Autographs on your jerseys

TBLightningFan

Do you get your jerseys autographed? If so, by who? If not, why not?

I only ask because I've got a collection growing and am gonna be heading to an open practice soon, probably with a few jerseys in tow for my favorite Bolt players to sign. Do I get my authentics signed by the player that wears that jersey, do I pick one for the whole team to sign, do I do something else? All I've done so far is get the Lightning captain (can anyone guess who that is without cheating? Hint: he hasn't played this season!) to sign a practice jersey I happened to be wearing that day.

I'm not looking to make a buck off my jerseys, I'd never sell them, but do you think it detracts from their appearance? Does it add to their collect ability? Do you wear them after they've been signed? What's your personal thoughts on this?

Thanks for the insight guys! Apologies if this topic has been addressed before.

There's no right or wrong answer. IF I have an convenient opportunity to get a player to autograph my jersey, I will, although I didn't get Jovo to sign mine, yet. I will not wear my well-publicized Bobby Hull signed jersey, since I am not sure if the silver sharpie will wear off. I wear my Gretzky autographed jersey that I got for being a Coyotes season ticket holder. To get the whole team to sign it, I personally would go crazy if I was missing one or two signatures. I get my jerseys signed with the 'Rub-a-Dub' laundry marker Sharpie and have washed them about a dozen times without the signature coming off, that's just my experience with that.

I guess, for me, is whether I will be using the jersey to play hockey or not. If not I am for it. I think a lot of these markers used for the signatures won't rub off too easily if you wear the jersey to watch the games a lot.

Once I get a jersey signed, I don't wear it again, which is why I don't like getting my jerseys signed. I used to, though. I have a signed Elias jersey, a USA jersey signed by Roenick, and a Brodeur jersey that I always used to bring to practices to get signed by everyone when I was a kid, I couldn't tell you who half the autographs are but I know I have some big names like Brodeur, Scott Stevens, Larry Robinson, and Scott Niedermayer, who not only signed the jersey but got pizza sauce all over it in the process. :glare:

As a child I used to get items signed all the time. Had a baseball glove that was signed by many players from the Tacoma Tigers (AAA Affiliate of the Oakland A's at the time). Didn't know any better as a kid and actually still used the glove in games. As an adult now though, if I had an autographed jersey I probably wouldn't wear it. Also if the jersey is customized, I probably would only get it signed by the player on the jersey, otherwise I would get a team signed blank.

For the most part though, I just get autographed pucks nowadays. I only have 2 autographed jerseys, and haven't worn either one since I got them.

As for the other part of the original question. Tim Taylor is the C of the Lightning, though would have thought Lecavalier would have gotten it back, but hasn't so far. (Note: I did have to look it up - so yes I did cheat.)

It depends is my take on it.

I was once wearing my Brodeur jersey and got to meet him after a game and had him sign it. I was also once wearing a Gretzky Canada jersey with an unexpected opportunity for him to sign that. I later got another Gretzky Oilers signed.

I bought a Mikko Koivu off of ebay already signed.

On the other hand, I've had multiple of opportunities to have Wild players sign jerseys, like Roloson, Rolston, Demitra, Gaborik, etc. and not done it. Part of me wants my jersey to look like it did when the player wore it on the ice, with extra patches added, and since the players don't skate in signed jerseys, I've chosen to leave most of mine as is. Have you ever seen the horrid scribble that is a Duwayne Roloson signature? You wouldn't want that crappy ink blob on your jersey!

I was even once wearing a Gopher jersey of a player to an event he was at. He complimented me on it and offered to sign it, and I explained that I wanted it to look like it did when he wore it, and politely declined.

Part of not wanting to is because a jersey, especially the fabric of the body, just isn't a great surface for the ink. Numbers are better since the twill is a better surface to sign on.

Selanne on the other hand, is going to be a hall of famer and has a fantastic signature. I'd have him sign in a heartbeat.

So, a superstar hall of fame player who you get to meet once in a lifetime - probably. Everybody else, eh, probably not. It's a fine line and I'm not entirely sure how to explain my rationale.

As for the other part of the original question. Tim Taylor is the C of the Lightning, though would have thought Lecavalier would have gotten it back, but hasn't so far. (Note: I did have to look it up - so yes I did cheat.)

I could've told you Lecalvalier wasn't the C of the Dolts...err...Bolts (sorry...i hang around with Thrashers fans too much :thumbsup: )

Couldn't have told you Taylor was the C though.

I could've told you Lecalvalier wasn't the C of the Dolts...err...Bolts (sorry...i hang around with Thrashers fans too much :thumbsup: )

Couldn't have told you Taylor was the C though.

The Dolts?! Ouch.... Hey...ask your Thrasher friend something for me and a friend of mine...

Separated at birth?

blechschildbacardi11226ur2.jpg

atlantathrashers2vv4.gif

Sorry, my girlfriend and I noticed that at a game, and it seemed close to us. Maybe it was the 4 beers apiece?! :thumbsup:

Part of not wanting to is because a jersey, especially the fabric of the body, just isn't a great surface for the ink. Numbers are better since the twill is a better surface to sign on.

I concur! My jerseys are all signed on the twill numerals, not on the jersey itself.

The Dolts?! Ouch.... Hey...ask your Thrasher friend something for me and a friend of mine...

Separated at birth?

blechschildbacardi11226ur2.jpg

atlantathrashers2vv4.gif

Sorry, my girlfriend and I noticed that at a game, and it seemed close to us. Maybe it was the 4 beers apiece?! :thumbsup:

Why don't you climb on the Thrashers board with me...that's where all my Thrasher friends are (and where i learned that) and ask them yourself.

They are always welcoming of other team's fans (except for Sabres fans <_< )

Why don't you climb on the Thrashers board with me...that's where all my Thrasher friends are (and where i learned that) and ask them yourself.

They are always welcoming of other team's fans (except for Sabres fans <_< )

Sure, I'll google 'em!

(and as an aside before someone thinks I'm a lightweight, we're talking the tall crazy cans of molson, four of THOSE, not 4 american beers!)

Sure, I'll google 'em!

(and as an aside before someone thinks I'm a lightweight, we're talking the tall crazy cans of molson, four of THOSE, not 4 american beers!)

forums.atlantathrashers.com

The only time I've really liked getting a jersey signed is when I got Mike Vukonich to sign his game worn jersey I bought from the team a few years back. I'm not too big on signatures otherwise. I am a huge hockey card collector, so I try to dig through and find the ones of players I may get a chance to meet (like I did at the Coyotes Game Night last year). I particularly like getting guys to sign their rookie cards. Kevyn Adams and Ed Jovanovski were curious about the rookie cards of them I had them sign last year. It can be a great conversation starter.

If I have an opportunity to get a jersey signed by the player whose name is on it, I'll go for it. The result of that was the Red Wings Martin Lapointe and Alex Delvecchio that I have. I rarely wear them out because I noticed after many years that my Lapointe jersey is stained from numerous outings at various bars and while those bleach/detergent sticks do a fairly decent job on cleaning, they're not perfect. So both that and the Delvecchio hang off to the side in my closet.

Overall, my attitude is that the signature and customization should match, and that I won't wear it out in public regularly once it IS signed for fear of spilling something or getting something spilled on the jersey and needing a washing thereafter. If I'm going to get multiple signatures on one jersey, I'd rather use a blank for it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went ahead and got 2 of my authentics autographed. Fun story, at least for me.

I was getting concerned my favorite player Brad Richards is the center of trade rumors and I never even got to meet the guy except through the glass, so I made plans to attend a practice and hopefully meet some players afterwards. The team practices about 45 minutes from here in the butt end of nowhere, Brandon, Florida, just behind what I think is a truck repair warehouse. Not the coolest place. But, we found it and caught a little of the practice. Luckily, all the big names were there, but I didn't see where they exited the rink in time to get any signatures so I went out back to where they park. They kept us away from the exit, but players COULD stop if they so chose and sign autographs, or blow right on buy the group of about 100 that was waiting to see them.

Long story short, most stopped. Richards wasn't going to, he was on the phone when he pulled up, but two cars in front of him had stopped and were signing, so he got off the phone and obliged us. People were telling me lately he hasn't stopped. He said he was off to a "meeting", and our Coach Tortorella wasn't at practice, so from the looks of things he was going back to work on a list of teams he'd waive his NTC for. He looked dejected, it really shook me up. Anyway, he's what I got.

P1010674.jpg

Still a polite guy, just seemed kinda heartbroken. I really feel for him.

And here's someone you may recognize with my girlfriend, a buddy and the kid his girlfriend babysits (we used her as bait for autographs! can't resist a cute kid!).

P1010670.jpg

P1010675.jpg

I'm not pictured because I'm a vampire and don't show up on film. Or I was taking the picture, something like that.

Vinny is by far the nicest hockey player I've ever met, everything people say about him is absolutely true. He parked his Escalade and stayed with every fan until they'd all seen and talked to him. He chatted with some kids playing youth hockey on the other ice at the rink and complimented him on scoring a goal in their game! He was even holding babies and taking pictures with them, like a presidential candidate. Such a class act.

Coincidentally, I also had my Marty St. Louis jersey there for autographs, but he didn't stop. People tell me he's been stopping less and less lately.

All in all, not a bad haul. Sorry I'm so long winded, I was just really excited. Now I'm watching the trade wire, hoping #19 stays off. Take Prospal or Boyle, please and thank you.

Now I'm torn. Do I still wear them? I'm thinking no.

So I went ahead and got 2 of my authentics autographed. Fun story, at least for me.

I was getting concerned my favorite player Brad Richards is the center of trade rumors and I never even got to meet the guy except through the glass, so I made plans to attend a practice and hopefully meet some players afterwards. The team practices about 45 minutes from here in the butt end of nowhere, Brandon, Florida, just behind what I think is a truck repair warehouse. Not the coolest place. But, we found it and caught a little of the practice. Luckily, all the big names were there, but I didn't see where they exited the rink in time to get any signatures so I went out back to where they park. They kept us away from the exit, but players COULD stop if they so chose and sign autographs, or blow right on buy the group of about 100 that was waiting to see them.

Long story short, most stopped. Richards wasn't going to, he was on the phone when he pulled up, but two cars in front of him had stopped and were signing, so he got off the phone and obliged us. People were telling me lately he hasn't stopped. He said he was off to a "meeting", and our Coach Tortorella wasn't at practice, so from the looks of things he was going back to work on a list of teams he'd waive his NTC for. He looked dejected, it really shook me up. Anyway, he's what I got.

Still a polite guy, just seemed kinda heartbroken. I really feel for him.

And here's someone you may recognize with my girlfriend, a buddy and the kid his girlfriend babysits (we used her as bait for autographs! can't resist a cute kid!).

I'm not pictured because I'm a vampire and don't show up on film. Or I was taking the picture, something like that.

Vinny is by far the nicest hockey player I've ever met, everything people say about him is absolutely true. He parked his Escalade and stayed with every fan until they'd all seen and talked to him. He chatted with some kids playing youth hockey on the other ice at the rink and complimented him on scoring a goal in their game! He was even holding babies and taking pictures with them, like a presidential candidate. Such a class act.

Coincidentally, I also had my Marty St. Louis jersey there for autographs, but he didn't stop. People tell me he's been stopping less and less lately.

All in all, not a bad haul. Sorry I'm so long winded, I was just really excited. Now I'm watching the trade wire, hoping #19 stays off. Take Prospal or Boyle, please and thank you.

Now I'm torn. Do I still wear them? I'm thinking no.

Sounds like a good day. From your description, it seems pretty similar to Devils practices I used to go to, except nobody really got out of their car, but everybody signed autographs and took pictures from inside their car. I went to a Flyers practice once and only a handful of them stopped, I remember Brashear speeding out some back entrance like he was in Need for Speed or something.

As for players being nice, that is true for a lot of players, which is awesome considering how egotistical a lot of basketball, baseball, and football players are. I ran into Cam Janssen once after a game last season and as he was signing autographs he heard my friend talking on his phone going "Hey guess who is in front of me now--Cam Janssen!....no I'm serious." So he grabbed the phone out of my friend's hand and goes "What's up my man? Sounds pretty loud in the background, you must be at a party or something..." and then he went on having a conversation with the guy as he was signing autographs for everyone.

Oh yea, and to answer your question: Nah I wouldn't wear them, especially since they are such good players. Wouldn't want to spill something on those.

I get them signed if I can. Went to Wings training camp and got these signed. Zetterberg (Wings, Timra), Datsyuk (Yekertinburg,Kazan,and Dynamo), Hudler (Vsetin,game worn and a Vsetin replica), Filppula (Jokerit), Chelios (Red Wings), got more autos,but need to lineup a few more jerseys for next year...and get more signed....hoping for Lids,Homer,Feds!Mac and more. Had Howard sign a blank GR jersey that I actually just sent in to IJ to get personalized. Would like to get him to sign on the numbers next year.

Since we are posting our "gotta get signed before the trade deadline" jerseys... Here is one I went to get autographed last week. It's Johan Hedberg's set 1 jersey from this year. He's a great guy and has always signed for me. This is a size 58G edge, which seems to be my favorite size thus far. I used to wear a 56 in last year's jerseys and bought a size 60 at the start of this season... I love this size though and wish it was available for consumers to purchase... Fits like a hockey jersey should.

post-401-1203984863_thumb.jpg

Duke:

Nice grab, he's one that may be disappearing from Blueland. Weren't people more worried about losing Hossa though? I know rumors were swirling around him.

A 58G I'd swim in. I fit pretty well in a 46 and a 50 is baggy and loose on me, so I guess a "hockey jersey fit" is different depending on the guy in the sweater. I do wonder why they don't make the 58 available for purchase, seems the larger jerseys sell a lot better than the smaller ones.

We pretty much gave up on Hossa during the summer, so I haven't put much stock in him all year. Getting the Hedberg shirt was a special pick up for me. I think as long as you think it is a shirt you aren't going to part with, then get it signed. It only adds to the story of the shirt...

We pretty much gave up on Hossa during the summer, so I haven't put much stock in him all year. Getting the Hedberg shirt was a special pick up for me. I think as long as you think it is a shirt you aren't going to part with, then get it signed. It only adds to the story of the shirt...

Duke, are you on the Thrashers board?

if so, what's your username on there?

I read all the Thrashers boards, but don't post much on the official one... I'm TheGiftedOne.... do most of my posting on smirkinchicken.com

oh ok

i'm on the official one as icepilotboy