Double Tagged

PensJerseys

Here's my understanding - Gretzky always tucked the right side of his jersey in, the side with the CCM or Starter hem logo (he actually used velcro at times to keep it in). The story goes that he was so good as a kid that he was always playing in leagues with kids much older than him and the jerseys he wore were huge on him, so he had to tuck in the right side to keep his jersey from catching on his top stick hand. With Gretzky being the biggest star in hockey, the jersey manufacturers wanted to make sure that you could still see their logos on the most-watched hockey player. So they put a second hemline logo on the left side so it'd be visible starting when he moved to the LA Kings. To my knowledge Gretzky was the only player to wear the double tagged jerseys (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong).

From what I know, the first two season with the Kings Gretzky didn't have the hem double tagged. In the 2nd season with the Kings he got the "A" and for his 3rd season he was named captain and got the double tagged hem

Here's my understanding - Gretzky always tucked the right side of his jersey in, the side with the CCM or Starter hem logo (he actually used velcro at times to keep it in). The story goes that he was so good as a kid that he was always playing in leagues with kids much older than him and the jerseys he wore were huge on him, so he had to tuck in the right side to keep his jersey from catching on his top stick hand. With Gretzky being the biggest star in hockey, the jersey manufacturers wanted to make sure that you could still see their logos on the most-watched hockey player. So they put a second hemline logo on the left side so it'd be visible starting when he moved to the LA Kings. To my knowledge Gretzky was the only player to wear the double tagged jerseys (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong).

That is definitely a cool piece of knowledge! We should create something (whether through a IJ thread or elsewhere) stories about jerseys like this.

I had absolutely no idea about this, this is very interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeppers, same thing with the Blues Jerseys he wore, MUST have the double tag or it's a FAKE! I'll back that story up- the Jersey makers (sponsors) wanted their logo to be seen and the only way to do it was to add the left side logos. The right side was always tucked in. So add the Blues slash cut jerseys to the list of Gretzky double logos.