Lightning Alternate jersey

devilsfan26

So I had a Roman Hamrlik Lightning alternate jersey with the paintbrush font used on it. When I found out that Hamrlik was never on the team when that font was used, I took the name off of it and decided that it will be a Stephane Richer jersey. Only problem is, I can't seem to find anywhere if he wore it with a C or an A. He was not the normal captain that season, Zamuner was, but according to a card of him that I stumbled upon, he wore the C at some point that season...probably when Zamuner's groin injury kept him out for a little while I'm guessing.

Anyway, what I'm trying to find out is if the team wore their alternates for a game while Richer was wearing the C, and what font was being used, or simply if Richer was wearing an A while Zamuner was in the lineup. I'm assuming since he definitely wore the C at some point and I know he wore the A in the previous season, he was a regular alternate captain in 1999-2000, but I just need somebody to confirm that.

Also, does anyone know how far into the season they switched from the paintbrush back to the electric font?

I found this picture on gettyimages of Richer wearing this jersey, but for some reason it doesn't show up when you try to enlarge it and I'm having a hard time figuring out if that is a C or A on his jersey and which font is used. Maybe someone else can tell, it is image #53131979 on www.gettyimages.com

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I've been waiting to get this baby customized for a while. The paintbrush 44 is already on the jersey from when it was a Hamrlik, so I'd prefer if I didn't have to change that in order to avoid ruining the jersey.

The Richer pic won't enlarge here either but that's definately a "C" he´s wearing.

p.s. The C looks like the paintbrush font, but I don't know about the numbers. Also, I´ve never seen the lightning font "C" before.

Yea that does look like a paintbrush C, but I found some other pictures on that site from what seems to be the same game and the players are wearing the electric font. I don't know what the electric C looks like either, so that combined with the small size of the picture makes it hard to tell. Assuming that picture is from the same game as the other pictures on gettyimages.com where the Lightning are playing the Islanders in the 1998-99 season and wearing their alternates, that picture is from December 12th, 1998, so that could have been right after the team switched back to the electric font. Do you think it is possible that they used the electric font numbers but just stuck on a paintbrush C since he was only the captain temporarily, or is that kind of farfetched?

I've called gettyimages tech support a few times telling them the picture won't enlarge, they said they would try to fix it but apparently they haven't been able to do that yet or just don't care. I've already put a lot of money into this jersey, so I would hate to have something that he never actually wore, so I think I'm going to send Richer himself a letter asking if he remembers a specific time wearing the C or A and whatever font with that jersey.

I'm probably doing more research for this jersey than I am on any research paper I've ever written haha. That's pretty sad, but the reason I took the Hamrlik off was to make the jersey accurate, so I'd hate to spend even more money on this only to end up making it inaccurate again.

Geez, I'm good.

Here's the game worn Zamuner with the electric numbers but paintbrush "C". Odd...

2701983400067574958S425x425Q85.jpg2570266490067574958S425x425Q85.jpg

When I was kid, I would always go see jerseys in sports shops around Montreal. And a store called Sport Expert carried this lightning 3rd jersey for 3 straight year and they would lower the price each year (as low as 50$) because nobody wanted to buy it. How I regret I didn't make a move today... **sigh**

Man, that baby is sweet. Did they use nameplates on that jersey? It looks like they didn't but it's hard to tell.

Yes, they used nameplates. You can see little "blips" of the rain streaks peeking out around the nameplate.

http://image42.webshots.com/43/2/66/49/257...58LIDGSp_fs.jpg

I got my first replica at a local store for $20. They had two and the other was gone when I went back for it. I did my first as a Lecavalier rookie with the 99 All-Star patch and paintbrush numbers, since that's what I thought they used that year. I was a bit unhappy when I found out they used the "proper" electric numbers that same year.

Then, when I found the "Cullen Shamrock" patches on ebay, I went out an got another one, since that gave me the opportunity to do another one with the electric numbers. Not the greatest roster of all times to pick from. I went with #16 Tucker.

It still bugged me about the Lecavalier with the paintbrush numbers, so I actually have a third one that I'm going to do as a Lecavalier electric rookie just to get that out of my system once I have a job again. <fingers crossed>

Geez, I'm good.

Here's the game worn Zamuner with the electric numbers but paintbrush "C". Odd...

Interesting...

So I guess I can finally come to a conclusion that in that picture Richer is indeed wearing the electric numbers with the paintbrush C.

Thanks a lot guys, I really hope taking the paintbrush 44 off doesn't ruin off the jersey.

Yes, they used nameplates. You can see little "blips" of the rain streaks peeking out around the nameplate.

http://image42.webshots.com/43/2/66/49/257...58LIDGSp_fs.jpg

I got my first replica at a local store for $20. They had two and the other was gone when I went back for it. I did my first as a Lecavalier rookie with the 99 All-Star patch and paintbrush numbers, since that's what I thought they used that year. I was a bit unhappy when I found out they used the "proper" electric numbers that same year.

Then, when I found the "Cullen Shamrock" patches on ebay, I went out an got another one, since that gave me the opportunity to do another one with the electric numbers. Not the greatest roster of all times to pick from. I went with #16 Tucker.

It still bugged me about the Lecavalier with the paintbrush numbers, so I actually have a third one that I'm going to do as a Lecavalier electric rookie just to get that out of my system once I have a job again. <fingers crossed>

Are you gonna want to get rid of one of the 3?

• 3 weeks later...
I can't seem to find any pics of Lecavalier wearing the electric font on the 3rd jersey. Does any have pics?

I have found pictures of him in games where they wore the electric font, but you can't see his back or even the sleeve numbers, so I'm guessing they wouldn't really help you out too much.

• 1 month later...
Interesting...

So I guess I can finally come to a conclusion that in that picture Richer is indeed wearing the electric numbers with the paintbrush C.

Thanks a lot guys, I really hope taking the paintbrush 44 off doesn't ruin off the jersey.

Can we see a picture of your richer jersey?

• 1 month later...
Game worn with the Cullen Patch on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-USED-TAMPA-BAY-LI...1QQcmdZViewItem

Seller has some other nice stuff available as well.

Like that Joe Sakic game-worn 92 All-Star jersey? DROOL.

• 8 months later...
I got a Wendel Clark Lightning alternate 3rd jersey up for auction on ebay. It's a replica jersey size XL and is the electric font and comes with the 1999 NHL all-star game patch sewn on. All letters and numbers are sewn on.

In the description you wrote this...

The rare "electric" font is used for the letters and numbers rather than the more common "paintbrush" font the Lightning used to use.

...but unless I'm mistaken, the paintbrush font is actually the rarer one for this jersey since it was only worn on the alternates for about half a season I believe.

In the description you wrote this...

...but unless I'm mistaken, the paintbrush font is actually the rarer one for this jersey since it was only worn on the alternates for about half a season I believe.

I think he meant it's less common since paintbrush font was used for home and away jerseys at the time.