OT: eBay member non-existent courtesy rant

ferro39

a little while ago, someone made an offer on a jersey through ebay and I accepted. 5ish minutes later, i get a message from the buyer that reads, "Will not buy cause it will not fit." no "i made a mistake" or "im sorry," just that he wont buy it because it wont fit. never mind the fact that the size was listed twice in the auction description.

i dont know, maybe i just have a case of the mondays, but it really, really rubbed me the wrong way. at least if he would have accepted responsibility or even just worded it differently than 'jersey no fit me no buy,' i wouldnt be as p1ssed.

it's not a major deal, but i also have to lay out for a second auction now and wont get credited back until it does sell. lame all the way around

/rant

i did and he did, but it appears i was charged when i re-listed. in smaller print, it said something like i "may be eligible for a credit if the item sells"

laying the buck out again is really the least of my concerns though

:angry:

i have the same problems with ebay BUT it seems like when i post something here and another hockey site it RARELY gets a wiff of interest, and when i do, SOME people on here back out.. i know ebay is worldwide advertising but it would be nice to sell something to a "collector" on here than to "sell my soul" on the bay..listing fees, final fees and paypal fees make it almost worthless anymore... just sold an item and my auction states "INSURANCE & CUSTOM FEES ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITY".. they buy the item, i package it up VERY soundly and i get a email saying it's broken (after they waited almost a week to open it).

i explain that they didn;t buy insurance (but i did) and i tell them that if they want to file a claim contact fedex..NOOOOOOO, they're too lazy and think it's MY problem and want me to handle it... i say that fedex will probably want to see the item and box it came in for the claim and it's easier to handle it on their end and they STILL refuse.. i give up trying to please people that you can NEVER please! :fight:

:blush: that's my monday rant and i NEVER do it on here but i had to vent, and btw, i STILL have stuff to sell and could really use the $$$..lol :thumbsup:

I dont mean to take over this thread, but instead of starting another ebay related thread I figured I would just post here.

So i sold one of my replica Flyers jerseys on ebay last week (Thursday). I dont sell much on ebay but the other items I have sold, the buyer paid right away so there was no hassle at all. For this sale, I have not received payment yet or even heard from the buyer. I sent the invoice within the hour of the end of the auction stating that I would ship and leave feedback once the payment clears. I then sent another email yesterday just as a friendly reminder to pay the invoice.

How long do people generally wait before taking action? I figured a week should be enough time to pay.

What should be my next step?

I sold something yesterday and the person hasn't paid yet. It really pisses me off when they don't pay ASAP. I want my money and I want to ship the item. If its been a week, I would send a cancel transaction thing and see if they accept. I waited a week for someone to pay me and I used the cancel transaction option and they paid within 24 hours.

I'm on the other end. I bought a jersey and it showed up with scarring from removing a heat glued number being removed. We went back and forth before I took it to paypal and won. Seriously, do these guys think by not mentioning various flaws that the buyers will somehow not notice?

How long do people generally wait before taking action? I figured a week should be enough time to pay.

What should be my next step?

i use to wait a week then file the unpaid item strike, but lately, i just wait 72 hours.

if someone gives me a heads up, i dont mind waiting a week or even 2 weeks for payment, but when i have to be the one to ask the questions and follow up, it bothers me a lot.

lately, ive had a lot of people bid on items on the last day or even the last hour and then not pay for 4-5 days...and to take that one step further, ive also had a rash of people win things and then email me a short time later telling me that they cant afford to pay for the item.

last week, i sold a jersey. it had 2 bids and both came in the last couple of hours of a 7-day . right after the first person bid, they emailed saying that they couldnt afford to pay for it (it was like an $8 jersey). as it turned out, someone else out bid them and won. a short time later, they also said that they didnt have the money to pay for it.

Agreed. I just got hit with my first negative feedback because of the postal strike. I sent the buyer almost DAILY updates on the strike( he bought it the day before they dropped the lockout up here) mailed it 2 days after it was clear to send...then the jackass hits me with "31 days and still no jersey" Like its MY OWN personal fault Canada Post went on strike.

And thx Ferro, I am the guy that bought that Ducks 3rd off ya. I would have paid right away myself if it wasnt for these PayPal claims. I appreciate the patience!

I think it's a two-way street. A couple years back, I placed a bid on an item...I think it was a Monday. A couple days later, I find out that a close family member has passed away, and between that time and the funeral, the bid I placed ended up being the winning one. I checked my email 24 hours after the auction ended and found no fewer than six invoices from the seller waiting for me. Obviously not being in any mood to deal with it, I logged out. When I checked the next morning, I had three more. That evening (less than 48 hours later), another five. In 48 hours, I'd been hit with 14 invoices. I then responded and said "I'm out of town for a funeral, I'll be back (whatever) day, and I'll take care of it then."

The next day I had about 10 "please pay for your xxx item", so finally I sent another reply that said something like, "As stated before, I'm out of town for a funeral and will be back (whatever) day. Enclosed is a link to the online obituary, in case you really feel like verifying my story. I'm aware of the pittance that I owe for this item, so quit sending these damned things." 24 hours later, there were about 15 more. At that point, I rather kindly suggested where the item could be forcefully placed on or in the seller's body, since it wasn't going to be making its way to me. That's apparently what prompted some half-hearted apology from the seller about "I've had a lot of deadbeat bidders lately, so blah blah blah." I responded with something to the effect of "I'm sure that harassing via invoice spamming has nothing to do with that", and that was that.

I've been on both sides. I've sold items that have taken a while to pay for, and I've bought items where other circumstances preclude a swift payment. For that matter, I've also provided a quick payment and been hosed, prompting a civil suit. I'm certainly sympathetic to someone who needs to basically extract payment via force, but the fact that there are deadbeats doesn't mean that anyone asking for a couple of extra days is a deadbeat.

I would just make sure you post in your auction when payment is expected by so there is no issues of not knowing.

In all the jersey sales I have had on ebay, the seller has paid within 48 hours. I mention to pay within that time frame so I take it whoever buys my jerseys reads the entire listing description. I like for buyers to pay RIGHT after the auction concludes but I understand if they wait 24-48 hours. To me if someone waits a week at most, then that's bull because it's like they forget they even bought the jersey!

As a buyer most of the time I pay right after the auction ends (if I am online), especially with "Buy It Now". If I win an auction that ends late at night, I will pay the next morning.

Feedback has been more of an issue for me. I've had to message the seller and buyer to get feedback sometimes. To me that shouldn't happen and is NOT proper buying/selling etiquette. If the buyer pays within the desired time, then the seller should leave feedback before shipping the item. When the buyer gets the item they should leave seller feedback. It's as simple as that!

Feedback has been more of an issue for me. I've had to message the seller and buyer to get feedback sometimes. To me that shouldn't happen and is NOT proper buying/selling etiquette. If the buyer pays within the desired time, then the seller should leave feedback before shipping the item. When the buyer gets the item they should leave seller feedback. It's as simple as that!

This has been a real pain for me as well. Bought a jersey a few weeks ago, paid within 24 hours of auction ending, and still don't have any feedback from the seller. Well, he doesn't have any from me either. I hate being so childish, but this is really frustrating. Some sellers will put right in their terms and conditions that they will not leave feedback for buyers until they receive their feedback "so they know the buyer is satisfied." I guess that at least puts you on notice before you buy, but I still don't like it. If I hold up my end of the bargain, I should get positive feedback, period.

This has been a real pain for me as well. Bought a jersey a few weeks ago, paid within 24 hours of auction ending, and still don't have any feedback from the seller. Well, he doesn't have any from me either. I hate being so childish, but this is really frustrating. Some sellers will put right in their terms and conditions that they will not leave feedback for buyers until they receive their feedback "so they know the buyer is satisfied." I guess that at least puts you on notice before you buy, but I still don't like it. If I hold up my end of the bargain, I should get positive feedback, period.

That is exactly how I see it.

For the items I have sold, I give feedback to the buyers right after they pay strictly because I would want a seller to do the same if I was buying.

On my note, the buyer of one of my jerseys finally gets back to me today after I say if I dont get response or paid by tomorrow that I will open a non-paying bidder case. Turns out this guy now needs until next Thursday to pay. A week after the auction ends, the buyer finally contacts me and states he needs another week to pay. Jeez

ive barely been getting any feedback lately from my selling. id estimate around 35-40% of the time the past few months.

doesnt help when im trying to get my power seller status back

As a seller, I don't leave feedback until the transaction's wrapped up for a few reasons. For one, I've noticed buyers are more reluctant to boss you around and try to get over on you if you've already wasted a main recourse. Secondly, the transaction isn't done. Yea, great if they paid, but if someone tries to screw you after you ship it, or complains, or does anything, don't you want to make a note of it on their account? As a buyer I always leave feedback when I get the item, and as a seller I wait until they've left feedback, otherwise you never know what's going to get thrown in your face.

Also, as a seller, if someone leaves you negative feedback that's completely inappropriate, such as complaining about it not fitting when the size was noted, something like that, I believe eBay can remove them if you say something. I had them force a guy to change feedback because he said the sleeves were too long or some junk.

The first time I used e-bay I bought a jersey from somebody where the listing said it was an authentic jersey and it wasn't. I ended up filing a claim and winning, so in the feedback I wrote that I won my case against him. Needless to say it got deleted, and I got a warning e-mail about it. X_X

ive barely been getting any feedback lately from my selling. id estimate around 35-40% of the time the past few months.

doesnt help when im trying to get my power seller status back

Everyone's view on this unfortunately is that positive feedback is not left unless it is received.

There are tons of trransactions where I did not leave feedback for the seller because they did not leave it for me when I paid.

It really irks me when sellers wait until the buyer leaves feedback. I completed my end when I pay, so why not leave feedback.

Some people do, but they are few and far between.

ive just been leaving everyone positive feedback lately, so for me personally, i know it's not that.

i checked my profile earlier this afternoon. ive left feedback 707 times and have only gotten 497 back in return. traditionally, there are always people who dont leave it, but like i said, it's gotten much worse recently

Everyone's view on this unfortunately is that positive feedback is not left unless it is received.

There are tons of trransactions where I did not leave feedback for the seller because they did not leave it for me when I paid.

It really irks me when sellers wait until the buyer leaves feedback. I completed my end when I pay, so why not leave feedback.

Some people do, but they are few and far between.

I mentioned earlier how it's not really upholding the buyer's end by just paying. There's more that can go wrong...maybe you've been lucky on your selling on eBay but I haven't been and people have tried to completely screw me over, and I have no recourse and no way to flag that person as shady. If I send someone something with no problems, and they lie and say they didn't get it, or it's damaged, wrong, etc, and they're lying, they have no upheld their end.

Playing devils advocate here, but just because the jersey got to me doesnt mean I'm going to leave positive feedback. At least a portion of the times when I don't leave feedback is because I feel like the issue does not deserve a negative feedback, but it definitely does not deserve a positive. The biggest one that falls into that category for me would be overcharged for shipping. If you charged me 20-25 and your printed sticker says $8.25, you better believe you're not getting a feedback.

Playing devils advocate here, but just because the jersey got to me doesnt mean I'm going to leave positive feedback. At least a portion of the times when I don't leave feedback is because I feel like the issue does not deserve a negative feedback, but it definitely does not deserve a positive. The biggest one that falls into that category for me would be overcharged for shipping. If you charged me 20-25 and your printed sticker says $8.25, you better believe you're not getting a feedback.

Well the point of feedback is to let someone know what to change or what you're not pleased with, so you're really not ending the transaction, there's no closure. Not even playing devil's advocate, I've had someone wait until the 89th day to leave me negative feedback and file a claim. What should I do there? Also, I have 5 stars in every category and I charge exact shipping, even have the scale, so that's never an issue with me haha. I've never had a complaint, I typically have it packaged to go the night someone pays and out the next day. I always fulfill my end, so I expect either feedback or a solid complaint. I've had one legitimate complaint where I messed up, and I corrected it the next day and got feedback accordingly. Also with shipping, someone said I overcharged and I hadn't noticed (before the days of my scale) and I refunded the extra.

Yeah I mean not leaving feedback doesn't seem like the right answer in that case. Isn't that sort of what neutral feedback is for? I leave neutral if I'm happy with the item but unhappy with the shipping, be it too expensive or the jersey is stuffed in an envelope and folded poorly.