to be the way to go. It's a lot more so the choice is really up to you

Edited by OR68