GU Jersey w/ a Name Plate change

NYIJM29

I don't know if this was seen in the "It arrived" thread, so I will start a new topic.

I bought this jersey

IMG_8802.jpg

There is evidence (glue) of a nameplate removal. Who wore 37 for the Isles last season? My boy Kirill Kabanov. I think I might have bought a Kabanov jersey changed to Rosen. What is proper protocol on this jersey? It is obvious there was a nameplate change (the name plate is sewn on with zig-zag when Stitches normally uses a straight stitch and the glue) so can I go to Stitches and get a new Kabanov nameplate made up and switch it back (or contact the Isles to see if they have a Kabanov nameplate?).

Here is the timeline of the jersey (I think)

June 2010 unveiled at draft

July 2010 Isles Prospect camp (Kabanov wore 37)

Sept-Early Oct 2010 preseason (can't recall how long Kirill made it in the season)

July 2011 Kirill changes number to 77, Rosen wears 37 during prospect camp

Update. I just talked to Kirill Kabanov. He said he doesn't own his 37 white jersey (well, because I do :doh:) and he has no idea what the Isles did. He is extremely happy I am making it a Kabanov!

Nice! How did you get a hold of Kirill Kabanov? I'm glad you got the information you were looking for. Don't forgot to post up pictures of the finished jersey!

Thanks! Facebook lol. Ben Rosen was a camp invitee for prospect camp, so I am now 99.7847% sure this is Kabanov's first Islander jersey. I tried talking to the Islanders about it and they had no idea. I am going to get a new nameplate made up. I told him I am making it the Kabanov 37 an he seemed really happy!

I just noticed there is a nice un repaired hole on the sleeve!

Cool! I am sure he was very happy to see someone was able to pick up one of the jerseys he wore and changing the nameplate to make it exactly like when he wore it. :thumbsup:

I hope so lol. I really want to buy a Maineiacs jersey now and customize it to Kirill. I know it sounds weird, but it means a lot that a hockey player actually took time to play with fans (and I was one of them :thumbsup: ). Also, he responded to me on Facebook! I know its weird to add some players as friends, but some are chill (I made Trevor Gillies laugh. He posted a video of Bobby Ryan scoring that amazing goal in the playoffs last year and said he was proud of his roomie/teammate from the Portland days and I commented "You taught him that Trevor, right?" and he wrote "Haha I wish Jeremy").

Gotta love it when players actually take the time to chat/comment with the fans. When I go to signings/ meet and greets (paid or free) and they chat even if its brief, it adds so much to the experience. I am happy for you. :D

I have mixed feelings on the protocol. But if it makes you happy, by all means, go for it!

We are in the hobby for our enjoyment.

This is why I prefer the minor leagues. Our team's kids club has several events a year where the boys bowl, drive go-karts, mini-golf etc with our kids and it means a lot to them. At the bowling and mini-golf events we end up with a lot of time to talk to them as well and they have been awesome. It is really cool getting the insight they can provide and it is even cooler when they greet you by name later in the season.

Thanks LGC, you're right. This is for my enjoyment. This jersey will be the second in my growing Kabanov collection!

If anyone is interested, I have more alledged facts (talking to someone that collects GU jerseys):

Here is the editied info I sent him:

-June 2010 white was unveiled at 2010 NHL Entry Draft

-September 15 2010 Kirill wore it in the rookie game v. Boston (look on the NYI photos on their website, page 14, picture 7) (and most likely the following night)

-October 1, 2010 Dean McAmmond wore number 37 in a PS game at NJ (though, the residue from the name plate switch isn't that long..it fits perfectly for Kabanov, not McAmmond...the former name plate looks like/measures to 1 letter at the beginning and end of the name plate, which fits Kabanov, not McAmmond. Is this sick that I actually measured lol?). I dont know how true this is, but I recall seeing the new white McAmmond gamer being sold at the prospect camp over this past summer (don't know if I am imagining things. But this would mean that McAmmond never wore this jersey because Rosen was wearing this jersey during the 2011 Prospect camp).

-July 16, 2011 Kirill wore a blue jersey w/ #37 during the Blue/White prospect game. Ben Rosen, a camp invitee, wore the white jersey with number 37

-Sometime Summer 2011 Kirill changes number to 77.

-October 15 Jeremy buys jersey with Rosen nameplate, is extremely confused :D

However, a new variable was brought up.

We know that Kirill wore the royal #37 version of the jersey at the prospect camp in July 2011. At the rookie games in September, the Isles wore the new Reebok jerseys (Reebok spelled out on the back, instead of the vector). One of my friends said she couldn't decide between buying Wishart or Kabanov's jersey at the sale during the Sept rookie games (I just remembered this part of our conversation from the other night). If the jersey she almost bought was blue (waiting for her to confirm for me lol), and there was no white Kabanov jersey to be found there, we can safely assume, IMO, that this jersey belonged to Kabanov and Rosen, possibly McAmmond as well. Don't forget, Kirill does not own his white #37 jersey (I asked him last night on Facebook lol).

Update It is confirmed that the jersey was royal, not white.

I already spent 2 hours (30 minutes writing out this response lol) trying to figure it out. Thank you for listening to me ramble. I don't think anyone else was willing to do so :D.

Gotta get to the bottom of this. I will do whatever it takes, even if it means asking Kirill on Facebook. :thumbsup: The fact Dean McAmmond wore 37 as well makes me believe all 3 wore the jersey. There is an unrepaired hole on a sleeve and the white stripe on the bottom of the jersey is coming off (I am worried it is going to fall off). I don't think it would have this much wear if it was only worn by Kabanov and Rosen in 2 preseason games and 2 prospect camp games.

If this is in fact Kirill's jersey, it would have been his first Isles.

Am I taking this too far?