New York Islanders 25th Anniversary Patch Discrepancies

NYIJM29

I have 3 25th Anny Patches.

-A repro

-What I believe is an authentic

-What is on my Palffy jersey (which I believe is a TI jersey, but I don't know)

Did the Islanders have a different size patch on their gamers than what was made available for retail? Can someone please post a picture of a close up of a 25th gamer patch (if you have the jersey?). I know for the 40th Anniversary patch, there is a size difference between the gamer patches and the National Emblem ones.

IMG_3335.jpg

(Top left: Retail authentic, sewn on jersey, bottom: Repro)

I compared the differences on here somewhere before, but cant find it. I can say for sure the bottom is the replica and the sewn on is authentic as youve already said. Never seen the 'retail' authentic but I know the game worn ones have that diagonal striping in the direction.

Thanks for the help and fast reply!

When I say retail authentic, I mean patch that you can buy in the store/officially licensed. I bought that patch from MPZ on eBay, so I always thought it was legit. It is sized differently than the authentic patch on the jersey. The bottom is a Patch Collection patch, so it wouldn't use the term replica to describe (I like the term repro lol).

When I say retail authentic, I mean patch that you can buy in the store/officially licensed. I bought that patch from MPZ on eBay, so I always thought it was legit.

MPZ was selling replicas as well as authentics, and some of those "officially licensed" store boughts can really differ from what was worn on the ice.

Unfortunately I know nothing of that 25th patch...that said, I've seen different variations of several patches that were used on-ice, so I wouldn't necessarily discount anything until I've found a few gamers to compare and match.

Incidentally, I recently had a chat with a fellow board member about the differences between game jerseys from year to year, and did a quick write-up to show how easily it can be to confuse what was actually worn and/or how jerseys are customized.

Your estimate is correct with the patches.

The sewn on patch looks like a team issued/game worn patch. The biggest area to look for on those is the stanley cups. Only the game worn and team issued patches have the correct color and curvature to the lines making the cups. All the repro and authentic patches look like a grey mis shapen hour glass with lines running through it.

The loose patch on the top left is what would go on an authentic jersey from the era. And the bottom patch is a reproduction patch.

Thanks Chow! That's what I like to hear!

So it is possible this Palffy is a game issued or team issued jersey? (There is no stamp on the inside of the crest). Palffy wore 54 with the Isles, which is the jersey size

Only neck tagging

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3318.jpg

Also. To explain the next question obviously of why there are 3 different versions. The game version is first created and approved in high quality stitch patterns and thread count. These are made and sewn to game worn jerseys for use that year. Ccm then makes the authentic version on large production runs based on the original but the thread count and detail is usually skewed as its digitized from a different source then the original patch. Lastly. People who make repros are taking the ccm version and further augmenting the original design with their own poor quality versions. Usually you can see all the intricate details from a gamer patch are lost on the retail and subsequent repro patches due to less sophisticated machinery making the patch or poor digitization or duplication of the thread colors and patterns.

Strong possibility its a team issued blank that got customized. If you look inside the neck further to the right inside the jersey are there any other tags sewn in. The retail version had tags sewn down near the shoulder area almost. The gamers from 96-97 have just the made in canada and fly tag central to the neck like yours does.

I wouldnt say game issued. The equipment manager sharpies and marks behind the crest if it was ready for use. Also gamers and game issued jerseys got recycled for 97-98 and the patch would have been removed in all liklihood. My guess is team issued blank correctly customized.

Awesome! Thanks again for the help Chow!

I wouldn't think it was GI because of what you said. But I was thinking a customized TI jersey