Leetch announces retirement

Today Brian Leetch announced his retirement from the NHL. Very solid player who helped whatever teams he was on.

Interesting fact I just read in the article about Leetch's retirement.

Leetch is also the only American-born player to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP after helping the Rangers end a 54-year Stanley Cup drought in 1994.

I never realized that at all about how rare it was for an American to win the Conn Smythe.

That is correct. One American in 42 years. Go Leetch!

This was just inevitable obviously. He wasn't doing anyone any good if he would've come back anyway...not at 39 years old. I can't wait to go to Brian Leetch Night at the Garden now.

Leetch is also the only American-born player to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP after helping the Rangers end a 54-year Stanley Cup drought in 1994.

I never realized that at all about how rare it was for an American to win the Conn Smythe.

That is interesting, its one of those things I never really thought about. Kinda like there wasn't a Russian name engraved on the Stanley Cup until I believe 94 was the first time.

Classy player, I still don't like seeing him in a Maple Leafs or Bruins jersey, but what a solid career.

Though i never was a fan of his game he definitely ranks as one of the top 10 defenseman to ever play the game.

He and Cheli are definitely the best US born players at the position.

Villa

I'd have to say that Leetch is definitely the greatest American defenseman simply because of his offensive stats. He averaged close a point a game for his career. Not many other D-men can say that.

Classy player, I still don't like seeing him in a Maple Leafs or Bruins jersey, but what a solid career.

You and me both brother. I personally feel he was a little shafted in that whole fiasco during the 03-04 trading deadline. Being the type of player and fan-favorite that he was, he deserved a little more respect. I was really hoping the Rangers would sign him to a one-day contract so he could retire a Ranger.

I'd have to say that Leetch is definitely the greatest American defenseman simply because of his offensive stats. He averaged close a point a game for his career. Not many other D-men can say that.

You and me both brother. I personally feel he was a little shafted in that whole fiasco during the 03-04 trading deadline. Being the type of player and fan-favorite that he was, he deserved a little more respect. I was really hoping the Rangers would sign him to a one-day contract so he could retire a Ranger.

I had just gotten to Mississippi and the only thing I knew had happened during the 03-04 season while I was in Basic was that Boucher had a 5 game shutout streak with Phoenix of all teams and Comrie had been traded to the Flyers. I never imagined seeing Leetch in another jersey and when I saw he'd been traded, I was shocked. Then I saw who all had been moved (Bondra, Jagr, Carter, Straka, Kovalev, et. al)...and WOW!

That was a crappy day for the franchise...casting out quite possibly the best career player the team has ever had. The only reason Leetch doesn't have the Rangers all-time scoring record was because of that trade. He ended up 47 off of Rod Gilbert's 1021 point pace. It's too bad because if anyone deserved that record, it was him.

Brian Leetch is an important part of my collection. My favorite has to be this one;

2070361510100337552S425x425Q85.jpg 2313192170100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

Brian Leetch is an important part of my collection. My favorite has to be this one;

2070361510100337552S425x425Q85.jpg 2313192170100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

Now that is an impressive jersey.

Yes, that '96 World Cup is definitely my favorite USA jersey. I watched every game of that tourney that year. Mike Richter was absolutely incredible and basically won the gold medal by himself. Also, that tournament was the first ever time that Leetch had captained a team. Unfortunately, it was the only time he'd have success while captaining since his stint as Rangers captain didn't lead to many good moments.

Just looked it up and only twice has the Conn Smythe been won by a non-Canadian. Leetch won it and Lidstrom in 2002 is the only other person not from Canada to win the Conn Smythe.

• 3 months later...
I will always think that's one of the best Team USA jerseys.

I have to agree with you, I forgot how great that jersey looks especially with the number in the star- very sharp!