How is the worth of a game worn jersey determined?

Curry1fan

OK, I apologize if this sounds like a stupid question, but I've been wondering about it for awhile, and after seeing a jersey I determined to be overpriced on Ebay, I wanted to come here and ask it.

How exactly is the worth of a game worn jersey determined, meaning how do sellers like Meigray determine how much a jersey sells for? Is it personal opinion, or is there a set of criteria sellers follow?

I ask because I saw a Paul Bissonnette Wheeling Nailers jersey on Ebay tonight. Obviously, that falls in my collection theme, so I was interested. Imagine the look on my face when I saw the seller was asking $999.99, way, way out of my range. Yes, I love Paul Bissonnette and his Twitter is hilarious and all of that. But let's face it. The guy isn't exactly Sidney Crosby. Was it because the jersey isn't exactly a common one, or is the seller just being too greedy? I wouldn't put Bissonnette's worth at more than $400 myself, but what do I know? If I did know, I wouldn't be making this thread I suppose...

So I am just curious...what goes into determining the price of a gamer? I am thinking it's some of these factors.

-How much wear is on the jersey? (a jersey with light wear vs. one that is hammered)

-Who wore the jersey? (an AHL nobody called up for one game vs. a Crosby/Ovechkin caliber player)

-How hard is the jersey to get? (rare team/style)

-How popular is the player and how in demand are his jerseys by fans? (Some players' jerseys are avoided like the plague; other players, everyone wants)

-Do special patches or other such tribute jerseys (like the ones the Flyers wore for Rod Brind'Amour night) factor into the price?

Like I said, my question is...is there a set way across the board to determine the price of a gamer, or does every seller do things differently? Like would Byron's Hockeyland list a jersey for the same price Meigray would? Or if I decided tomorrow to sell one of my gamers, should I do what I notice other sellers doing, or set my own range?

What do you guys think?

A jerseys value is whatever someone will pay for it. On a given day, Jersey x may go for $450, a month later it may go for $650.

Your factors listed are pretty much spot on. The age of the jersey and team play big factors as well.

An even better question is why did Meigrey put that Orr up for $69,995 and not $70,000?

Are they thinking that 70k would sound stupid high but $69,995 is way more reasonable?

Like somehow you would take the five bucks you saved throw on your new jersey and head to Starbucks to buy a coffee and show off your nifty new purchase.

So I am just curious...what goes into determining the price of a gamer? I am thinking it's some of these factors.

-How much wear is on the jersey? (a jersey with light wear vs. one that is hammered) The more worn, the better, making it worth more.

-Who wore the jersey? (an AHL nobody called up for one game vs. a Crosby/Ovechkin caliber player)Yes, star players are worth a lot more than one game wonders.

-How hard is the jersey to get? (rare team/style)Usually only applies if the team is defunct, in which case yes or if the jersey is old.

-How popular is the player and how in demand are his jerseys by fans? (Some players' jerseys are avoided like the plague; other players, everyone wants)This is really the same as two above, as everyone likes star players or character guys which makes all their stuff more expensive.

-Do special patches or other such tribute jerseys (like the ones the Flyers wore for Rod Brind'Amour night) factor into the price?Yes this makes them more expensive as patches are usually worn for a year at the longest, and if you can get patches worn for a single game that makes it worth more.

Just my opinion.

While I agree with all the above points, it really just comes down to how much YOU are willing to pay for a specific jersey. Something I've noticed in my years of collecting game worn jerseys, is that quite often, if someone knows that you focus on a specific player they contact you telling you they have a jersey of said player are willing to sell it if you're interested. When you ask how much, it's usually waaaay more than a similar player would go for. For instance, I'm a big Lonny Bohonos fan, you'd be amazed how many times I've been contacted by people with a gamer of his and they're asking $400-$500. I know it's just because they know I really want his jerseys, but c'mon, he had a cup of tea in the NHL. Players with his NHL experience can be had as low as $150 sometimes. It's nuts. So I only have 2 of his jerseys because I'm not willing to pay a ransom for a guy most people have zero interest in. It's all about how much you are willing to spend.

There was a Bissonnette for sale atJ & J Distributing just a couple weeks ago, but it appears to've sold. A lot cheaper than 1K too, as I recall.

The auction youre talking about with the Bissonette is a 999 Or best offer auction.. Of course youd price it high like that in the best offer format, why not?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260761712176

Hopefully everyone sees the MAKE OFFER option..

Haha I see that now. But still...makes you wonder if the seller would take something below $1,000 (like way below) in my case, or if they are serious about selling it for a high price.

Figure out what you wouldbe willing to spend on it. Knock about 75 bucks off that price and submit the offer.

The seller will counter with something more like his actual want price and you can counter that.

Just remember you only have 3 offers to use on any one item in an auction during that listing.

If he comes even close to what yu want to spend take it before he gets a better offer or somebody uses the BIN and takes it away from you.

An even better question is why did Meigrey put that Orr up for $69,995 and not $70,000?

Are they thinking that 70k would sound stupid high but $69,995 is way more reasonable?

Like somehow you would take the five bucks you saved throw on your new jersey and head to Starbucks to buy a coffee and show off your nifty new purchase.

It might be a mental thing to trick you into thinking the price is lower (closer to $60k) when in fact if you put in shipping it'll be slightly over $70k. They do a similar thing with less expensive jerseys. I've seen a few listings at $595 thinking, 'hey not bad in the $500 range', completely forgetting about that extra $100 on top. Whoops.

Orr only played 26 games for the Hawks, making it super darn rare. And plus, it's freaking Bobby Orr! lol

I still wouldnt cough 70k for it...thats just craziness:)