Correct Jersey Sizing

cray-

I've poured over the sizing charts on this site and others. I've got the tape measure onto my t-shirts, polos and soccer jerseys and all to no avail. Due to the high postage costs for us internationals and the complete absense of hockey jerseys in this country, I dont want to make a mistake. HELP ME PLEASE!

How big to people tend to wear their jerseys? My main concern is the climate. When I see fans in the stands they seem to be wearing quite large sizes. I assume this is so they can fit over the top of thick hoodies and sweaters cause it's so cold. Obviously in Australia we don't have this problem. But i do like the baggy style and I certainly dont want it to look like a fitted t-shirt.

I'm 6'2" about 220 lbs and the measurement across the chest on my soccer jerseys which are worn only as a t-shirt is about 23-24". This would put me in a CCM Replica size L 48-50". I'm worried this might be a bit small to be worn over the top of a hoodie in the winter here. What do you guys think?

Do you generally buy a size bigger than normal or do hockey jerseys already account for this with generous sizing? Would you get a smaller size for summertime and wear it like a T or just leave it extra baggy? ARGH so confusing...sorry for the long rant but it's a fair chunk'o'change and I don't think returning it for an exchange is really an option. Not with 45$USD for postage from IceJerseys to me.

Thanks all in advance.

I'm about the same size as you actually, at 6'2" 230 and I would go with an XL or a XXL depending on how baggy you want it of course. The XL fits me pretty good and it fits pretty well for me over a hoody and I still have a lot of room, but I always go with a XXL because I just prefer my sizes bigger. I would try to avoid the L but that's me, those would always seem a little tighter on me.

At 6'2", I'd suggest a XXL if you want it big on you. I have a few friends who wear various sizes of jerseys, and they look different on each.

I'm 5'8" and wear large. Those are pretty big on me, but I can wear a hoodie underneath without any trouble, and if I ever play any pick-up hockey, I can throw that on over a set of shoulder pads and arm guards (not that I do regularly, but I can if I had to ;)).

Another friend is 5'10" and he wears XL for the same reason. Our respective jerseys look proportionate when we stand next to each other.

Finally, another buddy is about 6'1" - 6'2" and he wears XXL. For illustration:

06finals_00.jpg

I'm on the left in the Edmonton. I'm 5'8" and Jason is on the right in the Carolina. He's about 6'2". He wears XXL, I wear L.

(this is also my little photographic summary of the 2006 Cup Finals, which I'll post in another thread)

Do not go with a size large. Hockey jerseys are a loose fit. If it were more form fitting, like a soccer jersey, the look would be wrong.

If you were just going to wear it over a t-shirt, an XL would be right. I'd say if you are going to wear it over a hoodie you should try a XXL, as the hoodie would make you go up one size.

For replicas, you'd be best with XL to be honest.

For authentic, debatable, I buy 52 which is similar to XL but a little tighter, longer sleeves, shorter length. 56 I think is goalie isn't it?

Do not go with a size large. Hockey jerseys are a loose fit. If it were more form fitting, like a soccer jersey, the look would be wrong.

I think my confusion comes from the fact that I know they SHOULD be a big fit...but I wasnt sure if they build that into the sizing or not. Even though the size chart lists measurements its still a bit hard to imagine.

Anyway thanks for everyones advice. I think I'm gonna go with an XL to be conservative. It will probably get more warm weather wear since summer is just starting to kick in here anyway. Just gonna get one blank replica and see how it goes. That way I'll know eactly what to get when I'm ready to order a few customised jerseys.

The picture helped alot Crimson and some good numbers to help me along.

Cheers

I think my confusion comes from the fact that I know they SHOULD be a big fit...but I wasnt sure if they build that into the sizing or not. Even though the size chart lists measurements its still a bit hard to imagine.

Anyway thanks for everyones advice. I think I'm gonna go with an XL to be conservative. It will probably get more warm weather wear since summer is just starting to kick in here anyway. Just gonna get one blank replica and see how it goes. That way I'll know eactly what to get when I'm ready to order a few customised jerseys.

The picture helped alot Crimson and some good numbers to help me along.

Cheers

Hi Cray,

I think you would be fine with the XL if you will mostly wear it with something lightweight underneath. Jerseys are generally sized to fit loose to answer your question, so the 'oversized' look is pretty much built into the jersey (since they are intended to be worn with equipment). The XL will fit you right, and still look like a loose fit. XXL will probably be a little big fitting, but wouldn't look out of place on you either (but if you plan to wear bulky stuff under it would be a better choice... but it seems like you don't plan to). So, based on that, I would say go with XL for comfortable looseness. If you want lots of room (and a bit more length), go for XXL. either one will be okay though... it's really a matter of taste.

Thanks CryWolf and again thanks to everyone for the feedback. Just hit submit on my order. Hopefully I'll get everything before Christmas. I bloody well hope so since the only International shipping option is the very expensive Fed-Ex Express. Probably what I would have chosen anyway since the order is so late. But would be nice to have a cheaper option when speed isn't an issue. I guess I should make a post in the suggestions section about that.

Thanks CryWolf and again thanks to everyone for the feedback. Just hit submit on my order. Hopefully I'll get everything before Christmas. I bloody well hope so since the only International shipping option is the very expensive Fed-Ex Express. Probably what I would have chosen anyway since the order is so late. But would be nice to have a cheaper option when speed isn't an issue. I guess I should make a post in the suggestions section about that.

What jersey are you getting if you don't mind me asking?

What jersey are you getting if you don't mind me asking?

Devils in Red XL and Devils Black Practice Jersey, Really hoping I can still fit into the L as I like the plain black with devils logo and its the only size left in that one. Assume its an older style since they have the Platinum Performance Practice jerseys now.

Both of those are blank as I want them for xmas and wanna make sure of sizing before I order a few others. Also need to save up some money :)

Firstly I want a Flames Phaneuf in red, though I really dont like the black logo on the front. Might hang back and see if it changes next season. Then an Oilers Alternative coz I just really like the colors and design. And also a Devils jersey in white customised with K. SMITH 37. Points to anyone who gets the refernce.

Devils in Red XL and Devils Black Practice Jersey, Really hoping I can still fit into the L as I like the plain black with devils logo and its the only size left in that one. Assume its an older style since they have the Platinum Performance Practice jerseys now.

Both of those are blank as I want them for xmas and wanna make sure of sizing before I order a few others. Also need to save up some money :)

Firstly I want a Flames Phaneuf in red, though I really dont like the black logo on the front. Might hang back and see if it changes next season. Then an Oilers Alternative coz I just really like the colors and design. And also a Devils jersey in white customised with K. SMITH 37. Points to anyone who gets the refernce.

Kevin Smith. He has references to the number 37 in all of his movies.

Kevin Smith. He has references to the number 37 in all of his movies.

Thats the one. Wasn't particularly hard. But its obscure enough that if you wore it around the street [in Australia at least] the majority of ppl would think nothing of it. But other fans would prolly give you a smile or have a laugh.

In Clerks one of the guys is wearing a white devils jersey when they play hockey on the roof. The number 37 itself, well you'll have to go watch the film to have that explained to you. I dont wanna ruin it for the un-initiated, but it's funny stuff. That movie and the fact that Smith is from NJ and sets most of his movies there is one of the reasons why I decided to pick them as my team when I started watching hockey games recently[big Ups to the CIF crew].

The other is that I really like listening to Doc and Chico commentating their games. They just have a real conversational style with Chico going off topic and telling all these personal stories about the players and their families as they obviously have a lot to do with the team. And it makes the fans feel like they know the guys more.

Also enjoy the CBC broadcasts, Hockey Night In Canada. Especially Don Cherry's comments during the break. Mostly get to see the CBC broadcasts during the playoffs though. Not much in the regular season. But that's just because of where I get my games from. Anywho....just a lil more back story on me and why I enjoy hockey...getting really off topic now but...meh.

I just watched Evening Harder a few nights ago. Kevin Smith is ridiculous.

w00t! Just got a box dropped on my desk from the Fed-Ex man [ssshhhh I'm at work] so I can't open it till I get home. And TECHNICALLY the red jersey is my Christmas present so I should really just let my girlfriend take care of it...but but but....

It is nice to see fans from non-traditional hockey markets are out there enjoying the game too.

It's not easy. There is zero coverage on Free-to-Air TV and maybe 1-2 edited games/wk shown on "cable". Our Pay-TV system is very weak, with the rights to most major events/sport and all the popular imported tv shows owned by the commercial free-to-air networks. This means 5 and a half channels of mostly rubbish which we don't have to pay for, but do have to put up with numerous ad breaks.

Pay-TV is expensive and full of b-grade trash. Good if you want 3 channels dedicated to Aussie Rules football or Rugby and tonnes of old movies that have been available for rental for months. You are also forced into paying for packages of 20+ channels full of all the crap you don't want in order to get the 3-4 channels that are worth watching. ie. Discovery, National Geographic and the ones that show a variety of international sport that we don't compete in. So pretty pathetic...which leaves us hockey fans only one place to turn to. Won't go into details here but I think you can figure it out.

ooooooo can't wait to get home and open my box of goodies....

If you don't mind watching games a few days later, there is the new NHL/Google Video partnership which shows full current and classic games:

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?sho...4&hl=google

If you don't mind watching games a few days later, there is the new NHL/Google Video partnership which shows full current and classic games:

http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?sho...4&hl=google

Interesting...but no go: We're sorry but the provider of this video has not authorized Google to display this video in your location.

Might be able to route it through a proxy or something, but even so the latest game on the page is Nov 28th. And although this game Devils@Kings Nov 27th 2006 is listed on the main page. If you click on either the Devils or Kings logo's they only seem to show games from October.

Good idea, but looks like I'll be sticking to my current distribution method. Thanks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Just unwrapped my presents and tried em on. First let me say that I'm EXTREMELY happy with the icejerseys service, the postage was pricey but it did get to the other side of the world in 5 days, well before Christmas and the fans and staff on here have been most helpful.

And now to the bad news: I think we over-estimated on the sizing. I'm absolutely swimming about in the XL :( I ended up with a Devils XL replica in red and the older style all black Devils practice jersey in L. I tried 'em both on with a t-shirt, then a big thick warm jumper/sweater and the L fits over it just nicely. I think the XL though is a size too big. We've been through this already, I know they are sposed to be roomy and worn big, but maybe I overestimated my weight or something.

I'll try and take some photos and see what you guys think. Then I have to decide on my options. If icejerseys would allow a swap for size, the cost of postage might not make it worthwhile. I could probably get it cut-up and sewn back together as an L for less. Especially since the replica's are just overlocked on the seams and very simple shape.

The other thing I'm considering is whether or not to exchange/upgrade to the authentic if they would allow it. Just waiting for a reply to a question in another thread regarding the cresting.

Oh well, I'm semi-happy anyway. The jerseys still look awesome! It's forecast for a 34degC Christmas Day, so not really hockey jersey weather but I'm still wearing my practice jersey around the house, sweating it out cause I dont wanna take it off.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season and santa brings you something nice.

Michael

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Oh well, I'm semi-happy anyway. The jerseys still look awesome! It's forecast for a 34degC Christmas Day, so not really hockey jersey weather but I'm still wearing my practice jersey around the house, sweating it out cause I dont wanna take it off.

is that 34°Celsius? that's pretty hot, dude. I just wish I wouldn't be freezing here with around 2°C. Luckily there's no snow and no sign of snow coming up.

is that 34°Celsius? that's pretty hot, dude. I just wish I wouldn't be freezing here with around 2°C. Luckily there's no snow and no sign of snow coming up.

Don't forget, if I am not mistaken, the seasons in Australia are backwards from what they are here in North America so this would be their summer season.

And since the items weren't customized, I am sure they would be willing to help with the exchange, though as you have stated that would be depending on the cost of shipping it back to Canada.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Just unwrapped my presents and tried em on. First let me say that I'm EXTREMELY happy with the icejerseys service, the postage was pricey but it did get to the other side of the world in 5 days, well before Christmas and the fans and staff on here have been most helpful.

And now to the bad news: I think we over-estimated on the sizing. I'm absolutely swimming about in the XL :( I ended up with a Devils XL replica in red and the older style all black Devils practice jersey in L. I tried 'em both on with a t-shirt, then a big thick warm jumper/sweater and the L fits over it just nicely. I think the XL though is a size too big. We've been through this already, I know they are sposed to be roomy and worn big, but maybe I overestimated my weight or something.

I'll try and take some photos and see what you guys think. Then I have to decide on my options. If icejerseys would allow a swap for size, the cost of postage might not make it worthwhile. I could probably get it cut-up and sewn back together as an L for less. Especially since the replica's are just overlocked on the seams and very simple shape.

The other thing I'm considering is whether or not to exchange/upgrade to the authentic if they would allow it. Just waiting for a reply to a question in another thread regarding the cresting.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season and santa brings you something nice.

Michael

Merry Christmas to you, too! To add to the reference points, I'm 6'0", 205 and I always buy a size large replica or 48 authentic. I don't play, so having a jersey that gear fits under isn't an issue for me, however I comfortably can fit a mock turtleneck under the jersey, which I will do in the winter. If it's a rare jersey (like something that's no longer made) and M or XL is my only choice, I'll get one. A lot depends on the manufacturer, but a lot is trial and error, too. I don't like my jerseys being TOO big, it's a personal preference.

Correct. And yes it is summer down here. Amazingly there was snowfall in Victoria and NSW on Christmas day. And in some parts of NZ. That kind of stuff is just insane. Weather on this planet is seriously messed up. Can't be a good thing....anywho..back on topic.

Definitely going to be sticking with the L sizing from now on. Will try and get this XL trimmed and re-sewn locally as postage was USD$35 from icejerseys to me the first time + whatever it costs me to mail it back to them. Even if I used Priority Airmail it's going to add up. Oh well, live and learn.