Retail fight straps VS. Team issued

Ok guys, I know this is a fairly unimportant detail, but it's still interesting for me to know. I thought I'd start up this thread.

I just received a 2.0 Habs jersey from JerseyBaron. The strange thing is, the fight strap is double-sewn, unlike my other retail Edges (1.0 or 2.0), and exactly like a team issued jersey. I can provide pictures but it's really just as I describe.

Has Reebok upped their standards? Are all newer shipments of Edge 2.0 jerseys like this?

In the mean time, can anyone tell me for what reason was Reebok making the fight straps different in the first place? Was it just to save themselves effort and time? Is Reebok really that cheap?

It seems to me that the fight strap is one of the biggest reasons people collect authentics... so sewing the fight strap itself differently is a bit of an oddity.

Yesterday I noticed that JB's new shipment of Kings road jerseys had the double layer attachment as well. If it's true that newer batches will have this feature, then I'll be glad that Reebok is at least taking a step in the direction of making retails and team-issueds more similar, instead of less so.

Wouldn't the WC have been made quite a while ago?

I just learned of this difference just a few days ago thanks to LAK74. Hmm. I didn't take a close enough look at mine. I'll report back tomorrow. I bought 2-2.0s from RCS after they restocked (supposedly from how I was watching inventory).

I have 3 retail 2.0s of the Calgary Flames, 2 of them from this season and none of them have double sewn fight strap twill. Just 1 layer.

Wouldn't the WC have been made quite a while ago?

I checked the born on date it was well after the 2010 date. I'm actually on a flight to Boston going there for the flyers bruins game and staying a long weekend. I'll try and remember to snap a pic I didn't remove the tags yet I'm wearing it to the game

So no one knows what Reebok's point was in doing the fight strap differently?

Sometimes Reebok will put from a teams stock that hasn't yet shipped to fill an order. The jersey would then have the double twill fight strap. Reebok then just creates another jersey to replace in the team stock.

I know this because it has happened in the past with an order I placed with a retailer.

Sometimes Reebok will put from a teams stock that hasn't yet shipped to fill an order. The jersey would then have the double twill fight strap. Reebok then just creates another jersey to replace in the team stock.

I know this because it has happened in the past with an order I placed with a retailer.

That's tripped out.

Still doesn't explain though why they do it differently in the first place.

Is that a Reebok thing: 'retail authentics' and 'team (issued) authentics', or was this already the case with CCM, Nike etc.?

It's bizarre though.

It probably costs $0.10 to make that extra touch. Less than that perhaps.

That still saves them money. No matter what little bit it is, it adds up.

The fact is, players need the double reinforcement because of the wear and tear. Retail ones don't need it because people just wear them.

It makes perfect sense to not bother spending more money on an unnecessary piece.

Dan you don't attach the fight strap to your pants belt?

Only when my wife gets rowdy! Haha

Just wanted to note that my Montreal jersey with the team-issued fight strap stitching looks like it was born in 2012, and not recently...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm just trying to learn more to distinguish between retail authentics and team-issued.

So are retail sizes the standard 46, 50, 52, 54, 56, and 60? While team-issued jerseys usually run from 56, 58, 58+ and the goalie cuts?

Also, anyone able to post a picture of double layer attachment of the fight strap that is seen on team-issued? Kind of hard to just see it without a picture and I personally don't own any gamers and team-issued jerseys.

Last question was, I know that team-issued jerseys are missing the neck tags on the inside of the jersey, but if someone was to just take a seam ripper to the tags, wouldn't it just be the same? Are there any other ways of distinguishing a retail authentic from a team-issued?

Sorry for all the questions, any input is appreciated though.

Team-issued Edges can go much smaller than 56. Some players wear 52 and 54, and believe it or not, I own some team-issued 46's and 50's.

The Canadian flag size tag is sewn to the neck tag in retails. If you remove the neck tag, you would have to separate the flag tag and stitch it back on to the neck area.