Restoring brightness to old jerseys

Dr. D

So I picked up an old CCM white Rangers jersey. Aside from a couple stains, it's a beautiful jersey. However, like most white jerseys that are over ten years old, it has started to "yellow" a little bit and lose its vibrancy. Any suggestions on how to help restore its brightness, if at all possible?

So I picked up an old CCM white Rangers jersey. Aside from a couple stains, it's a beautiful jersey. However, like most white jerseys that are over ten years old, it has started to "yellow" a little bit and lose its vibrancy. Any suggestions on how to help restore its brightness, if at all possible?

I'll wash a dingy white jersey with detergent and oxyclean. You might also try some color-safe bleach.

Do not put it in the dryer afterwards though. It will come out of the wash relatively dry compared to a cotton shirt. Then just air dry it so you don't have to worry about crests possibly shrinking at a different rate than the jersey and getting puckered or wrinkled.

I happened to slop on the front my Iginla Flames 2004 Cup Jersey acouple years ago, and didnt notice it until i took it off my wall last week. Do you have any suggustions on how to get stains out of a white jersey? The stains are now yellowish, im gussing they were from a cola or maybe ketchup stains. Ive tried straight spot cleaning with bleech but it did not work, and i am looking for any other ideas.

I happened to slop on the front my Iginla Flames 2004 Cup Jersey acouple years ago, and didnt notice it until i took it off my wall last week. Do you have any suggustions on how to get stains out of a white jersey? The stains are now yellowish, im gussing they were from a cola or maybe ketchup stains. Ive tried straight spot cleaning with bleech but it did not work, and i am looking for any other ideas.

I'll take some bleach, put it on a toothbrush, and scrub. I was able to get some stains out of a white jersey this way, although they weren't that bad.

I'll wash a dingy white jersey with detergent and oxyclean. You might also try some color-safe bleach.

Do not put it in the dryer afterwards though. It will come out of the wash relatively dry compared to a cotton shirt. Then just air dry it so you don't have to worry about crests possibly shrinking at a different rate than the jersey and getting puckered or wrinkled.

Sorry, but I have found that oxyclean can cause color bleeding in the crests of some jerseys, especially CCM 550's. It caused bleeding in a Carolina white jersey that I have. Washed in cold water with a Pro Player jersey that didn't bleed. I have had other people tell me that they noticed bleeding after using oxyclean. I would absolutely avoid using that product. Sorry, Billy Mayes.

So is color-safe bleach the way to go? Anyone else ever use that on a faded white jersey?

This may sound crazy but I have had a great deal of success with Dreft baby laundry stain remover. Tough stains usually come out on the colored portions and works great on the white areas of the jersey. I have never had a problem with colors running or bleaching. Give it a shot if you get a chance.

Run your bathtub with warm water (not hot) and add some laundry soap and mix it up well. Place the jersey in there and let it soak for a while. Use a toothbrush and agitate the stain with the brush. Then wash in the washing machine using cold water and hang to air dry. I have had success doing this with white jerseys with stains using powdered Tide detergent.

Edited by CanucksJerseyGuy

• 3 months later...

do any of these tricks work on the crest? I have a few jerseys with stains on the crest and I'm guessing dry cleaning or any of that won't work

I'LL WASH A DINGY WHITE JERSEY WITH DETERGENT AND OXYCLEAN!! YOU MIGHT ALSO TRY SOME COLOR-SAFE BLEACH.

Fixed. :-P

So, if the oxyclean causes the crests to bleed, are you going to replace it for him? If you've ever had a jersey ruined by that crap, like I have, then you might think twice about that post of yours.

Run your bathtub with warm water (not hot) and add some laundry soap and mix it up well. Place the jersey in there and let it soak for a while. Use a toothbrush and agitate the stain with the brush. Then wash in the washing machine using cold water and hang to air dry. I have had success doing this with white jerseys with stains using powdered Tide detergent.

Great suggestion I happen to have a decades old Canucks home jersey I really need to get clean. The thing is off white now because it has never been washed.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So I just got a white pigeon Lemieux jersey in the mail today and, as advertised, it has a stain by the collar. It's nothing major, but if I could get it to come out, that would be great. It's WAY too close to the collar to consider using a bleach pen; I'm terrified of the outcome.

It appears like it might be a nacho cheese stain that is many years old. Would it be worth to take it to a cleaner?

So I just got a white pigeon Lemieux jersey in the mail today and, as advertised, it has a stain by the collar. It's nothing major, but if I could get it to come out, that would be great. It's WAY too close to the collar to consider using a bleach pen; I'm terrified of the outcome.

It appears like it might be a nacho cheese stain that is many years old. Would it be worth to take it to a cleaner?

why not just hit it with a pre-treater like shout and then run it through the washing machine?

It looks like a really old stain. Think it would do anything?

only one way to find out. It's probably a good idea to wash it anyway, who knows what the previous owner did with it or how they kept it. The first thing I do whenever I get a new jersey is wash it.

Ok, I'll give it a go.

Gentle obviously and no dryer, but Cold/Cold, Warm/Cold, what?

Thanks for the tips :)

cold/cold