Your Favourite Season For Jerseys

JackFr

What season, overall, do you think had the best jerseys?

I'd go against the grain and nominate 2003-04.

A lot of really fantastic jerseys, carry-over from the good 90s jerseys, and a lot of great looks lost in Edge.

1998-99. Best Ducks and my favorite Bruins, Lighting, Flyers, Rangers, Flames, Sabres, Avalanche, Senators, Penguins, Coyotes, Sharks and Stars.

Honorable mention? 1996-97. Fisherman, Whalers, All Star and Canucks. Sigh. The golden years.

What season, overall, do you think had the best jerseys?

I'd go against the grain and nominate 2003-04.

A lot of really fantastic jerseys, carry-over from the good 90s jerseys, and a lot of great looks lost in Edge.

Same because of the retro jerseys.

1982-83. Light blue dureen St. Louis? Ye olde script font Detroit? Flying V Vancouver? Sunday gold in Pittsburgh? Seafoam green in Connecticut? Forum blue and gold in Los Angeles? Perfection. Plain and simple.

1995-96. The Avalanche, which brought Starter into the NHL (sorry that Quebec did go), the famous 6 "third" jerseys, and some great IHL jerseys, the one and only season for the San Francisco Spiders, the new Cleveland Lumberjacks, and my avatar, the Los Angeles (that season only) Ice Dogs. I spent some money that season.

96-97 because four Isles jersey, Whalers, some other cool ones as well

Close second 03-04 (same as 05-06, but with a nice ASG jersey...my favorite all time)

I really think we are about to enter a golden age for hockey jerseys. Lots of teams are going retro/ditching their horrible digs in favor of better ones in the next year or so if they haven't already.

I'd say we're about to enter a solid, yet boring age for hockey jerseys. Teams are reverting to their old looks like crazy, and are afraid to try anything new or modern. They look nice, but there's hardly anything interesting anymore.

Without a doubt, 1990-91.

Boston's jerseys were great, the Sabres were still in their original style, the Flames had not added black yet, the Whalers were still wearing green, Los Angeles had ditched the Liberace purple and gold by then, THE NORTH STARS WERE IN THEIR FINAL SEASON WEARING GREEN, the Devils were still wearing green and red, the fisherman had not arrived on Long Island yet, the robo-penguin had not arrived, the Nordiques were still the Nordiques, the Blues had not added the diagonal lines yet, the Caps were still in their original sweaters and the Jets were still in Winnipeg. Even the NHL All-Star jerseys were at their peak that year.

If only the North Stars had kept their green jerseys one more season, 1991-92 would have been the pinnacle with the addition of the Original 6 Turn Back the Clock jerseys, but that year loses points for the North Stars in black and the arrival of the Sharks in teal.

http://nhluniforms.com/1990-91.html

'85-86

Rangers wore their New York road blues. LA Kings Still Purple and Gold. Blues still had the arched Blues on the front. Cambel and Wales jerseys are awesome for All Star game. Capitals have 5 stars on their sleeves. Winnipeg still in WHA style. Quebec did not add their two color numbers. Everyone was perfection.

I'd say we're about to enter a solid, yet boring age for hockey jerseys. Teams are reverting to their old looks like crazy, and are afraid to try anything new or modern. They look nice, but there's hardly anything interesting anymore.

I agree with this. There's such a fear of backlash that we're going to be seeing a lot of older looks on new materials.

I'm on the same page as Jeff, I like that early 90's era before the 3rd jersey, relocation and rebranding of teams.

I have been thinking about starting to collect a home and away gamer from each team of the 92-93 with the 100 Cup patch.

Regardless of what player, I think it would cool to have a full set.

I'm on the same page as Jeff, I like that early 90's era before the 3rd jersey, relocation and rebranding of teams.

I have been thinking about starting to collect a home and away gamer from each team of the 92-93 with the 100 Cup patch.

Regardless of what player, I think it would cool to have a full set.

Yes! I agree wholeheartedly with this! Definitely the early 90s. Specifically, 1991-1992, where all the teams wore the 75th anniversary of the NHL patch. I loved the Nordiques and Whalers jerseys from that time. Plus, other teams like Vancouver and Washington had their vintage jerseys - skate style and red, white, and blue. I also liked that the Original Six wore the TBTC jerseys during that season to commemorate the NHL. Classic, just classic. :thumbsup:

My dream would be to have a home and away customized authentic (+ third jerseys) of every team from 2003-04, but even at an optimistic 150 per jersey that's 82 jerseys ad 12000 dollars. I may just go for replicas and then see where it takes me.

1998-99. Best Ducks and my favorite Bruins, Lighting, Flyers, Rangers, Flames, Sabres, Avalanche, Senators, Penguins, Coyotes, Sharks and Stars.

Honorable mention? 1996-97. Fisherman, Whalers, All Star and Canucks. Sigh. The golden years.

As much as I love the white Liberty jerseys from 98-99, I think I'd reverse yours and go with 96-97. If only because that was the last year the Rangers used the old style blue jersey with the blue piping around the sleeves and waist before switching to the current style with the lace-up neck. I really don't like those jerseys.

1984-85...classic Bruins, Buffalo, Flames, and Blackhawks. Oilers in Nike. Kings still in pre-hip hop colors. Devils in the green and red. Penguins and Nords in nice bright colors. Nice Toronto jerseys that year as well. Also last year Vancouver would wear those Ace Frehley inspired "V" jerseys. Four teams had red, white, and blue in their color schemes. Not to mention the Flyers went to the cup! A good year IMO.

I guess it depends what you like. I'm not necessarily a traditionalist, but I cannot stand the stupid vertical piping among other things many teams tried out since switching to Reebok. I can't wait for the Oilers away, Panthers home and away, and Flames home and away to change. I definitely think the Islanders made a huge improvement by switching back to their old look, etc.

Is it really that bad if teams look at the best jersey they've had in their history and revert to that?

I'll take the boring looks over the crazy stuff that looks ugly. I think 07-08 might be one of the worst years for hockey jerseys, and that teams are now finally recovering from it.

I guess it depends what you like. I'm not necessarily a traditionalist, but I cannot stand the stupid vertical piping among other things many teams tried out since switching to Reebok. I can't wait for the Oilers away, Panthers home and away, and Flames home and away to change. I definitely think the Islanders made a huge improvement by switching back to their old look, etc.

Is it really that bad if teams look at the best jersey they've had in their history and revert to that?

I'll take the boring looks over the crazy stuff that looks ugly. I think 07-08 might be one of the worst years for hockey jerseys, and that teams are now finally recovering from it.

07-08 is probably my least favourite year by far. Rectifying ugly Edge designs is all well and good, but I preferred the early 2000s where teams weren't afraid to try something new.

While as a Blackhawks fan I do not have to get over concerned about the changes in our jerseys over the years; minus the cosmetic changes to the labeling or size of the Hawks head (like in 1988-1989 when the head appears to be crushed by a vice). Gotta go with the 1991-1992 season. The Hawks were still wearing ultrafil and they had the wonderful TBTC jerseys. The fact that they made the finals adds to it. My favorite jersey is my white Roenick from that year. I have had it since 1992 and recently got it altered. Got the 1992 finals patch sewn onto a piece of ultrafil and over and around the NHL 75 patch like the Hawks and Pens did that year (gotta love how cheap teams were back then on recycling their jerseys).

I do not like the Hawks alternate all black jerseys. They came out of nowhere and am happy they have been replaced in the last few years since the Winter Classic.

Yes! I agree wholeheartedly with this! Definitely the early 90s. Specifically, 1991-1992, where all the teams wore the 75th anniversary of the NHL patch. I loved the Nordiques and Whalers jerseys from that time. Plus, other teams like Vancouver and Washington had their vintage jerseys - skate style and red, white, and blue. I also liked that the Original Six wore the TBTC jerseys during that season to commemorate the NHL. Classic, just classic. :thumbsup:

Don't forget the extremely tough 25th anniversary patches; Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, St. Louis, and especially Minnesota.

I dont like jerseys

You lie.