Jersey Prices for next year.

lafountain

I saw on another board that someone stated that the authentics were going to be $300 next season up from the $250 this season.

Here is the post that was on that board.

Per official catalog, Edge Authentics are going up in price for 2008-09 season:

2007-08: $250 for blank

2008-09: $300 for blank

I PM'ed Wolf about this asking for possible confirmation and here is his response.

Yes - it is likely that most sites will be selling the Authentic at around $300. This price increase is purely a reflection of the weakened US dollar vs Canadian dollar, which has driven up the cost for those retailers buying jerseys in US dollars. We buy in Canadian dolllars, so our cost will not really increase much next year, however we lost our shirt this year on Authentics because we had to sell them at $250 to be competitive with the US market price. Everywhere else in Canada, Authentics were already $300. Next year, we will likely be at around $295 (depending on where the market price is set by others like NHL.com - which will most likely be $299).

As for Replicas, they will also most likely go up from about $115 to $125, once again strictly due to the US greenback... can't blame Reebok. We wish we could keep our prices lower here at IJ, but overall we took a HUGE hit this year because we bought our merchandise based on prices set over a year ago, so everything cost more in CAD (as manufacturers set prices based on the market a year in advance. At that time, the CAD dollar was 10-15% weaker than the US dollar). However once the season was upon us, the US prices that we set to remain competitive, brought us in 10-15% less in Canadian dollars - so it was a triple whammy for us: We bought merchandise at prices that were set much higher than our competition south of the border, we had to lower our US selling prices to remain competitive with our US competition, and lower our CAD prices to keep our Canadian customers happy. And to top it all off... in the end, the US dollars we took in when we sold our goods, were worth less when converted to CAD.

Next year, we should be on a more level playing field, so we should be more competitive on pricing since the buying price gap between US and Canadian retailers has narrowed. We will always do our best to offer the most competitive prices possible, and feel we will be able to do that more so next year - however the market value of goods manufactured outside of the US will unfortunately be higher across the board as a result of the economy.

Feel free to post this reponse on the BB if you want.

CW

While this likely means I will look for deals whenever I can find them, my jersey purchases next year will definitely be less than they are this and in previous seasons.

Thanks for your response Wolf.

Well for me the price really did make a difference this year. Since I had a new local team to buy jerseys for, that really was it for the most part. Since September I have purchased (of the new RBK's) 2 Edge, 3 AHL Premier's (all LEM), 3 NHL Premier's (CBJ H & A; Van H) and that's it. That is a lot less than I would have purchased in normal years. I think the $115/250-300 price points are my breaking point. And if the prices go up next year, then I'll be happy standing pat with what I have.

Well for me the price really did make a difference this year. Since I had a new local team to buy jerseys for, that really was it for the most part. Since September I have purchased (of the new RBK's) 2 Edge, 3 AHL Premier's (all LEM), 3 NHL Premier's (CBJ H & A; Van H) and that's it. That is a lot less than I would have purchased in normal years. I think the $115/250-300 price points are my breaking point. And if the prices go up next year, then I'll be happy standing pat with what I have.

Yeah, I bought 2 EDGE and 2 Premier's this season. Next season the ECHL is supposedly adopting the EDGE style, so I will more than likely pick up an Idaho Steelhead jersey, but other than that I don't know if any other EDGE jerseys will be purchased by me, but we shall see.

What also scares me is that ASG jerseys are traditionally about $50 more than standard when they come out, so is next years ASG jersey gonna be $350?

Awwww I wanted to buy a TB 3rd jersey next year :(

I think competitive pricing will keep the price steadfast I'm not concerned about next year regardless of Wolf's message but I'm sure Reebok has spread that word across all buyers about an increase, the market should correct itself to the mean which is about $250. There are dealers who will price down to $200 for blank Edge jerseys but $250 is reasonable and will stay that way. I'm no Economics professor, just my theory.

The only reason I can see a jump at the beginning of next season is for the entrance of new 3rd jerseys which will drive hype and bring out the must-have buyers.

This is making me love my old style jerseys more and more.

Its true- they were great looking jerseys for a reasonable price considering all the fabric in them (compared to say a football jersey). Now its going to be 3 bills and beyond? Man I hope I win that April 1st contest!

Its true- they were great looking jerseys for a reasonable price considering all the fabric in them (compared to say a football jersey). Now its going to be 3 bills and beyond? Man I hope I win that April 1st contest!

I'd forgotten about that contest. Yeah, a free jersey would really be a killer win about now. Prices for authentics were crazy already, now they're practically out of my price range. It's too bad. I'd really like to get an authentic 3rd Bolts jersey next season if they're cool. But, the problem lies in that I also like food, and a home, and power! :thumbsup:

By the way, thanks for breaking my heart last night. 2 goals in 3 minutes? Only the Lightningcould blow that lead man, only the Lightning...

Not touching the new stuff. Just plain crazy the way they jacked up these prices....

I'd forgotten about that contest. Yeah, a free jersey would really be a killer win about now. Prices for authentics were crazy already, now they're practically out of my price range. It's too bad. I'd really like to get an authentic 3rd Bolts jersey next season if they're cool. But, the problem lies in that I also like food, and a home, and power! :thumbsup:

By the way, thanks for breaking my heart last night. 2 goals in 3 minutes? Only the Lightningcould blow that lead man, only the Lightning...

LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!!!!!!

sorry...couldn't resist.

• 2 weeks later...