Torres Suspended 25 Games

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=629019&navid=DL|NHL|home

Wow, I figured he'd get 10 games, but after seeing his history 25 is about right. He's been fined or suspended 5 times, what's it gonna take to get a full season suspension?

Torres is a dirtbag and deserved to get the book thrown at him, but this is beyond excessive.

I'm really curious to know how Shanahan and company came to the conclusion this hit deserved 25 more games than the Neal hit on Couturier. Both were interference (in fact the Neal hit was about 2 seconds later than the Torres hit), both left their feet and both were to the head. Yet Neal jumped to brace himself apparently.

I know Torres has a history, which obviously plays a large role, but not this much.

It's the same problem again and again. No consistency

I'm really curious to know how Shanahan and company came to the conclusion this hit deserved 25 more games than the Neal hit on Couturier

5 games for each time he's been disciplined? :D

Seriously though, this arbitrary crap really does need to stop. There needs to be a clearly defined rule on discipline for hits to the head, like MLB has with steroids. Something like the first offense with no history of discipline is a fine and 1 game suspension, 2nd offense is a fine and 5 games, 3rd is a fine and 10 games and anything beyond that is a full season suspension. That would go much further in eliminating these dirty plays if guys knew in advance that they'd be suspended for X amount of time.

Of course, that shouldn't be applied to incidental contact. I think a lot of these bulls*** suspensions come on hits where the player delivering the hit makes contact with the head unintentionally, and the player being hit sells it. If it's a blatant hit to the head like what Torres did, and what's been going on throughout the playoffs so far, then it should absolutely result in a suspension. You can't eliminate all contact with the head entirely, it's the nature of all contact sports and the players know when they agree to a contract that there's an inherent risk involved, but you can eliminate dirty players blatantly targeting opponents.

Good. I absolutely hate that goon after what he did to Michalek a few years ago. He has absolutely no respect for the integrity of the game. The NHL doesn't need that kind of player.

25 game sure caught me off guard. I know he was a repeat offender, but that's up in the skate stomping territory. You sir, have just been made an example of.

The inconsistency of suspensions is concerning.

Agreed. I don't understand how the NHL decides what constitutes a suspension and for how long, and I don't think the NHL knows either.

Pretty easy to suspend Torres a 4th liner for 25 games but the NHL has shown no willingness in being consistent with suspensions when it comes to superstars vs players like Torres. When the nhl levels some sort of real suspension on a player that matter then i will care for now i simply see this as way of the nhl to defend it's image to is sponsors.

25 games is not that long, that suspension will run out before someone here gets over being butthurt over getting called out on the internet. :lol:

Torres got 5 games for the hit, 20 games for stripping a game-worn jersey.

LMFAO! Not gonna lie, I spit when I read that. That's hilarious.

Like others, 25 games surprised me. I was thinking 10-15 games.

While I agree the suspensions seem inconsistent recently, I will say that I think it's much better now with Shanny's video explanations than the old way under Soupy Campbell.

Like others, 25 games surprised me. I was thinking 10-15 games.

While I agree the suspensions seem inconsistent recently, I will say that I think it's much better now with Shanny's video explanations than the old way under Soupy Campbell.

What has seemed consistent in the NHL recently? :wacko:

What has seemed consistent in the NHL recently? :wacko:

In terms of penalties being handed down for hits, NOTHING!

But to answer your question, how about Shanahan doing a POOR job! Yes. <_<