Shipping Question

CJ Matthews

OK, so I've become accustomed to receiving jerseys by now, and everybody seems to package things differently. So now that it's time for me to send something out myself, I was wondering what everybody thought was the best way to pack up a jersey or two. Do you just fold it and put it in the box? Wrap it up in a plastic shopping bag first? I've even seen bubble wrap used once. Usually I see medium flat rate boxes for 1 jersey, but what would you use if you're shipping more than one? Also, what's the best shipping method? Just with a confirmation number? Do you do insurance? Do you wrap the box in so much tape that when the person on the other end gets it they're like "WTF is going on here!?". Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'd like to make sure nothing gets ruined.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't know how to fold jerseys here's a guide

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=785

Usually when I receive a jersey the sender uses a plastic bag, so plastic bag would be fine. You should always have insurance on your package just in case that something goes wrong.

If you want a great box for free, there's a way to get free Priority boxes from eBay. I order them in increments of 20, I don't have the link handy but they self seal, and they're delivered to you for free. I only ship Priority anymore, and I always make sure none of the jersey is exposed, usually achieved with plastic bag usage. Priority is typically between $5-10 for a jersey, and it's pretty fast. If you have a scale or know the weight, you can print out a shipping label online, save money, and get free delivery confirmation. They'll also pick it up at your door for free.

I've never had one complaint shipping out a jersey this way. The size of the box seems just right for pretty much any jersey, customized or not.

Unless the jerseys are huge, you can usually get 2 jerseys in a medium flat rate box.

If you could find that link for me later that would be great. I'd love to do that if I could. I'll try to get 2 jerseys in the medium box if I can. One of them isn't lettered yet, and the letters/numbers are getting stripped off the other one, but I'll be careful anyway.

**Waves Hand** There was no link here.

Flat rates are rip offs, by the way, I've never seen the costs even close between flat rates and priorities.

I'd always fold them as neatly as possible, put them in a bag and then into the box. The bag's just for a bit of extra protection against the postal service dropping it in a puddle or something :) Bin bags work pretty well for that, always air-tight and you know there'll be no muck in them to begin with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boston-Bruins-Large-Yellow-Alternate-Koho-Jersey-/230599445559?pt=U_Hockey_Fan_Shop&hash=item35b0cc4c37#ht_500wt_1156

Flat rates are rip offs, by the way, I've never seen the costs even close between flat rates and priorities.

Did you mean to link me to a jersey? lol

Hahaha...yes...? Sh.

http://ebaysupplies.usps.com/

Touche.

That's great. Now I just need to find out which ones are the medium sized boxes that would be good for shipping 1-2 jerseys at a time. Which ones do you use specifically?

The roughly 12x13x3. I've squeezed 2-3 in those before.

Do you know if they do these boxes for people in Canada?

This is the closest I can find, and seems like a rip:

http://stores.ebay.ca/CanadaPostFlatRateBox

I'd suggest the US boxes, but I don't think you can use them without flipping them in Canada. Whenever I ship up north, I use different boxes.

I got USPS boxes directly from my post office for free. They had multiple different sizes for either the Flat Rate box or their standard USPS box. They even gave me labels to take home as well.

OK so I just tried to fold up 2 jerseys to get ready to ship out. The Pro Player blank that I folded up folded well enough to fit in the box, but the CCM jersey with #99 on it I couldn't fold without bending some of the numbers to make it a size that will fit in the medium box, so I don't know what to do with it. I didn't fold it over, so it's sitting here poking out of the end of the box by about 2 inches. I might have to put it in a larger box, but that's gonna be a pain if I have to do that every time. Suggestions?

So I just spent the last half hour teaching this kid how to fold a jersey, and I too failed miserably. I know how to properly fold a jersey without creasing anything, but not to the point where it's small enough to fit in a 13 5/8" box. I did get my fake down to 13 1/2, but I wasn't taking a chance with my Gretzky. How do you guys do it? Lol :(

Another question regarding shipping from Canada to the US. Somebody sent out a jersey to me on Thursday, and the website has the original scan, but nothing since then. It's Monday afternoon. Should I be worried, and if so, what should I do?

OK so I just tried to fold up 2 jerseys to get ready to ship out. The Pro Player blank that I folded up folded well enough to fit in the box, but the CCM jersey with #99 on it I couldn't fold without bending some of the numbers to make it a size that will fit in the medium box, so I don't know what to do with it. I didn't fold it over, so it's sitting here poking out of the end of the box by about 2 inches. I might have to put it in a larger box, but that's gonna be a pain if I have to do that every time. Suggestions?

So I just spent the last half hour teaching this kid how to fold a jersey, and I too failed miserably. I know how to properly fold a jersey without creasing anything, but not to the point where it's small enough to fit in a 13 5/8" box. I did get my fake down to 13 1/2, but I wasn't taking a chance with my Gretzky. How do you guys do it? Lol :(

With two of the customization jobs I got back (my Bruins Bourque and my Avalanche Sakic), both were folded to fit into cubic UPS boxes, and the numbers turned out fine. The numbers were bent to fit inside the boxes, but nothing ended up creasing. As long as you don't do anything to crease them directly, I think you'll be fine.

Another question regarding shipping from Canada to the US. Somebody sent out a jersey to me on Thursday, and the website has the original scan, but nothing since then. It's Monday afternoon. Should I be worried, and if so, what should I do?

It should be normal if that happens. I remember when I bought something from Amazon it was shipped out on Friday and then after that there was no status updates until after it arrived to my door. Nothing to worry about unless if your jersey didn't arrive for weeks.

Yes I shipped this jersey out and gave you the tracking information and clearly stated Canada post is not very good at scanning packages .I only send my items out with a tracking and insurance to pertect me and the buyer .When this comes in I hope you will add to this thread and say it has arrived thanks

Sorry about that. I just tend to get really nervous. I didn't mean anything by it, it's just me. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Canada -> US definitely takes a bit longer due to customs etc. I'm sure things are fine. I've got some stuff coming from MLL -- and it's taking longer for shipping than it took Don to get the customization done, LOVE these guys :)