Florida Panthers and Columbus Blue Jackets

ZoomZoom18

Normally I'd be hating on the Panthers, but I'm hoping to see them make the playoffs this year. It seems like its been a dogfight and looking at the standings tonight, they have lost four straight and are three points out of a playoff spot. However, I think it'd be cool to see them make the playoffs for the first time in what seems like ages (I personally can't remember the last time that they made it). I was impressed with some of the names on their blueline; Ballard, Bouwmeester, Boynton, McCabe, Allen, Skrastins, Eminger, and Cullimore. I know Ballard and Boynton from their Coyote days and personally hated to see the Yotes get rid of both of them and then obviously Bouwmeester and McCabe. I can't say that I'd have a problem going into the playoffs with that group.

As for the Blue Jackets, I've really been hoping to see them get over that hump for their first playoff berth ever. As of right now, it looks like they'd be in the 6# spot. Personally, after having played some high school and club hockey games in Ohio, I've always thought it was a solid hockey state. Not to mention the Cincinnati Cyclones fans in the IHL in the late 90s were always pretty devout (at least the ones who came into Indianapolis were). I've been rooting on the Blue Jackets for awhile to get over that hump. Its possible that the entire Central Division in the Western Conference could be in the playoffs if the Blues happen to squeak in (right now the Predators are in 7th). That would be very interesting to see.

Agree on both counts. The Panthers have some really exciting young players (Booth, loves him!) and a 2 headed goaltending beast. They have fallen back a bit in recent days but I am hoping that a playoff run is in the cards and also helps resuscitate that franchise which badly needs it.

Also, on the Blue Jackets, I would definitely like to seem them get in and from everything I have read, they really do have a good fan base there in Ohio but a lack of playoffs is hurting as well. I think we could do with offseason of the same old Stars and other WC teams and get them in there to help out.

Agree on both counts. The Panthers have some really exciting young players (Booth, loves him!) and a 2 headed goaltending beast. They have fallen back a bit in recent days but I am hoping that a playoff run is in the cards and also helps resuscitate that franchise which badly needs it.

Also, on the Blue Jackets, I would definitely like to seem them get in and from everything I have read, they really do have a good fan base there in Ohio but a lack of playoffs is hurting as well. I think we could do with offseason of the same old Stars and other WC teams and get them in there to help out.

I'm worried about the Stars chances at the moment, they lost another game last night to the Flames after losing the night before to the Canucks. They do have an exciting core of younger players coming up, especially Neal.

As for the Blue Jackets, I've always thought they had a very underrated fanbase. Its been long overdue for them to get into the postseason. I don't know if they'll get out of the first round, but I still think they're a team to watch in the coming seasons.

The Jackets do seem to have a strong fan base. When I lived in Columbus for a while, it seemed like the kind of town that needed a pro team of some sort. Of course nothing will rival OSU football in Columbus, but it always seemed like a city looking for something else to root for (and spend money on) in addition to the Buckeyes. It doesn't hurt that the Arena district is really thriving. I think the Jackets getting into the playoffs will help solidify the already strong fan base.

One thing I wonder is what would happen if Columbus were in the Eastern Conference? Say the Islanders\Panthers\Thrashers etc. move to Vegas, I could see potentially Columbus or Nashville moving into the East. Pittsburgh is closer to Columbus than Detroit, and Philly is only slightly farther than Chicago from Columbus. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part, the idea of the Rangers being in the same Conference, even the same Division as the Jackets - now that would be awesome (for me atleast) :D

One thing I wonder is what would happen if Columbus were in the Eastern Conference? Say the Islanders\Panthers\Thrashers etc. move to Vegas, I could see potentially Columbus or Nashville moving into the East. Pittsburgh is closer to Columbus than Detroit, and Philly is only slightly farther than Chicago from Columbus. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part, the idea of the Rangers being in the same Conference, even the same Division as the Jackets - now that would be awesome (for me atleast) :D

I think a division realignment is good and we should also go back to the old names of the divisions, man I miss the Campbell conference and the Patrick division and the like.

• 3 weeks later...

With their win tonight, the Blue Jackets have officially clinched a playoff berth for the first time in team history! I can't see them being a playoff threat...YET, but still a milestone for them nonetheless.

Meanwhile, the Panthers are still fighting for that last playoff spot in the East with the Canadiens and the Rangers still involved. Speaking of the Panthers, how about Sidney Crosby going after Keith Ballard a couple of days ago after Ballard laid out Malkin? I was impressed to see Sidney with that kind of edge.

UPDATE: The Panthers are done for. I still think it was worth keeping Bouwmeester to try to get into the postseason, since they were knocking on the door for the longest time, however, hindset is 20/20 and they could've probably done well to have traded him.

Yeah, it was a good move to keep him around due to having a shot at the playoffs. Now more than likely he is gonna be gone as some team is gonna offer him pretty good money to go and play defense for them (Buffalo please?), and the Panthers get nothing in return.

Risk taken, team will probably have lost the gamble though.

Yeah, it was a good move to keep him around due to having a shot at the playoffs. Now more than likely he is gonna be gone as some team is gonna offer him pretty good money to go and play defense for them (Buffalo please?), and the Panthers get nothing in return.

Risk taken, team will probably have lost the gamble though.

They could use the money they would've spent to resign him and get some offensive help. That trade last summer of Jokinen for Ballard and Boynton is looking more and more better for them. I think Jokinen had outplayed his welcome and needed a change (the funny thing is, I think his trade to Calgary could help Phoenix more in the long run) and I loved what Ballard brought to the table the last few seasons out in Phoenix.