New All Star Game Format

JohnnyOnTheSpot

So...

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-nhl-all-star-game-has-a-new-format-2010-11

Apparently they're taking a page from the playground rulebook, and they're basically picking all players the same, but a captain from each conference will select the players for that team. Seems absurd.

Now the implication for us is...since teams are allegedly picked the weekend of the ASG, how the hell are we going to get jerseys in time? This upsets me. Thoughts?

There's no way this goes through. No way. Is there? Because if it does, I think every one of the sponsors will pull their plugs out of the NHL generator. That is, without a doubt, the stupidest idea to come from this league since FoxTrax. It's not necessarily a bad thing to try new things but for craps sake, keep it within some semblance of sanity. Why not just throw sticks in the middle of the ice and have some kid pick the teams instead? MORONS. YOU'RE ALL MORONS.

There's no way this goes through. No way. Is there? Because if it does, I think every one of the sponsors will pull their plugs out of the NHL generator. That is, without a doubt, the stupidest idea to come from this league since FoxTrax. It's not necessarily a bad thing to try new things but for craps sake, keep it within some semblance of sanity. Why not just throw sticks in the middle of the ice and have some kid pick the teams instead? MORONS. YOU'RE ALL MORONS.

Don't knock the pond hockey way. I agree it doesn't work in the ASG, but don't throw it in there with the dumb s*** the NHL does. Its a disgrace to the art.

Lol I've played too many games where my team was picked from a pile of sticks haha. I mean, apparently this has been approved and it's going to be announced in the next few days. This is a retailer's nightmare.

I am sure everyone knows who is going to be picked before hand and it would be unveiled to the public on the Friday. Also, I am sure Crosby, Ovies, Stamkos, etc. jerseys will be made ahead of time.

I don't know, I think this really messes up the jersey business, at least before the all star game when people actually want to buy the jerseys.

I don't know, I think this really messes up the jersey business, at least before the all star game when people actually want to buy the jerseys.

Maybe it does, but most jersey collectors will probably wait until after the game for deals/make sure their player plays and isn't injured etc.

I didn't buy my Winter Classic jerseys until well after it this past year. And people who bought Emery jerseys early got boned in the process. For event specific jerseys, I'd just like to be 100% sure.

Maybe it does, but most jersey collectors will probably wait until after the game for deals/make sure their player plays and isn't injured etc.

I didn't buy my Winter Classic jerseys until well after it this past year. And people who bought Emery jerseys early got boned in the process. For event specific jerseys, I'd just like to be 100% sure.

I buy a WC jersey/game and got an amazing deal on my Flyers one. It was $25 shipped. I tend not to buy all star jerseys, however, if one of my boys, James Wisniewski or JT makes it, I might have to buy it.

The players will know that they are playing in the game, however, they do not know what team they are on. I personally think it is a terrible idea and that it should be East/West or NA/World

What's the big deal? All Star games are usually horrible. Why not try something different? And there will not be one sponsor object to this. If anything, the novelty will bring more attention.

I actually love this idea. Cant really give you a compelling argument or anything, but it brings back memories I guess.

I have to agree that I like this idea. Though first and foremost the starters should be voted in by the fans, which is how it's done. I think it's interesting for the captains as they have a little more pressure on themselves to pick the other players. Do they go for the "best" players in their respective conference? Do they pick teammates they play well together with?

This idea is worse than Cooperalls.

Yeah, just because someone tried to revolutionize sports equipment as we know it, Cooperalls were ahead of their time.

Also, for those who think sponsors will drop becuase of this I think your wrong, they essentially created another media event, the draft, to go along with the two events.

And as much as I wouldn't agree with it, you don't think Ovy/Crosby drafting against each other would cause intrigue for sponsors, namely by piquing the interest of ESPN? If ESPN knows the NHL is willing to get creative and dote on that match up as much as ESPN can handle, it will attract interest when the next TV contract comes around.

I wasn't arguing about whether this was a good idea or not, I'm simply saying that it's really going to mess up the retail of the jerseys. I try to buy an AS jersey every year for the Flyer that makes it (except 2008, the year no Flyer made it :closedeyes: ). This is going to mess my plan up for before the game.

I wasn't arguing about whether this was a good idea or not, I'm simply saying that it's really going to mess up the retail of the jerseys. I try to buy an AS jersey every year for the Flyer that makes it (except 2008, the year no Flyer made it :closedeyes: ). This is going to mess my plan up for before the game.

2008 was a terrible ASG. Wish Rick DiPietro didn't make it. Ever since then, I always voted Lundqvist as the starter B)

According to Icethetics.info's facebook,

NHL All-Star Game 2011 uniform details: There will be a red team and a blue team. Both jerseys will use a modified NHL shield on the front and unique number stylings on the back. The red team will wear the light/white sweaters. More details to come soon on the blog.

http://www.facebook.com/icethetics