Malkin wants to sign extension with Pens

Evgeni Malkin wants to resign with Pittsburgh with a long-term contract:

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_572532.html

I thought he'd be one to try his luck next year on the open market...try to be the big guy by himself on another team, and not be in Crosby's shadow.

It's working for me. Did you maybe post it in a different forum where it wouldn't have belonged? If so, one of the mods may have deleted it or moved it for you.

Nah, I kept posting it here.

But it seems after I made a second post to the thread, it kept it from disappearing...

Anyway...all good now.

Evgeni Malkin wants to resign with Pittsburgh with a long-term contract:

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_572532.html

I thought he'd be one to try his luck next year on the open market...try to be the big guy by himself on another team, and not be in Crosby's shadow.

One can only hope that the final number is like the Crosby discount to try and keep that team together. Of course, it also hinges on what happens with Hossa. It will be a heck of an offseason.

One can only hope that the final number is like the Crosby discount to try and keep that team together. Of course, it also hinges on what happens with Hossa. It will be a heck of an offseason.

They also have to get Fleury signed to a long-term deal. This is gonna be an expensive off season for the Penguins.

They also have to get Fleury signed to a long-term deal. This is gonna be an expensive off season for the Penguins.

At least they don't have to do that right away, with the salary arbitration on Fleury. They're well under the cap right now, so they have some room.

At least they don't have to do that right away, with the salary arbitration on Fleury. They're well under the cap right now, so they have some room.

All the arbitration really did was give them an extra few weeks to negotiate the long term deal since he isn't a RFA on Jul 1 now, and the earliest his hearing would be is Jul 20. So it prevents teams from swooping in and signing Fleury to an offer sheet. If he goes to arbitration, gotta figure that an arbitrator is gonna give him a pretty big deal.

All the arbitration really did was give them an extra few weeks to negotiate the long term deal since he isn't a RFA on Jul 1 now, and the earliest his hearing would be is Jul 20. So it prevents teams from swooping in and signing Fleury to an offer sheet. If he goes to arbitration, gotta figure that an arbitrator is gonna give him a pretty big deal.

Yeah, but there's no way the Pens wouldn't match any offer made. And yeah, that'll push them up towards the cap for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
Good for them! I was hearing rumors that he was willing to take less money to stay there. I'm growing to really like Evgeni both on and off the ice.

Me too. I was worried that he would become greedy, but it appears he hasn't. Good for him. :stickhndl:

Me too. I was worried that he would become greedy, but it appears he hasn't. Good for him. :stickhndl:

Yup, when I heard about that 12.5 million dollar tax free contract the Russian Continental Hockey League was offering him, I have to admit, I was worried. I couldn't see him going to all that trouble to leave Russia, only to go back.

Yup, when I heard about that 12.5 million dollar tax free contract the Russian Continental Hockey League was offering him, I have to admit, I was worried. I couldn't see him going to all that trouble to leave Russia, only to go back.

Interesting that he signed for 8.7. Couldn't he be convinced to do his number 7.1? That with the Orpik signing stops the bleeding a bit for the Pens. It will be interesting to see who they can add or if they will rely on any of the Baby Pens.

I wonder if they'd try to get any of their old-time guys back that are on the market to get some more offense, like Straka or Naslund? Or trying for and getting Jagr...that would be something.

I wonder if they'd try to get any of their old-time guys back that are on the market to get some more offense, like Straka or Naslund? Or trying for and getting Jagr...that would be something.

Seems like they are out of the running for 2 out of 3 of those. It will be really interesting to see if Pitt can get back to the SC again with all the turnover they have experienced in the offseason.

Yeah, and I don't think they'll even try for Straka now. They don't need any more centers anyway. Where they are weakest is on the left wing and at backup goaltender. But I think now they are stronger on the left wing than last season, now that they've added Fedotenko, Cooke, and Pesonen. I think they're beginning to look stronger all-around than they did last season.

Yeah, and I don't think they'll even try for Straka now. They don't need any more centers anyway. Where they are weakest is on the left wing and at backup goaltender. But I think now they are stronger on the left wing than last season, now that they've added Fedotenko, Cooke, and Pesonen. I think they're beginning to look stronger all-around than they did last season.

I tend to agree with you, I am just wondering how everything will work out chemistry-wise.