Crosby Winter Classic game worn jersey auction in progress

JeffB

Time to sell the car and an offspring or two, it's the latest Holy Grail of Crosby, a game worn jersey from the Winter Classic.

Yes, check out the current price and be prepared to shake your head in disbelief.

Yes, as of Tuesday night, it's $25,880 and it's only one of THREE "game worn" ones that exist. And since it was worn for an entire 20 minutes, there's a mark on it! Ooooooohhhhhhh. That's hammered! <_<

Crosby Auction Link

How high will it finally go? Stay tuned...

Base price: $24,620

0-to-60-mph time: 5.6 sec

Quarter-mile time: 14.3 sec @ 96 mph

013120071603043798.jpg

2007 Subaru Impreza WRX

Base price: $24,024

0-to-60-mph time: 6.1 sec

Quarter-mile time: 14.5 sec @ 100 mph

013120071625324748.jpg

2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

OR

img5943309med.jpg

Now, seriously, I like jerseys as much as anyone, but I'd rather have the Mitsubishi and $1,800 in my pocket for gas money.

Which one do you think is going to help you get one of these? :thumbsup:

elisha-rd2a.jpg

Well I'm confident a Subaru Impreza will not get you a Cuthbert, although apparently you can be an NHL goon driving an Omni and still get the girl.

I can't believe the jersey is going that high, people with too much money to burn.

Closed at a measley $45000.

Well that kind of budget certainly allows you more choices in the automotive department, doesn't it?

The Audi A6 or the Audi TT, BMW 3 Series Convertible, Infiniti M35, Nissan 350Z Roadster or perhaps even a Corvette.

Or how about the Cuthbert-worthy and infinitely sexy Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class?

_25_040.jpg

The shocking thing about that price to me is it means there were actually two people willing to pay that much. An auction price doesn't get that high without competition.

It's not a jersey that he actually scored a goal in. It's not like it's beat up with cool repairs or stick and puck marks. It's one of three he wore that day. There's no denying it's a great jersey from a unique event, I guess I feel that $12,000-$15,000 would be a more realistic value.

I doubt it. They wore 4 jerseys that day and got to keep the 4th one. So Crosby has his GWG jersey.

The auction said they wore one for a pre-game photo shoot and the players got to keep their third period game used jerseys, so one of the three would be "game-issued" since it was never worn in the game.

• 1 month later...

Crosby's Hockey Fights Cancer jersey sold for $15207. Hockey Fights Cancer Jersey

The jersey is now up on ebay with a BIN of $40000. Crosby Jersey on Ebay.

What's with the seams on the arms there? I see a black mark on the left arm but there's those two parallel seams on both arms. What's that all about? Obviously the jersey is genuine but those lines make me puzzled.

It must be nice to have that kind of money to burn spending that much on a jersey to risk a possible profit on ebay. Personally, I hope he doesn't get a cent more than he spent for it. The jersey was auctioned for a noble cause, someone shouldn't be trying to make money off of it unless they plan on donating the profit themselves to the hockey fights cancer fund.

Which one do you think is going to help you get one of these? :thumbsup:

elisha-rd2a.jpg

I'm gonna go with neither, as I have recently figured out, you know you have to talk to these females you speak of?!?! I know this sounds crazy, but its true. And I'm gonna on a limb and say neither get you the chick, at least out this way. Based on my findings, if you go with the car you go with the car you have to be a tool to get the girl, not sure why, but thats what the trend indicates. And if you go with the jersey, good luck explaining what hockey is to the women out here. You have to explain things such as "Yes, thats the one they play on ice." "Yes, you can fight" "Yes, Sidney is a girls name but no its not a girls jersey." I've just realized I think I need to move!

As for the seller of that jersey, they have a huge game worn collection over at SuzyQ so I doubt its a noble cause to donate the extra $25k to charity.

What's with the seams on the arms there? I see a black mark on the left arm but there's those two parallel seams on both arms. What's that all about? Obviously the jersey is genuine but those lines make me puzzled.

I was looking at that all during the game last night...since the pens didn't do anything worth actually watching the game. It seems that all of the newer jerseys (Dupuis, Hossa, Gill) have them on it, along with Sid's since he probably replaces his quite a bit. As for the other ones, the TV didn't zoom in enough to get me a good view of it. I'd be interested in seeing if the Authentics sold have the seems, and if not, is it possible that that is part of making the jerseys less waterproof??

Yeah, I noticed that on Hossa's jerseys when looking over them in the Getty Images archive and remembered this discussion about Sid's jerseys. (Wouldn't mind a pair of those gloves either!)

Hossa