When asked to sell outside of eBay through PayPal

Kaiser416

Does it fully cover the seller if you ship with tracking? About a year ago I made the mistake of shipping to Sweden without tracking and lost $350 when the buyer made a claim that he never received the jersey. The only evidence PayPal asked for was tracking number, which I didn't have. Any insight?

I always ship with a tracking number ,I have a buyer from Japan and it cost him 50.00 to ship with tracking and insurance .

Paypal only cares about a tracking or shipping # to confirm it was shipped

Even if you sell through ebay, if you don't provide a tracking number you're screwed. You always have no protection if you don't ship with tracking.

technically speaking, you also need a signature on any transaction over $250

i know the USPS doesnt (besides to canada), but do any other carriers offer signature confirmation from the US to europe? and if so, how much?

just do express mail, its universal from any country to any country (for the most part) and usually runs $50-60. I had one of my Timonen's shipped from Finland that way and it got here in like 4 days and I had to sign.

Paypal has the same protection policy as ebay which is why it makes me laugh when people are "afraid" to do transactions outside of ebay because they are not protected.

Ebay does a great job on brainwashing people so they can keep collecting exorbitant fees.

On another note, just providing a tracking number is not enough.

It actually has to show as delivered online.

I went through this (ironically) with some loser in Sweden.

I sold a 91-92 Skating penguin black home jersey to him and shipped with tracking.

It did not show as delivered, but he got the jersey and filed a claim and won.

I was out the jersey and the money.

I have had a couple of other instances where the same has happened with overseas shipping

This is why I only ship outside of North America now with signature confirmation. The audit trail is not there on overseas shipments.

PS: What was the Ebay user ID of the swedish eBayer you had the issue with. Mine was "archambaults"

This guy is in Chicago. Anyone know john Gannon from gameworn.net? I don't have an account there but maybe some of you know him? I was reading up on PayPal seller protection eligibility and they require signature confirmation for $325+ including shipping.

They have a good trader and buyer list. Look to see if he is mentioned around those parts

Paypal has the same protection policy as ebay which is why it makes me laugh when people are "afraid" to do transactions outside of ebay because they are not protected.

Ebay does a great job on brainwashing people so they can keep collecting exorbitant fees.

On another note, just providing a tracking number is not enough.

It actually has to show as delivered online.

I went through this (ironically) with some loser in Sweden.

I sold a 91-92 Skating penguin black home jersey to him and shipped with tracking.

It did not show as delivered, but he got the jersey and filed a claim and won.

I was out the jersey and the money.

I have had a couple of other instances where the same has happened with overseas shipping

This is why I only ship outside of North America now with signature confirmation. The audit trail is not there on overseas shipments.

PS: What was the Ebay user ID of the swedish eBayer you had the issue with. Mine was "archambaults"

THAT WAS THE GUY. Jesus. Yeah i got screwed over by him. I contacted the swedish customs as well, but wasnt able to help. His name was Leif something.

He also paid separately with 2 accounts: 1 for the jersey as goods, 2nd for the paypal fees but paid as gift. He knew what he was doing.

I've done it, paypal, like ebay, is very pro buyer and anti seller. I am always more than willing to wheel and deal off of ebay if it means it will save me some coin. I will give the buyer a nice discount and only deal with them if they send the payment as a gift. The reason I do this is so I don't run into a situation like being discussed here. Once I ship the item out I don't want to have to deal with it any further.

if money is sent as a gift, can a buyer still do a chargeback?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about using Paypal outside of eBay. Let's say I offer an eBay seller some money for a jersey and we agree on a price if I pay through Paypal outside of eBay. Let's say I send him the money to the seller's Paypal, what prevents the seller from just taking my money and not shipping the jersey?

Thanks for any input

As long as you don't send it as a gift it's the same protection as if you do it over eBay.

Okay thanks a lot, I've just never bought anything outside of eBay before

Paypal has the same protection as eBay, unless it is a person you trust, I would completely avoid shipping outside of US/Canada.

I'm assuming you are an honest seller, in which case, you can ask them to send the paypal payment as a "gift". Personally, I would never buy anything from anybody online who asks for the money to be sent as a gift, as I'm pretty sure Paypal "gifts" aren't covered the same way regular transactions are. Some people might not have the same issue I would with it, so it might be a way to go. In short, if you are a buyer, never, ever, send a payment as a gift. If somebody's rational is that there are paypal fees, and that is a deal breaker for them, offer to throw in an extra few dollars to cover the fees rather than to pay as a gift.

To my knowledge, the only way to avoid chargebacks completely, is to send with proper insurance (meaning, you can't underclaim the value of the jersey if shipping out of the country), tracking, AS WELL as signature confirmation.

Another way chargebacks happen is through the buyer claiming the item is not as described. I'm not sure how this would work outside of eBay, but on eBay the best way to protect yourself is to make sure you describe any flaws in the item as specifically as possible without missing anything.