Help Desperately Needed

Kyle Butler

Hello everyone.

First of all, I'm glad I found this forum. Being new to jersey collecting, I wasn't aware at the sheer number of fakes/counterfeits out there. After reading the guide to spotting them on here and saving myself some disappointment with an errant eBay purchase, I knew I had to join.

Anyway, I wasn't sure where I should post this but my patience is wearing thin. I am looking for a CCM Blue XL Gretzky Oilers replica jersey (around $150-200) and after hours upon hours of research, I have a few questions.

1. Is the "Heroes of Hockey" series substandard? I saw on another forum where people were critiquing the inaccuracies on these jerseys. Am I better off just buying a jersey from a site that will add the name & number themselves? I see they do this on Custom Throwback Jerseys, but I have read some bad things about them online.

2. Is there a list of reputable jersey dealers? From website stores to Amazon sellers to eBay users, it's all rather confusing. I DO NOT want to purchase a counterfeit or cheap knockoff. I know there's a thread where you can post eBay finds to have them "legitimized" by other members, but certainly there has to be an easier way? What eBay sellers do you trust?

Sorry to ramble, I just didn't think it would be this difficult to purchase a jersey. Any help would be appreciated!

Replicas are almost never faked. 99.9% of all fakes you see will have fight straps and be customized to a current or recent player, with the exception of the Gretzky fakes where people are constantly knocking off old Starter Rangers jerseys with Gretzky on them. That said, just buy a blank replica on eBay and send it to EPS (Exclusive Pro Sports) and they'll do it up for you. I'm sure somebody here knows of a better place to send Oilers jerseys, though.

Hello Kyle Butler ...

tumblr_lrw1os03uF1qcutuo.jpg

If there's a jersey you're worried about, post it on the "Is it good or not" thread and folks will gladly help you out.

As for legit sellers, retailers like Ice Jerseys, Jersey Express, & River City Sports sell legit jerseys. There are legit sellers on eBay as well, if you wonder about a specific seller just post and we'll try to help with that too.

When it comes to fakes, just remember if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Also, as Dropkick said, replicas are rarely faked - unfortunately many fake sellers misuse the term replica. Replicas normally have alpha sizing (S, M, XL, etc.) whereas Authentics have fight straps, double elbows, and use numeric sizing (48, 52, 56).

(if your name isn't a Dexter reference, please excuse the creepy photo :lol: )

Like Dropkick said, if you're specifically looking for a replica, it's probably going to be legit. If you buy a Heroes of Hockey series jersey, though, just make sure it doesn't have a fight strap and a numeric size, because if it does, it's almost certainly fake.

I checked around 5 stores that sell legit products, but only one (Rocky Mountain Sports) had the jersey you're looking for in the size you wanted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WAYNE-GRETZKY-EDMONTON-OILERS-JERSEY-CCM-VINTAGE-BLUE-/120932793554?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item1c2827fcd2

Not cheap, but up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Or you could buy a blank and spend another $60-70 to get it customized the way you want it. Here's one on eBay that could be a good deal if the price doesn't go too much higher:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDMONTON-OILERS-NHL-Vintage-Hockey-Jersey-/280903384011?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4167257bcb

Thank you guys for all the help and links! I feel like I have learned a lot over the last two days just by browsing this forum.

akteon, my name is a Dexter reference, so that picture of Arthur Mitchell was more amusing than creepy :D

Many props to all for helping this longtime fan start a jersey collection!

I didn't want to start another thread just for this, so I'll ask it here...

Does anyone know of a seller/site who sells a Canucks Replica "skate" jersey with the 1994 Stanley Cup patch and the Canuck Place & 2 Pts. F.G. patches sewn on? (and hopefully customized for Trevor Linden)

SportsK.com and IceJerseys.com have them, but without patches- you'll have to find them. They can customize them for you, though.

Find out who does Edmonton's customization for the team. They are local, I know, I had some Koho ones they did for an Albertan guy whose collection I bought but they are long gone so I can't check the tags now.

Does anyone know of a seller/site who sells a Canucks Replica "skate" jersey with the 1994 Stanley Cup patch and the Canuck Place & 2 Pts. F.G. patches sewn on? (and hopefully customized for Trevor Linden)

Again, very expensive, but Rocky Mountain Sports has some already customized, with or without the 1994 Cup patch (not sure how accurate the patch is; there is a lot of variation in the different versions available). You still have to find the CP and FG patches, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TREVOR-LINDEN-VANCOUVER-CANUCKS-1994-CUP-JERSEY-CCM-VINTAGE-BLACK-SKATE-/120927927086?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item1c27ddbb2e#ht_1999wt_825

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TREVOR-LINDEN-VANCOUVER-CANUCKS-JERSEY-CCM-VINTAGE-BLACK-SKATE-1994-/360464694539?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item53ed5ebd0b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TREVOR-LINDEN-VANCOUVER-CANUCKS-JERSEY-CCM-VINTAGE-WHITE-SKATE-1994-/360464738218?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item53ed5f67aa

They also have some signed ones available.

Thank you to everyone for all of this useful information! I have one more question to ask & I promise I will leave everyone alone (for awhile). ^_^

After much deliberation, I have decided to spring for an authentic jersey! The Trading Post section of this forum in particular has a number of the other jerseys I am looking for at great prices. The only problem is... I AM CLUELESS ABOUT SIZES!

Here are my vitals: 5'11", 195 lbs, average build, usually wear XL in shirts.

I know sizing varies by company and jersey design/year, so I am stumped. Adding to my ignorance, I currently own only one hockey jersey. It's a Bauer Team Canada jersey, essentially the white version of this one (without any sitching, name or number) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Brodeur-Team-Canada-Hockey-Jersey-Bauer-New-Jersey-Devils-Olympics-/220946994660?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item33717795e4

Like the one on eBay, it is a size large and fits the way I would like future jerseys to fit; a little but not too baggy, decent length (a good way past the waist) and sleeves that aren't rediculously long (almost to the end of the thumb with arms held straight down). Mine measures about 26" armpit to armpit like the one in the link.

So what sizes should I be on the lookout for? I am interested in 90's CCM jerseys, late 90's Nike's and Reebok 6100's and Edge's (pretty much everything!) Any firsthand knowledge from the members of this forum will be EXTREMELY appreciated. I will also take more measurements of either myself or my lone jersey if necessary.

Sizes have varied from manufacturer to manufacturer. CCM ran smaller than Nike which ran much larger than most everyone else. Amazingly, Starter varied from team to team. The real rhyme and reason of it all didn't happen until CCM/KOHO took over every team for good in 2000. That's when everything became the same size.

So what sizes should I be on the lookout for? I am interested in 90's CCM jerseys, late 90's Nike's and Reebok 6100's and Edge's (pretty much everything!)

My guesstimates as to what you may want to consider trying first to get as close as possible to the fit you want:

Late 90's Nike: These are huge, I don't think you have much choice other than a 48, and even that might be a little large.

90's CCM ultrafil/airknit: A size 50 would give you a width between 25-26", but sleeve length (wingspan) might be close to 68", does that compare to your Bauer? If that's too long, maybe you could fit into a 48, but it would probably be a bit less baggy than your jersey.

Reebok 6100: These fit pretty big and boxy, with really wide arms. I'd probably start with a 48.

Reebok Edge 1.0: These fit very differently than any other jerseys. Because of the tapered cut, you may hear people the same size as you say they like their jerseys even 2 sizes bigger than what you feel is comfortable. I'd start with a 52- it will fit slimmer than other jersey brands but the arms will still be quite long. If you go any bigger than 52 to get more width, the sleeves may be excessively long.

Reebok Edge 2.0: The sleeves are shorter but baggier, and chest more roomy than the same size Edge 1.0. I wouldn't go over 52- maybe even a 50 would be OK, but the sleeves might be slightly shorter than on the other jerseys mentioned above. Still, I don't think a 50 would be too narrow on you chestwise.

It might help to know the wingspan of the jersey you have. If it's different from what I imagine, it might slightly change some of my recommendations above.

Thanks for the one by one sizing! It's exactly the info I'm looking for. Wingspan on my Bauer is approximately 68", if that changes anything.

No, I don't think it really changes anything. That Bauer is pretty huge for a Large! But knowing you fit in it makes me more confident in my recommendations on the larger end of the scale, i.e., 50 in CCM, and 52 in both Edges. You might even go up to a 50 in the 6100's, which should be OK width and lengthwise but might LOOK baggier than other jerseys due to the huge arms.

LAK47, thank you for your expertise! I can't wait to post in the New Arrivals thread when I finally decide what I'm going to buy/ :thumbsup:

You're very welcome, and good luck in your purchases!