Sundin Lottery - down to Canucks and Rangers

akteon

Quite a few sites (TSN, all of the NY papers & more) are reporting that Sundin has narrowed his choices down to the Vancouver Canucks and the New York Rangers. It is also said he expects to make a decision by Friday.

TSN.ca article

I admit when the Rangers were off to their hot start this season, I didn't see why they'd need or want Sundin. They've obviously cooled off quite a bit (although luckily still doing good in the standings) and I now see that Sundin could hopefully bring some scoring, especially on the power play. The only thing that bugs me is that the Rangers would then have 3 centers that would be first line on many teams and this still wouldn't help their issues on defense.

Quite a few sites (TSN, all of the NY papers & more) are reporting that Sundin has narrowed his choices down to the Vancouver Canucks and the New York Rangers. It is also said he expects to make a decision by Friday.

TSN.ca article

I admit when the Rangers were off to their hot start this season, I didn't see why they'd need or want Sundin. They've obviously cooled off quite a bit (although luckily still doing good in the standings) and I now see that Sundin could hopefully bring some scoring, especially on the power play. The only thing that bugs me is that the Rangers would then have 3 centers that would be first line on many teams and this still wouldn't help their issues on defense.

It may not help their defense, but he'd sure look nice in a Rangers jersey.

I wonder how attached Zherdev is to #13?

It is also said he expects to make a decision by Friday.

Considering how his decision making process has gone so far, I wouldn't put much stock in that deadline.

I think these are really the only teams left with the cap room. I think he limited himself a lot by waiting so long.

Considering how his decision making process has gone so far, I wouldn't put much stock in that deadline.

I think these are really the only teams left with the cap room. I think he limited himself a lot by waiting so long.

The Canucks definitely have cap room. The Rangers do not. They'd have to make some moves to offer Sundin much of anything, and even then it'd be a big pay cut for him (even pro-rated for half a season).

NY Post article on Ranger's salary situation in regards to Sundin

The Canucks definitely have cap room. The Rangers do not. They'd have to make some moves to offer Sundin much of anything, and even then it'd be a big pay cut for him (even pro-rated for half a season).

NY Post article on Ranger's salary situation in regards to Sundin

Good point on the cap. I remember growing up how everyone would marvel at the Rangers paying out big bucks for big name yet aging talent and get nowhere. History is destined to repeat itself methinks.

Good point on the cap. I remember growing up how everyone would marvel at the Rangers paying out big bucks for big name yet aging talent and get nowhere. History is destined to repeat itself methinks.

Yeh as a Rangers fan I was never big on the idea of just buying veterans instead of growing young talent from within the organization. It's reversed a bit in recent years with young guys like Dubinsky, Dawes, Callahan, Staal, and Girardi working their way up from the AHL to make the Rangers roster as regulars. Now if only they can keep that young talent instead of overspending on veteran free-agents. I've always been impressed by the balance teams like Detroit have with good F/A acquisitions and still growing players from within the organization.

Its official Mats Sundin is a canuck http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=398892&...vid=DL|NHL|home as a maple leaf i would like to say good luck mats and also as an oiler fan watch out for the canucks in the northwest division :unsure:

I gotta admit - I thought he was headed to the Rangers. I figured if he wanted to go to Vancouver, he would have signed with them long ago. I'm partly disappointed but not much - I was really nervous as to what the Rangers would have to do get Sundin and even more worried about what the cost would be to try to keep him at the end of the year.

I know this is a little off topic, but I know when a player goes to a different team their jersey price on the last team goes down a lot. Does anyone know where I can find an authentic Sundin jersey for cheap? I dont really trust ebay. Please help.

I know this is a little off topic but i know when a player goes to a different team there jersey price on the last team goes down a lot but dose anyone know where i can find an authentic sundin jersey for cheap. i dont really trust ebay. please help.

If the team discounts it then go through the shop.nhl.com or a Toronto store I guess.

I thought for sure Mats was going to Broadway but now Vancouver is all types of excited. The West is always so tightly packed, his addition should make the last few months really interesting.