Practice jersey question

DerbyCoyote

Easy enough question here I'm sure: to what degree are the practice jerseys customised, if at all? (i.e back number, front letter, arm numbers etc). In particular Florida's from last season. I'm fairly sure it's just back and front, but just wanted to check.

Easy enough question here I'm sure: to what degree are the practice jerseys customised, if at all? (i.e back number, front letter, arm numbers etc). In particular Florida's from last season. I'm fairly sure it's just back and front, but just wanted to check.

The Minnesota Wild only put single color numbers on the backs of practice jerseys during training camp. There are no other items like front letters, arm numbers or names. For the rest of the year they are blank so they can mix and match line combinations by jersey colors.

2137060180100337552S200x200Q85.jpg

I don't recall yet seeing a team actually using those RBK Platinum practice jerseys in camp or during a practice - I was trying to dig up pictures, but all I could find was pictures of the Rangers camp from last year. They still seem to be using the old CCM Center Ice practice jerseys with numbers and no names.

gomezjagr.jpg

averyshanahan.jpg

Granted I normally just follow the Rangers camp etc. but I am sure that most or atleast a good portion of teams seem to still be using the CCM Center Ice practice jerseys.

Well I just proved myself wrong, I found a pic from a Rangers practice with the RBK Platinum practice jerseys. I still don't recall seeing them often in pictures compared to the old CCM Center Ice jerseys that are still in heavy use:

averylundqvist.jpg

Whats weird about those pictures you have posted is that photo of the Rangers in the CCM jerseys is actually from after the one you posted with the standard CCM jerseys. If you look at Avery's gloves in both pictures, the one with rbk jerseys say MIA on the cuff. The CCM picture shows Warrior. Warrior bought out MIA and put their name on the gloves starting last season. Also, I know I've seen the Thrashers wear light blue versions of the RBK jerseys before Saturday games, as they had some sort of give away with them and green versions of the RBK practice uniform for their St. Patrick's Day auction. Also the Penguins were using the Crosbys first season, as his line had the light blue jerseys which lead to speculation that they would be bringing out the powder blue jerseys the next season. It took a bit longer,but it happened.

Thanks Jeff, is that one of these:

99587.jpg

? (Except the red one obviously)

No, mine is an old style Jofa. The authentic ones used by the team were Jofa, and the ones sold to the public were CCM.

The Wild did use the RBK's last year in practice.

Not the best picture, but you can see the Thrashers actually wear blank jerseys at practice. A while ago nhl auctions had some Thrashers Practice worn jerseys for auction and inside of the jerseys they have the players number written and that is how they figured out who wore what jersey.

ThrashHuddle-1-121907.jpg

I found this picture of the Panthers wearing their practice jerseys. It appears they keep them blank as well.

2331406968_dd24f80f1a_b.jpg

I've actually seen a few fans at Wild games take a CCM practice jersey, like black or red, and have it fully customized with names and a full set of numbers in three colors that actually look really sharp when completed. Completely inaccurate, but a creative and well executed conversation piece.

I was planning on getting a Thrashers one done up to add to my Kovalchuk collection, but since the Thrashers don't wear anything on them seems like it wouldn't really be worth getting other than to have the jersey itself.

• 2 months later...

JeffB, or anyone... I'm looking for a little more info on the Jofa and CCM practice jerseys.

I picked up this impulse buy yesterday at HawkQuarters. Couldn't resist the sale price.

jofals7.jpg

All the practice jerseys are listed as surplus/used team equipment. There were a bunch of Jofas on the rack and quite a few CCM's as well. Some of them had what looked to be screened on numbers, and velcro for nameplates. All the CCMs had the orange and black Ceneter Ice patch. All the Jofas had the silver and black Center Ice patch.

I'm wondering what years this layout of practice jersey was used. Did the Jofas come first and then the CCMs? I remember seeing a pic of a much older practice jersey which had the team crest inside a huge Center Ice patch on the front, and I've see the RBK practice jerseys (came out for 06-07 practices?), but was looking for clarification on the time between those years.

JeffB, or anyone... I'm looking for a little more info on the Jofa and CCM practice jerseys.

I picked up this impulse buy yesterday at HawkQuarters. Couldn't resist the sale price.

jofals7.jpg

All the practice jerseys are listed as surplus/used team equipment. There were a bunch of Jofas on the rack and quite a few CCM's as well. Some of them had what looked to be screened on numbers, and velcro for nameplates. All the CCMs had the orange and black Ceneter Ice patch. All the Jofas had the silver and black Center Ice patch.

I'm wondering what years this layout of practice jersey was used. Did the Jofas come first and then the CCMs? I remember seeing a pic of a much older practice jersey which had the team crest inside a huge Center Ice patch on the front, and I've see the RBK practice jerseys (came out for 06-07 practices?), but was looking for clarification on the time between those years.

It's my opinion, to the best of my recollection, that the year they started doing the CCM's as home jerseys and the roads and alternates tagged as Koho, was the year they started calling the practice jerseys Jofa, which would be 2000-01. This would have been through 2003-04. Then coming out of the lockout in 05-06 they started using Reebok, which I believe was the year some teams started wearing the new Reebok practice jerseys with the large, rounded white side panels. I know the Wild continued to use the Jofa's they had on hand for 2005-06. I own a Jofa training camp jersey from that year and went to some practices that year.

CCM practice jerseys would then be from 1999-00 and earlier. I'm not certain on the change from the huge Center Ice patch on the front and the change to the smaller version on the upper chest area.

I'm not positive about all the teams, but I know the Wild only uses numbers on practice jerseys during training camp. I've seen a couple of other teams practice in person, Phoenix, Vancouver and Anaheim, and they have not used numbers either.

I'd say yours is from 2000-01 to 2003-04. Final answer.

Thanks for the clarification Jeff.

Man, as if regular jerseys weren't enough, now I'm getting into practice jerseys. This thing is addicive, isn't it? ^_^

At Wings camp and practice they have had their names and numbers sewn onto the jerseys. http://www.americanhockeycenter.net/misc_i...s_practice4.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I've been to several of the Washington Capitals training camps in the past 10 years, and I remember them having numbers (no names) on the back at some of them. Since the inception of the Reebok practice sweaters, the jerseys are blank, but they wear interchangeable, velcro-type papers on their backs that indicate their numbers. Their helmets are also numbered for identification.

Thanks for the clarification Jeff.

Man, as if regular jerseys weren't enough, now I'm getting into practice jerseys. This thing is addicive, isn't it? ^_^

Same here, I love the alt colored ones (like that Blackhawks jersey). Just one more thing to blow my money on!