Team Canada

Cutch

It appears that the IOC is going to enforce a rule that prohibits the use of the Hockey Canada logo on the front of the jersey (the black/red maple leaf with the hockey player).

I was never a big fan of that crest...I prefer the one they have on their third jersys (black) so I am looking forward to the new deign that they will have to come up with.

I have the third jersey and was planning on getting a white...guess I will have to wait a little longer.

I don't understand the purpose of this rule. Also does this mean that the US will need to change its logo too?

I'm curious too. Isn't the USA logo in the same category...I hope not....

Trying to figure out if this was a World Cup jersey....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=350122312933

Trying to figure out if this was a World Cup jersey....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=350122312933

Yes, that was worn in the 1996 World Cup of Hockey with the large World Cup patch on the chest as well as the 1996 and 1997 World Championships with "Warsteiner" sponsor patches.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't understand the purpose of this rule. Also does this mean that the US will need to change its logo too?

An update on the jersey situation, Canada isn't taking this laying down (big surprise).

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

I'd have thought Hockey Canada would be pleased by this, chance to put out another new jersey and sell a bundle of them?

My understanding is that's the problem - the IOC doesn't want Hockey Canada or Hockey USA to be able to make money off of jerseys worn in the Olympics. I'm assuming that means the IOC somehow wants to get a cut of the profits of any Olympic jerseys. To me it seems like a money grab for the IOC, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, you could be right Akt, they could be looking for a slice of the merchanise pie. I just figured it was some dumb IOC rule that'd force HC to design a new logo for the jersey that's different to theirs.

Out of interest, are Canadians that fond of that particular logo?

Yeah, you could be right Akt, they could be looking for a slice of the merchanise pie. I just figured it was some dumb IOC rule that'd force HC to design a new logo for the jersey that's different to theirs.

Out of interest, are Canadians that fond of that particular logo?

Hockey Canada sure is fond of that logo. It's the basis for their brand identity and they make a ton of money off of it to fund many of their programs. Being forced to take that off their jerseys would affect them in many ways.

I think its a money issue on both sides. The Hockey Canada logo obviously brings them in quite a bit of money. Possibly changing to a jersey that they may not even own the rights to the design is a big deal. And as I stated before I'm pretty sure the IOC's reason for this rule probably has some financial benefit to them.

The difference between the two is I believe that Hockey Canada (just like USA Hockey) isn't out to get rich. They are a business but their business is promoting hockey at all levels for all groups. Maybe I'm being too naive, but I think that the money made off of Canadian Olympic Hockey jerseys does more for the sport of hockey if the money goes to Hockey Canada than the IOC.

Hockey Canada sure is fond of that logo. It's the basis for their brand identity and they make a ton of money off of it to fund many of their programs. Being forced to take that off their jerseys would affect them in many ways.

So does HC just get a slice of the merchandise based on the fact their logo is used, and if their logo isn't used the money goes elsewhere? I figured they'd own the rights to the jersey full stop, no matter what's on it, so whatever they churn out they'd take the proceeds.

So does HC just get a slice of the merchandise based on the fact their logo is used, and if their logo isn't used the money goes elsewhere? I figured they'd own the rights to the jersey full stop, no matter what's on it, so whatever they churn out they'd take the proceeds.

I think they get the lion's share of the merchandise revenue (if not all of it) but I think their revenues would greatly decrease if the jerseys the players were wearing weren't the ones they had complete control over. IOC, I think, definitely wants a piece of that merch pie especially with the location of the 2010 olympiad. What are the other options for HC, put a beaver with some hockey sticks on the front?

What are the other options for HC, put a beaver with some hockey sticks on the front?

I would think a moose would be better.

Seriously though, I don't see why they couldn't have a red and white maple leaf styled jersey, afterall that'd be based on the Canadian flag - I think they just can't use the HC logo with the maple leaf and the skater. In the same way I think the USA jerseys can still be red white and blue and have USA on them just not the same logo that USA Hockey uses.