NHL announces a new outdoor game for March 2014

oiler99

The Chicago Blackhawks and Pittsburgh Penguins will face off in an NHL outdoor game scheduled to be held on March 1st 2014 at Chicago's Soldier Field. The game is part of a new series called "Coors Light NHL Stadium Series", a group of regular season outdoor games due to take place next season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422135

What does this do for the Winter Classic? If the NHL is going to start a new "series" of outdoor games, does this replace the WC in a few years?

If the Rangers are indeed the away team as stated before, they should just wear their WC jerseys again instead of creating something new.

In fact, I think that aside from possibly a patch, all of the teams in the outdoor games other than the Winter/Heritage classic should wear "existing" jerseys and not create new ones.

Chicago could wear their old WC jerseys against Pittsburgh in the powder blue WC jerseys.

New Jersey can wear their Xmas tree jerseys. The Isles I'm not sure about, their current home is the most classic style they have (in an Edge cut).

The Kings must wear the purple and gold. Anaheim, meh all their stuff is ugly anyway.

BINGO WE HAVE A WINNER

But then how are they supposed to make all that money off of those new jerseys that they never even produce and therefore don't sell?

But then how are they supposed to make all that money off of those new jerseys that they never even produce and therefore don't sell?

The league might not. I take what Akteon said to be an option that could come true. Teams could just wear their third jerseys that were throwbacks. This way the league would not have to force teams that continue to play in outdoor games to create new jerseys. Honestly, I believe the teams who are frequent participants - Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, New York, etc. - don't want to have to create a new jersey about every other season. This might eventually get old. And for the Original Six teams, you can really only recreate so many designs and jerseys since their logos, colors, and uniforms have not really changed much throughout their history.

• 4 weeks later...

According to an Isles Nation interview with Garth Snow, all teams playing in outdoor games next season will have new jerseys designs:

Will there be a new third jersey? Probably. Our focus regarding jerseys has been to come up with an outdoor jersey. It won’t be too much different than what we wear now but every team has a different jersey that they wear for it. I can say from the pictures of it, it’s a sharp jersey. I think everybody will like it, but it won’t be drastically different from what we wear now.

I hope the Rangers just stick to one jersey for the two outdoor games they have, otherwise it would be beyond ridiculous.

According to an Isles Nation interview with Garth Snow, all teams playing in outdoor games next season will have new jerseys designs:

I hope the Rangers just stick to one jersey for the two outdoor games they have, otherwise it would be beyond ridiculous.

And Steiner would have them wear 8 sets for each game.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Liberty v. Fisherman. #DoItForTheKids #JT91ForCaptain #Outdoors

It'll never happen, but that would be great. I don't know that the Islanders can produce a worthwhile alternate, hell I'm even getting bored with the Rangers alternates. Navy was never really one of their colors, it just happened to work with the Liberty jerseys. If Snow is right and ALL teams are going to have special jerseys for the outdoor games, hopefully that means the Rangers will either wear their WC jerseys and maybe promote them to full-time alternates, or they'll come up with something new entirely to use as an alternate eventually.

Snow said the Isles are going to be similar to what they are currently wearing. I'd be interested to see our current home with vintage white instead of white and vintage white collar instead of orange. I really like the Maple Leafs' Classic jersey

Ah yes, not just a Winter Classic and a Heritage Classic, but a series of outdoor games from California to New York, apparently with new jerseys for all. NHL, you have gone and done it now.

000-0906000143-killingthegoldengoose.jpg