Stripping a Reebok Edge Jersey

MountainKing

Who reliably strips AND customizes that I could send it out to? I've had jerseys customized from a few sites including IJ but I don't know who strips and customizes (I didn't even know whether or not anybody did stripping).

EPS is fantastic at this.

Yes it is.

I used the contact info available on their site to inquire about it, but the mail was returned undeliverable - it said that no mail was being delivered to that address because it had been inactive for too long. In the meanwhile, I inquired at major league lettering after seeing the feedback in the other thread and they've said they could strip AND letter the jersey for $70, which sounds unbeatable. Normally I'd be skeptical if I had just seen someone else's satisfied results in the other thread.

I used the contact info available on their site to inquire about it, but the mail was returned undeliverable - it said that no mail was being delivered to that address because it had been inactive for too long. In the meanwhile, I inquired at major league lettering after seeing the feedback in the other thread and they've said they could strip AND letter the jersey for $70, which sounds unbeatable. Normally I'd be skeptical if I had just seen someone else's satisfied results in the other thread.

They stripped the numbering off a jersey I sent in. Came back flawless, and you couldn't even tell there were numbers before. I should say that mine was ultrafil and not an EDGE, but I'd still send it with confidence.

Not a reebok but I have same related question...

I have a CCM Vintage 550 "GOULET" jersey and they screwed it up by putting 10" numbers on it

and not 12" numbers.....

is this possible to fix? Replacing the old ones and re-doing with 12" numbers???

Here it is compared to another...

the #32 HUNTER has the 12" numbers

the #16 GOULET has the 10" numbers

both jerseys are size large

or would you just leave the Goulet one as it is?

DSCN3602.jpg

to compare with a Goulet game worn...

Capture.jpg

after seeing it side by side, almost looks like the Hunter is maybe too big?

Not a reebok but I have same related question...

I have a CCM Vintage 550 "GOULET" jersey and they screwed it up by putting 10" numbers on it

and not 12" numbers.....

is this possible to fix? Replacing the old ones and re-doing with 12" numbers???

Here it is compared to another...

the #32 HUNTER has the 12" numbers

the #16 GOULET has the 10" numbers

both jerseys are size large

or would you just leave the Goulet one as it is?

DSCN3602.jpg

to compare with a Goulet game worn...

Capture.jpg

after seeing it side by side, almost looks like the Hunter is maybe too big?

I think its just the picture sizing, the thickness of the game-Goulet looks more reminiscent of the Hunter. Just a smaller image.

I think its just the picture sizing, the thickness of the game-Goulet looks more reminiscent of the Hunter. Just a smaller image.

so can these 10" be removed and replaced with 12" and not ruining the jersey?

Did MLL do the Goulet too?

No, I had done at a local place here 3 weeks ago.... before I knew about MLL

Gonna talk to Don tomorrow see maybe if they can fix it up.

Doesn't look too bad I guess, but looking at Goulet game worn's they are thicker numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a seam ripper and methylene chloride solvent to remove the adhesive. It evaporates fast and it is what the pros use. It's kind of like rubber cement thinner but stronger and more expensive.

Is there any risk of damage to the jersey using the methylene chloride? Any tips? Where can you buy it? I'm trying to remove a section of adhesive from a jersey, and goo-gone hasn't put a dent in it.

• 1 month later...

Here is the way I strip jerseys and have never had a problem.

1. Use a seam ripper to remove all the threads off the letters/numbers. If only the bottom layer is stiched to the jersey then just remove the stitching from that layer etc. Rip the stitches from the top of the twill side not the jersey side and be careful not to damage the jersey material with the seam ripper.

2. Once that's done get yourself some goof-off adhesive remove. Turn the jersey inside out and apply the goof-off to the stuff you want to remove. Let it sit for a few minutes. Goof-off stinks to high hell so if you use it do so in a well ventilated area and leave the jersey outside if possible once done to air out.

3. Start to peel off the letters/numbers slowly. If they are still sticking to the jersey then use more goof-off, you don't want to rip the numbers/letters off if they're still stuck because you can damage the jersey and the new numbers you put on may not cover up the damage. Once you have everything off if there is still some glue residue hit it with more goof-off and use a soft brush to remove it. Don't scrub too hard because again you can damage the jersey material.

4. If everything is off and there are no noticable marks/stains/outlines etc. wash the jersey once the smell from the goof-off goes away. If the old stuff left dye outlines or stuff the goof-off couldn't remove then take the jersey to the dry cleaners and let them remove the rest. You'll be surprised what they can get out.

One word of caution do not touch the jersey with an iron until all stains/outlines/glue residue is removed. If you touch the jersey with an iron while that stuff is still on it you will only set them in and make it a lot harder to remove.

So a pretty basic question: when using a seam ripper to remove the stitching on the letters and numbers, do you remove the threads on the front/back of the jersey, or do you turn it inside-out and remove the threads that way?

Well, you CAN go from the fabric side but if you do that, pull the stitches out one at a time by pulling the thread through each time. Never EVER cut the thread with the blade part on the fabric side because you'll tear right through it; regardless of what type of material it is.

dont wanna sound stupid but by "on top" does that mean the outter part of the jersey? Compared to the inside where you can see all of the stitching and whatnot? Cause i used a seam ripper on the inside and it wasnt too bad, gotta be very careful though.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input and feedback. Stripping a jersey is new grounds for me. I just want to be armed with the proper knowledge before I undertake such a project. I don't want to find out the hard way and ruin a jersey because I did not listen or research this topic. Everything else TMLFAN outlined is pretty straight forward. If there is glue that IMO is likely the only other difficult part because of its stickiness and the removal process.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input and feedback. Stripping a jersey is new grounds for me. I just want to be armed with the proper knowledge before I undertake such a project. I don't want to find out the hard way and ruin a jersey because I did not listen or research this topic. Everything else TMLFAN outlined is pretty straight forward. If there is glue that IMO is likely the only other difficult part because of its stickiness and the removal process.

I just want to add that be very careful when you use goof-off. It can cause the twill to bleed onto the jersey and it can also stain the fabric so never put it directly on the jersey. Always put some on a white rag or q-tip and rub it on the jersey.