Yashin is a UFA now.

WOW.

Should be interesting to see who picks him up and at what price.

Hes still a strong player and still has many years left in him.

He was a big reason for the Isles success last season.

It's a smart move, that's for sure. A 2.2 million dollar cap hit for the next eight years is better than dead weight for the next four.

It's a smart move, that's for sure. A 2.2 million dollar cap hit for the next eight years is better than dead weight for the next four.

Yup...as much as I want to see Smyth go back to Edmonton, that's money they could use to try to keep him in town. I wonder whose gonna take a chance with Yashin now?

Yup...as much as I want to see Smyth go back to Edmonton, that's money they could use to try to keep him in town. I wonder whose gonna take a chance with Yashin now?

They made the playoffs in four of the last five seasons with him, but once April came around, he made like a Yashin will get paid 17.63 million over the next eight years, why even play anymore, unless he plays for the Rangers :P . His body is kind of dilapidated (even at 33), nobody respects him, no team in their right minds will pay him more than what he's going to receive from the buyout and he is proof that Wang has more money than brains for just signing him to such a massive contract. Maybe he'll go play in Russia, the further away from North America, the better. This Yashin jersey I have is more of a scarlet letter than the fisherman jersey I have. <_< Maybe I'll replace the N with a T. I appreciate nobody bringing this jersey matter of mine up. Now...

He was due $26.5M left over the next four years, 7.6M, 7.6M, 6.4M, 4.9M. (figures all rounded up). There's a salary cap hit of $2.2M, but what is the net gain for the Isles is when all is said and done? I don't follow, I'm no accountant. :unsure: Still, they better sign Ryan Smyth if they do in fact have the cap room.

True enough- watching him misplay the puck night after night here on NYC tv and knowing how much he made- it was such a joke. Interesting how the Isles supported him and then dropped him- oh well- maybe Toronto will pick him up.