Stripping question

Big A HG

I've done some research on stripping jerseys, and know how to accomplish it. However, what I couldn't find is this...

Is it better to do the stripping yourself or have it done via third party? I have confidence that I could do it myself, but if there is a place that you'd be 100% sure would do it right, I'd rather go that route.

I have two strip candidates, and they are both the shiny dazzle material...which I haven't seen anyone strip. I believe, but am not sure, that there is glue only on the outer edges of the names/numbers.

I've stripped a Team Canada Nagano Olympics jersey, that has the "dazzle" or "ice sheen" material on the arms.

That is the hardest material to strip cleanly in all the ones I dealt with so far, but after a good battle with the iron, came out relatively clean.

It depends on how much glue is used to stick the customization onto it. Since you say there is not much, it could come out pretty clean.

So would you recommend doing it yourself or outsourcing the work?

Shouldn't be too hard to do yourself.

Like HockeyMusic said it's all about how well the name/numbers are heat pressed down.

As long as you take it slow and be careful dazzle isn't too bad. I've stripped many NFL jerseys with shiny dazzle shoulders with no problems at all.

Any last comments before I go buy a seam ripper tomorrow?

Any last comments before I go buy a seam ripper tomorrow?

Yeah good luck. I've never done it before, but if I were to strip a jersey I'd definitely get someone else to do it. I'm not good with my hands.

I do it all the time....personally I'd recommend starting out on some jerseys you don't care about just to get the feel of it, you'll probably slip a few times the first time you go about it and you don't want to damage a jersey.

Well if you think you can handle it then go for it.

What I usually do it try to grab at the material behind the name/numbers.

If i can peel it off the numbers from the inside of the jersey, it will be a good candidate.

If not, i would be a little hesitant (not impossible though) since dazzle material might be more sensitive to this than, say, air-knit.

I trust my hands. I've done a bunch of precarious stuff with golf clubs, completely self-teaching myself as I go, and can say that this, while being a completely different subject matter, is similar in the learning process and skill required.

I would be 1000 times more pi$$ed if I let someone else do it and they screwed up opposed to me doing it and screwing up (although I'd still be mad).

There is glue, I'm 99% sure, but I'm pretty sure on the back numbers that there is only glue on the edges, not a complete coverage. I can peel the fabric to a point near the edge, but not all the way to the stitching.

So far so good on my first strip. I have two jerseys that are getting the strip job, and jersey #1 so far has no glue (jersey #2 may be a different story, even though they were customed at the same place). There is a very faint stitch line that I will try to lightly iron out (or if you have a better solution, let me know). It isn't that bad, though, but we'll see how the whole thing is when it is completely stripped.

I took my time, went nice and slow, just doing a couple stitches at a time. It's a bit tedious and stressful, though, knowing that you can't just hit up eBay for another.

• 3 weeks later...

So I am stripping the "A" off my Pirates jersey, and I have removed all the threading, the only thing keeping the letter to the jersey is some glue at the top of the letter. Should I pull on it or use some kind of solvent on it?

img0979mim.jpg