Cleaning an Ultrafil jersey

redbeard3569

I just picked up a late 80's or early 90's Authentic Collection Maska Ultrafil jersey. The label says it's 100% polyester. It's a white Kings jersey that was picked up from an abondoned storage auction. This thing is covered with years of dirt and other assorted grime.

How can I wash this? It is customized with a name plate and numbers both on the sleeves and back. I didn't want to just toss it in the wash or have it dry cleaned without some input. I don't want the name plate or numbers to pucker or the fight strap snaps to rust away.

Any ideas how to get this looking white again without killing the black and grey?

Oh, and, by the way, it is autographed but thats not a huge concern.

Thanks for the help.

Turn it inside-out, put it in the washing machine, use a small amount of detergent and put it on the delicate/gentle cycle in COLD water. When it's done, let it dry on a wider plastic hanger. That won't hurt anything about the jersey. I've used that method many times and even on those old 80's jerseys with any issues at all.

Turn it inside-out, put it in the washing machine, use a small amount of detergent and put it on the delicate/gentle cycle in COLD water. When it's done, let it dry on a wider plastic hanger. That won't hurt anything about the jersey. I've used that method many times and even on those old 80's jerseys with any issues at all.

Thanks. Hope it works. This thing looks like it was kicked across the storage unit on the way to the auction. Dirty as all get out. Would using a Tide pen on some black marks hurt at all? Some nasty looking black marks on the bottom under the crest.

I second what Brilliant said.

To add to that, I typically put some white shirts in the wash as well and put the detergent on them. When the wash is done, I lay it out on a flat surface to dry (no hangers).

Thanks. Hope it works. This thing looks like it was kicked across the storage unit on the way to the auction. Dirty as all get out. Would using a Tide pen on some black marks hurt at all? Some nasty looking black marks on the bottom under the crest.

I have never used Tide-To-Go before, but I have heard that it doesn't really help. I suggest that you try Brilliant!'s suggestion and see how the jersey looks after the wash. Good luck. :thumbsup: