Where to Get Caps Retro

capsfan32

Looking to get a Caps retro "vintage" 550 (80's/early 90's) since that's what seems to be available going the non-Ebay route, most likely in the white (although the red would be cool too) and get it as either Hunter, Bondra, Langway, or Kolzig (he was drafted in 89 and appeared sporadically in them, so he's eligible in my book even though he wasn't "the" goalie until later - in the blue/black/"bronze" days - i.e. I wouldn't get someone in retro like Ovechkin or Green, etc. who never actually wore the retros).

I have an Ovechkin red from NHL.com (the customization was free, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it from them) already, so that's why I'm leaning towards white for the retro, but then red is the home color now, so I'm conflicted, as I'd want to wear it to games given the cost of getting one. Getting both colors at the same time is not an option right now b/c of cost. BTW, although I wouldn't get one from them again, the NHL one didn't turn out as bad as some pics on here have shown, and looked decent - better than the ones they had in the arena store (which also cost a lot more than what I paid).

Wondering who does a decent job customizing retros that I could order/customize it from the same place - I'm not sure if mentioning specific places is allowed on here since this is owned by a company who sells customized jerseys (but doesn't seem to stock the Caps retro in red or white, so I guess it's safe to ask), but has anyone had experiences with "vintage" (good or bad) with River City or SportsK? Any other recommends?

Edited by Jon

I think the white looks cooler. the design just stands out a lot more IMO. I think the NHL.com store is ok with the normal jerseys...but still not great. once you get into the thirds and vintage they get kind of sloppy. I don't know about RCS though.

I had a Winnipeg Jets off RCS, the custom work looks OK to me. Also had one off CoolHockey.com which I'm happy with, they were very quick too. I think they use twill nameplates though, which may or may not bother you. Someone else can confirm that, sure I read it on here.

Thanks for the advice - will go with the white - CoolHockey is only selling the red retro at the moment so I'll prob go w/RCS - my first jersey that I didn't get in a store (replica blue Caps blank) came in a Molson box from them, which I thought was really cool being around 14 or 15 at the time.

Would anyone know where to customize a vintage Capitals jersey properly. I have an authentic white and red jersey circa 89-95. I most interested in getting the correct fonts for the letters and numbers and an airknit nameplate.

I didn't know they would otherwise I would have suggested them.

They will, just let them know what you want and if you have pictures, those always help.

They will, just let them know what you want and if you have pictures, those always help.

I'm sure they wouldn't mind using nhluniforms.com as a guide either. That site has great detail - the only thing that site seems unable to help with is where exactly to place the C/A patch (if you're going to need it), but this might help - http://www.grandstandsports.com/pages/18184.htm - see placement of A on right front above/between the red and blue stars.