Shoulder Patches

AngeloS76

The topic title just about sums it up... What do we think of shoulder patches (on NHL jerseys)?

From an aesthetic standpoint, I think that many current jerseys could do without shoulder patches. There have been plenty of jerseys over the years that have looked sharp without shoulder patches, and it often seems as if they are thrown onto the jersey simply because it's the general trend. My case in point is the current Bruins alternate jersey:

107789187.jpg

The patches seem to 'float' on the shoulders and don't look like they belong there. Maybe it's just me, but they are too awkward for my liking and I'd rather have empty shoulders on this particular jersey.

So what do we think? Are shoulder patches a welcome addition or are they just an eyesore?

I generally like shoulder patches as I'm a Blackhawks fan and I think they go well with the jerseys. On the other hand, I'm also a fan of the Devils and shoulder patches on their jerseys would look out of place.

I like shoulder patches as long as they are not anniversary patches and there is one on each sleeve.

Is this a dig at the Rangers last season? lol

I feel like it depends on what it is. I like the shoulder patches on certain jerseys, like the Liberty jersey. I REALLY like it when they changed one of the shields on the shoulder to the 75th Anniversary patch though, so it was 2 different patches on the shoulders. You don't see those often.

Actually no. From an aesthetic point, I think it looks better on the right breast. However, in the rangers' case, it needed to be placed on the shoulder due to the RANGERS crest on the jersey being too close to the right breast. I would have liked the Isles to put the 40th patch on the right breast on the home/away jerseys and keep it on the shoulder for the alternates, again, with a wordmark it will look to cluttered on the front of the jersey.

Also, when you hang a jersey, the anniversary patch can get creased.

I think it takes away from the jersey if you have room on the front of the jersey and neglect to put the patch there. It looks lost if there is only one shoulder patch.

Since the EDGE uniform was instituted, the Penguins don't have shoulder patches on ANY of their EDGE jerseys. Doesn't really bother me that much. I guess for me it depends on the jersey. If it's a classic jersey, then I would like it without shoulder patches (if applicable). But if it's an EDGE or newer, then shoulder patches are fine with me.

Since the EDGE uniform was instituted, the Penguins don't have shoulder patches on ANY of their EDGE jerseys. Doesn't really bother me that much. I guess for me it depends on the jersey. If it's a classic jersey, then I would like it without shoulder patches (if applicable). But if it's an EDGE or newer, then shoulder patches are fine with me.

I love a shoulder patch...I especially dug the small RoboPenguin on the Pittsburgh jerseys from 2001-2007... I wish it was still there.

To me a jersey almost always looks incomplete without them. Not always, but I prefer them in the case of new jerseys, Original 6 excepted.

I think if there's any sort of striping around the shoulders, a patch looks good, but when there is no accentuation of the shoulders, it looks better without a patch.

For example, the Islanders jerseys look fine without patches, while Minnesota's 3rd jersey looks empty without anything on the shoulders (putting the standard logo, like the Aeros do, would solidify the awesome-ness of that jersey)