Pittsburgh Winter classic 2008 jersey

mlaval

I have a authentic third Pens jersey (baby blue) and I always wanted to make it a winter classic 2008 jersey by adding the patch. But I always thought that the jerseys wore for the WC 2008 were not Edge jerseys or at least different than the ones used as thirds by the Pens in the years after until today. I've looked through the board and did not find the topic I was looking for.

So If I have a authentic Edge Baby blue third Pens jersey is it perfectly accurate to smack a WC 2008 patch on it?

Thanks

They have always worn EDGE jerseys at the Winter Classic, only the replicas have been 550 cut. You can add the patch to the Pens alternate but not the new Sabres away since those are updated throwbacks.

What the guys stated above is correct, EDGE jerseys have ALWAYS been worn in the Winter Classic. So if you wanted to make your Penguins alternate blue a Winter Classic jersey, you could by just adding the patch. However, the EDGE jerseys worn in the 2008 WC were NOT made available for retail. The only type of '08 WC jersey available for sale were the CCM 550 replicas for both Buffalo and Pittsburgh. So technically the only way to obtain an "authentic" 2008 WC jersey is to find a gamer.

So technically the only way to obtain an "authentic" 2008 WC jersey is to find a gamer.

When you say that do you just mean that the jerseys never hit retail with the patch, or that there was some kind of very subtle difference between the third and the WC 08 jerseys (for example a date in the collar like they started this year).

Sorry for double asking... I just want to make sure I am not doing something stupid.

Thanks

What he means is, during that 2007-08 season, the Penguins didn't have a third jersey. Those powder blue jerseys were worn exclusively for the Winter Classic and were not available in pro versions. But, because the exact same style was used as their new 3rd jersey the year after, all you'd need to do is put the patch on one and it would be identical. So, to answer your initial question, yes. Putting a Winter Classic patch on a Penguins powder blue EDGE jersey is exactly the same as the ones they wore on the ice for that game.

When you say that do you just mean that the jerseys never hit retail with the patch, or that there was some kind of very subtle difference between the third and the WC 08 jerseys (for example a date in the collar like they started this year).

Sorry for double asking... I just want to make sure I am not doing something stupid.

Thanks

Brilliant! pretty much summed up what I said. No what you are doing is not stupid. Actually, it's a pretty good idea. If I ever get an alternate blue, I may in fact take your advice and add the patch. :thumbsup: Like Brilliant! said, it is the CLOSEST thing you are going to get to the actual "authentic on ice" 2008 Penguins WC jersey. Unless, like I said, you find a game worn jersey from that game, which I understand are not at all cheap. So in all likelihood this is your best bet.

EDIT: Go for it and let us know how it turns out.

Any hope of getting/making a sabers wc? Anyone on here have one? The lace up aspect is the dilemma.

The only Sabres jerseys that were made for retail were the CCM 550 replicas, not the EDGE authentics. Your only real hope of getting a Sabres WC jersey is to find a gamer. There are Reebok 6100 Sabres jerseys that look like their WC ones on ebay, but they are 6100 style, not EDGEs. The only other hope is if Buffalo switches their uniform again to the jersey they wore in the WC, then you could just add the patch and you'd be set. But since they just switched their white uniform for this season, I don't think that is likely.

Also, the proportions of the WC jerseys were totally different from the Sabres originals. Take a look at the "piping" Reebok had around the blue shoulders- way thinner than anything you'll be able to buy.

If you ever go to HSBC they have one on display- the far right end of the Sabres historical display.