Jim Basillie apparently NOT purchasing Penguins

Brilliant!

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/press/arts/2196.0.php

Things aren't looking good for the Pens. Everything is hinging on the Isle of Capri going through now for the franchise to remain in Pittsburgh.

That sucks to hear. I was hoping that something could work out to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh (still hoping too), though if they do move, I would like to see a team move North of the Border. If I am not mistaken the Flames are the only team to relocate into Canada.

You are correct. Atlanta was the only team to ever defect INTO Canada becoming the Flames obviously.

Now, the Penguins aren't doomed YET. They still have to win the vote on the Isle of Capri opening. If that happens, they'll have the money committed to build a new building. If not, then they're most likely gone...unless a miracle happens. Frankly, I think Winnipeg deserves its team back. The Jets never should've left in the first place. I know Kansas City is building an arena but this league needs more support in its home country of Canada.

When the first news on Balsillie broke weeks ago, the guys in the studio on TSN were all happy about it and talking about what a good businessman Balsillie is and how the Penguins will be in great shape, etc. etc. Well, that didn't work out. I wouldn't mind if the Pens moved west, that way they could shift the redwings to the Eastern Conference. I don't want anymore teams to relocate, though.

To be honest, I can't see the Wings moving East. It seems like a good idea since they're the farthest east of the West teams but Nashville would benefit the most by moving to the Eastern Conference. They would fit right into the Southeast Division and flourish with local rivals such as Atlanta and Carolina. This way the Capitals could go back into the Atlantic Division and bring back the CLASSIC 'Patrick Division'! Besides, Detroit has been in the Western Conference since the league went to the new format in 1981.

I would love to see Winnipeg get a team again.

Winnepeg is deserving for sure. It would also be nice if Quebec got a team back, but it will never happen. Those Habs - Nords rivalries were legendary (just check out the video I had posted HERE). If by some miracle the Penguins would actually end up in Quebec, it would be an ironic reversal of what they did for Denver when their team moved there just as the talent was peaking and became a cup winner. Pittsburgh could be a dynasty in the making, and whoever gets them will be one lucky city.

Winnepeg is deserving for sure. It would also be nice if Quebec got a team back, but it will never happen. Those Habs - Nords rivalries were legendary (just check out the video I had posted HERE). If by some miracle the Penguins would actually end up in Quebec, it would be an ironic reversal of what they did for Denver when their team moved there just as the talent was peaking and became a cup winner. Pittsburgh could be a dynasty in the making, and whoever gets them will be one lucky city.

I agree, I miss the Nordiques too. Quebec got so screwed with that team getting good about the time they up and moved. I told a guy from Denver once that Denver fans were lucky they got a team like the Nordiques and didn't have to go through the painful years that Quebec fans did with the Nords. I don't think he agreed with me as he got pretty defensive, haha. Its funny, but had they stayed in Quebec, Patrick Roy would've never ended up with the organization and it would be a drastically different look to the NHL's history from 95-present.

To be honest, I can't see the Wings moving East. It seems like a good idea since they're the farthest east of the West teams but Nashville would benefit the most by moving to the Eastern Conference. They would fit right into the Southeast Division and flourish with local rivals such as Atlanta and Carolina. This way the Capitals could go back into the Atlantic Division and bring back the CLASSIC 'Patrick Division'! Besides, Detroit has been in the Western Conference since the league went to the new format in 1981.

Of course, Nashville. It's silly (rhymes with Balsillie) that they don't have a league-created rivalry with the other Southern teams. Washington being in the Southeast Division doesn't make sense until you map it out and you got it, they can be sent to the Atlantic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Flyers rivalry with the Penguins is a fraction of their rivalry with the rest of the division? Now for all this to happen, the Penguins would have to move west, of course.

Its funny, but had they stayed in Quebec, Patrick Roy would've never ended up with the organization and it would be a drastically different look to the NHL's history from 95-present.

That's a really good observation and something that I've never even thought of. There's NO WAY the Habs trade their disgruntled goalie to the hated rivals. Wasn't Stephane Fiset the starter for the Nords back then? I remember the Rangers facing him, Snow and I think Thibault too in the playoffs in '95. They had a pretty good offense in Sakic, Forsberg, Nolan, Ricci, etc., but the goaltending was defenitely lacking. The problem was the arena in Quebec wasn't it? Doesn't the Colisee only hold like 15K? That's not really NHL caliber. It would be cool to see the Nords come back though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Flyers rivalry with the Penguins is a fraction of their rivalry with the rest of the division?

It's true. Even back before the '93 realignment when they were still in the same division there wasn't much of a rivalry. The Flyers had a bigger rivalry with the Capitals and Rangers then they did with the Pens...and that was even after facing them in the playoffs many times. I guess sometimes it just doesn't click.

Its funny, but had they stayed in Quebec, Patrick Roy would've never ended up with the organization and it would be a drastically different look to the NHL's history from 95-present.

That's a really good observation and something that I've never even thought of. There's NO WAY the Habs trade their disgruntled goalie to the hated rivals. Wasn't Stephane Fiset the starter for the Nords back then? I remember the Rangers facing him, Snow and I think Thibault too in the playoffs in '95. They had a pretty good offense in Sakic, Forsberg, Nolan, Ricci, etc., but the goaltending was defenitely lacking. The problem was the arena in Quebec wasn't it? Doesn't the Colisee only hold like 15K? That's not really NHL caliber. It would be cool to see the Nords come back though.

Patrick Roy as a Canuck? I remember hearing on ESPN after the whole story broke that Vancouver was interested. Stephane Fiset was decent, but not a starter. That was right around the time that Thibault had broke into the league and was highly regarded as a prospect. They had such a dominant regular season and got to the playoffs and were done in the first round.

I don't recall what the whole situation was. I am wanting to say it was something about their owner, Marcel Aubut well, but not sure.

Now ESPN is saying that Lemieux has pulled the team off the market and is looking at possible relocation if they don't get a new arena.

Quote from the article from Lemieux "Accordingly, starting today, the team is off the market," Lemieux said, "and we will begin to explore relocation offers in cities outside Pennsylvania."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2704968

Having been through losing a franchise myself, two if you count the WHA, it's not something I would wish on anybody.

I really prefer the Penguins stay right where they are, but someway, somehow they need to get a modern arena. If the city of Pittsburgh or the state of Pennsylvania can't see the value in a major league sports franchise being in Pittsburgh (after all, there are just 30 of them on all of planet Earth) the team will eventually move.

My first choice would be Winnipeg to right the wrong they suffered. Is the new arena in Winnipeg NHL caliber? Perhaps in the new NHL, the finanical burden once suffered by smaller market and especially Canadian cities has been eliminated and Winnipeg could once again join the NHL.

Personally, I have little to no desire to see a city in the USA south of Milwaukee get an NHL team. Houston or Kansas City? No thanks. How about Seattle or Milwaukee? Milwaukee would be a great rival with Chicago, Detroit and Minnesota.

Having been through losing a franchise myself, two if you count the WHA, it's not something I would wish on anybody.

I really prefer the Penguins stay right where they are, but someway, somehow they need to get a modern arena. If the city of Pittsburgh or the state of Pennsylvania can't see the value in a major league sports franchise being in Pittsburgh (after all, there are just 30 of them on all of planet Earth) the team will eventually move.

My first choice would be Winnipeg to right the wrong they suffered. Is the new arena in Winnipeg NHL caliber? Perhaps in the new NHL, the finanical burden once suffered by smaller market and especially Canadian cities has been eliminated and Winnipeg could once again join the NHL.

Personally, I have little to no desire to see a city in the USA south of Milwaukee get an NHL team. Houston or Kansas City? No thanks. How about Seattle or Milwaukee? Milwaukee would be a great rival with Chicago, Detroit and Minnesota.

I doubt the NHL wants their brightest star to play in Winnipeg. I don't think Seattle or Milwaukee want an NHL team. Portland did ten years ago and then five, before Gretzky helped bail the Coyotes out. Oklahoma City and Houston lost in the last expansion battle. It would be best if there was a way the Pens could stay in Pittsburgh, period.

I doubt the NHL wants their brightest star to play in Winnipeg. I don't think Seattle or Milwaukee want an NHL team. Portland did ten years ago and then five, before Gretzky helped bail the Coyotes out. Oklahoma City and Houston lost in the last expansion battle. It would be best if there was a way the Pens could stay in Pittsburgh, period.

I know Paul Allen who owns the Portland Trailblazers and the Seattle Seahawks has expressed interest in an NHL team in the past and would like them in his region. Though he has backed off of this last I have heard. As for the cities wanting a team, Portland wants any Major League Sport to come to the city so that the Blazers aren't the only game in town. More teams means more money for the city. While I would love to see Seattle get a team, the arena would be an issue. The city has no interest right now in paying for an arena for the Seattle Supersonics and would probably not budge even if an NHL team showed interest.