Rangers Prospect Passes Away in Russia

lafountain

When I read that he died I assumed it must have been an auto accident, but for a 19 year old, and a professional athlete in top physical condition to die of a heart attack? It's just not even comprehensible.

I'm just stunned and really saddened, as I was greatly anticipating his arrival in the NHL and really looking forward to seeing the impact he was going to have.

I'm just stunned and really saddened, as I was greatly anticipating his arrival in the NHL and really looking forward to seeing the impact he was going to have.

I agree on both accounts. I too was really looking forward to seeing him come over to the NHL. Once Jagr announced that he was indeed going to play for Omsk, in my mind I just saw him preparing Alexei for life in the NHL and in New York.

Edit: I guess Jagr was mentoring Cherepanov and letting him know what to expect.

Cherepanov and his Avangard teammate Jaromir Jagr, the former Rangers captain, had developed a close relationship in the past two months as the older veteran worked with the youngster to teach him about the game and professional hockey, and acquaint him with the Rangers and the N.H.L.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/...es-during-game/

Terrible news, I was shocked when I saw the headline today. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and may he rest in peace.

Another heart attack...we've been seeing so many heart problems in hockey these days its terrifying...

Truly sad. You would hope that there could be some sort of EKG/screening process for players nowadays. Its really a tragedy.

Wow ... Cherepanov was a very talented young man who I was looking forward to seeing wearing Ranger blue someday. Any young death is a tragedy, especially one with such promise.

On a separate but related note.

Incidents like this bring out the best in some and the worst in others.

Many people trying to profit off of a tragic incident. Yesterday on ebay, there were only 6 items of Cherepanov up for auction and today there are 103 items for auction and only 2 of them are not marked as New Listings. This happens after every loss of life, and I personally find it dispicable (sp). I chose to wear my Cherepanov jersey yesterday in his honor and never did I have the thought of trying to profit off the tragedy.

Horrible news indeed. I agree that the "vultures" are coming out of the woodwork on Ebay. The one sure way to stop them is to NOT buy anything from them, period.

Wasn't it one of the Flyers rookies that was killed in a freak boating accident where he fell out and the prop hit him in the neck? Was several if not many seasons ago.

If not, it needs to become commonplace. There seems like there's been a common theme of heart issues among athletes these days.

And commonplace should be defibrillators at arenas. I remember seeing a special on CBC between periods one year about the over 40 rec league players and the heart troubles that happen there. I think it should be mandatory everywhere.

And commonplace should be defibrillators at arenas. I remember seeing a special on CBC between periods one year about the over 40 rec league players and the heart troubles that happen there. I think it should be mandatory everywhere.

IIRC, I believe the military had made it mandatory to have a portable defibrillator in all government buildings on bases. I think its a law everywhere now though, but I'm not sure.

IIRC, I believe the military had made it mandatory to have a portable defibrillator in all government buildings on bases. I think its a law everywhere now though, but I'm not sure.

Not every workcenter on base has them. The Air Force makes each unit purchase them themselves. Here on Mountain Home there are only 10 or so on base.

Not every workcenter on base has them. The Air Force makes each unit purchase them themselves. Here on Mountain Home there are only 10 or so on base.

Hmm, this is really interesting. I wonder if they are cost prohibitive and thus not everywhere or just people haven't thought about it? Heart disease is rampant in this country and elsewhere so aside from the rink its probably good to have them in other various locations.

Really? I could've sworn during a CPR training class I'd heard they had become mandatory. Its been awhile since I took the class. I do remember seeing one in the Base Exchange towards the front of the store. I believe my AMU did have one on hand in the shop.

With the way heart issues have been affecting athletes these days, they definitely need to be in every stadium/arena. That's one of the edges that the pro sports have that their amateur/rec leagues don't. They can and often need to have an ambulance at the arena.

Keep in mind that while a defib can save some people from the brink, if it's a bad enough attack it won't matter what you do. A massive Heart Attack kills people every day IN the hospital, with all the equipment and drugs (and know how). I'm not trying to make light of the situation or argue that they should be mandatory everywhere, bottom line is if it's bad enough all the medical assistance in the world won't be able to bring you back.