1996 Alternate Jerseys

benpc21

The other day I was thinking about the 1996 Alternate jerseys that started what we know today as a huge marketing success. I have a few of the early 3rd jerseys, and just missed getting my hands on the Canucks version about 2 hours ago. I have a Burger King jersey and there really is not other choice than Gretzky for that jersey, he is almost tied directly to that sweater* (see note below). In researching game used jerseys, I came across a Ray Ferraro Burger King 3rd jersey and since he falls into the category of former Portland Winter Hawks, and thought well that would be a sweet jersey to have. I could use the one I have, but I have already settled on Gretzky for that, so I decided to try and find another. I know its hard, etc, but there is no rush, so I'm not worried. After looking over ebay and finding one that wont do the trick, I checked Ice Jerseys to see if that had that as a blank jersey as I've seen the purple bearded king as a patch on ebay and could easy put the two together. No luck on the blank jersey, so I tried some other sites, and came up with nothing. It makes sense since all the 96 3rd jerseys are really out there that they don't have blank jerseys for sale, but it also seemed to me like some company would take the chance and make them for your beer league to buy. I then got to thinking about the CCM Vintage line, and this is where my question for discussion kicks in. What are your thoughts on CCM reintroducing the 1996 Alternate jerseys like they have with many jerseys from the years prior? While really abstract and most were short lived, I think it would be a smart idea for them to break them out, even in limited numbers, as the always fetch high prices on ebay and are very highly sought after. Not only would I like to see the 5 1996 jerseys but also the Blues jersey that was so bad Coach Keenan wouldn't let his club hit the ice in them. (On a side note that would give you a chance to have a Burger Kings Gretzky and Blues Alt Gretzky as that was the season he was traded...pretty sweet.) I'd also like to see them release other alts, such as the Tampa Bay 3rd, Might ducks 3rd and 4th from 99, White Rangers alt, etc, etc. What do you think, would it raise, lower or not affect the current prices, and would like to see more of these jerseys out there. I think the prices will affected very little, might go down a bit, but not really, and as I'm a fan of all hockey jerseys, I say I'd love to see them. How say you?

*Side Note: I found a Burger King alt on ebay w/ the # 20, which is the number Ray Ferraro wore when this jersy was out. The jersey is a Luc Robitaille, who while a Kings great never wore that jersey, and the fact that jersey has the number on it I'm looking for it makes it even worse. A pet peeve of mine is when people put the name of a player on a jersey he didn't wear, as in a throwback when he wasn't there, and never wore it as a throwback. Yes he will always be a King, and yes I have broken this rule myself, and of any King other than Gretzky, he makes sense to have on that jersey, it just bugs me.

Luc Robitaille Jersey

Personally I'd love to be able to grab the Ducks 3rd, Kings 3rd, and Tampa Bay 3rd at fair prices.

I have a few of the early 3rd jerseys, and just missed getting my hands on the Canucks version about 2 hours ago.

Heh...sorry about that. That was me. Oops!

I always thought that the teams with all those ugly jerseys back in the 90's should re-release them now. Most of them are so bad that they would definitely be bought up...especially since now it seems all the history and style have been sucked out of the new jerseys.

You #@$@#!!!!! just kidding. I'm glad it went to someone on the boards who knows their stuff. JeffB and I were talking about this, it bugs me when people, especially new bidders (as you can see by the bid history on that Canucks jersey) feel the need to be the high bidder the entire week the jersey is up for auction. In my opinion you are only raising the price on yourself, becuase 99% of the time people will come in at the end and bid what they were willing to pay anyway. I realize the newer memebers dont have the experience to know this, I know i didnt at first, but I expect experienced bidders to have a idea as to how that works.

You're absolutely right. I wonder at it all the time. Someone will bid on a jersey that has 4 days left and just add 50 bucks to the end price. Oh well...that's the experience you have to utilize when you hunt eBay and those who don't pay the price...or don't actually. I snipe stuff all the time by just bidding in the last 30 seconds...sorry again about that dude!

Speaking of the oddball jerseys, I thought I'd list the ones I have:

Dallas Stars 3rd(circa 2004):

DallasStarscirca2004-vi.jpg

Los Angeles Kings 3rd(circa 1996):

LosAngelesKingscirca1995-vi.jpg

Minnesota Wild 3rd(circa 2004):

MinnesotaWildcirca2004-vi.jpg

New York Islanders(circa 1995):

NewYorkIslanderscirca1994-vi.jpg

New York Rangers 3rd(circa 1997):

NewYorkRangerscirca1997-vi.jpg

New York Rangers 3rd(circa 2004):

NewYorkRangerscirca2004-vi.jpg

Tampa Bay Lightning 3rd(circa 1998):

TampaBayLightningcirca1997-vi.jpg

Vancouver Canucks 3rd(circa 2004):

VancouverCanuckscirca1973-vi.jpg

And now I can add two more to that list; a Vancouver Canucks 3rd circa 1997 AND an authentic Vancouver Canucks 3rd circa 2002...yes, the gradient jersey. I can't wait for that bad boy to get here.

Boy, do I have a thing for the Cancuks or what?

Sorry, but as someone who owns the Anaheim Wild Wing, Bruins Pooh Bear, Los Angeles Burger King, Pittsburgh Penguins Pajama Top and Vancouver Red & Black alt from 1996 and the Islanders Fisherman and Tampa Bay Seasickness jerseys from 1997, I don't want to see them remade and the value of my collection drop into the cellar.

I've worked hard, done my research and spend my money on these things and would like to see the investment I've made in them protected. I've seen Gretzky Burger King alts get bid up to $300 on ebay and still not meet the reserve price.

But if there's money to be made, I'm sure they will remake them in short order.

On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of the vintage line and own many of them, which I'm sure irritates the people who bought the originals of those back in the day. I'll tell you, a replica CCM 550 Vintage jersey is a hell of a lot nicer than a CCM replica from 1991 since I own several Skating Penguins in both white and black in from both eras.

JeffB

Vancouver Canucks 3rd(circa 2004):

VancouverCanuckscirca1973-vi.jpg

And now I can add two more to that list; a Vancouver Canucks 3rd circa 1997 AND an authentic Vancouver Canucks 3rd circa 2002...yes, the gradient jersey. I can't wait for that bad boy to get here.

Boy, do I have a thing for the Cancuks or what?

Pardon the stupidity, but when you say circa 2004, are you referring to the year it was first used? Because I noticed that's an rbk jersey, which obviously wasn't used until 05-06.

Yeah I always use the year that the logo was first used. The Stars one is the same situation actually as it also is a Reebok.

Sorry, but as someone who owns the Anaheim Wild Wing, Bruins Pooh Bear, Los Angeles Burger King, Pittsburgh Penguins Pajama Top and Vancouver Red & Black alt from 1996 and the Islanders Fisherman and Tampa Bay Seasickness jerseys from 1997, I don't want to see them remade and the value of my collection drop into the cellar.

Boy, I'll tell you Jeff, that's something that I've never thought of and you do make an excellent point. The more these are produced, the less they end up being worth because they're not as rare. The only thing I could think of that would help to preserve the authenticity of the originals would be the fact that any reproduced jersey would A.) be a Reebok jersey instead of the original CCMs(or Nike or Starter or Pro Player or KOHO) and B.) would be in the new style so there would be plenty of outstanding differences while comparing to the old ones.

As popular as all these old 'ugly' jerseys have become in the last few years, however, I really don't see any team re-issuing any of their old 3rd jerseys. It doesn't fit into the plan of the 'new NHL'.

I had the same thought Jeff, which is why I brought this up here. From the original era of 3rd jerseys, I have the Tampa Bay 3rd new with tags, the Burger Kings I got with tags (which I cut off to wear), Penguins Pajama Top (never head it called that before, but I like it) Starter Authentic Burins (w/o the fight strap, and I guess that makes it rarer?), Rangers White Liberty with Leetch on the back (new with tags) and a Phoenix 3rd, which is a bit of an unusual jersey from what I can gather. Mine has a purple stripe seperating the green jersey and the desert secne and the collar is cream and purple, where the real ones are black and orange. From what I've found it might have been an initial release of the jersey before a few alterations were made to it when it hit the ice.

2229293100034358379S425x425Q85.jpg

Of the more recent oddities, I have the Canucks 2002 gradient jersey, two Nashville 3rds (one new with tags), 3 Dallas Stars 3rds (one Modano, one Authentic NWT, and one replica NWT), Mighty Ducks 3rd NWT, and I'm not sure if these count, but Oilers and Jackets 3rd. Based on what I've seen with the oringal 1996 Jerseys, I'm holding onto my Nashville and Stars replica NWT tags for about a decade, since I feel that there will be similar type of market for these jerseys. Maybe not the level of some of the 96 ones, but I figure I can at least get my money back on those in the future. I'm toying with the idea of keeping the Rangers jersey for a while too, as I wanted a white liberty and got it, but a few weeks later got a Hartford Wolf Pack on the same template, which I would wear more. The rest I don't plan on selling. I'm a pack rat, and I have a hard time parting with things, so the "monetary" value of these doenst matter all that much to me, but the value of the item being rare does. I hope that if CCM puts these jerseys back out, the will use the Vintage tag on the neck, like the have on all the others they have reproduced, and should the come out with them, people will know the difference and the original will still be

worth more.

As popular as all these old 'ugly' jerseys have become in the last few years, however, I really don't see any team re-issuing any of their old 3rd jerseys. It doesn't fit into the plan of the 'new NHL'.

While I agree this doesnt push forward to the new NHL, the Vintage line has been successful for CCM, or at least I would assume so, since they keep adding jerseys to it. Sooner or later they are going to be runing out of jersey to make vintage and might stumble across the 3rds. I think if there is money to be made from them, CCM and the NHL will be interested in making it.

Apparently, neither does the Flyers marketing slogan for last season:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8845

Here is my reply:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qD4RdCeahwU

Sign of things to come perhaps? New rules, new direction, new jerseys, no fighting?

Sign of things to come perhaps? New rules, new direction, new jerseys, no fighting?

Ugh...bite your tongue. That would be the single greatest mistake the NHL could ever make. Ever.

Ugh...bite your tongue. That would be the single greatest mistake the NHL could ever make. Ever.

You mean besides changing the rather excellent jersey designs we had?

I had the same thought Jeff, which is why I brought this up here. From the original era of 3rd jerseys, I have the Tampa Bay 3rd new with tags, the Burger Kings I got with tags (which I cut off to wear), Penguins Pajama Top (never head it called that before, but I like it) Starter Authentic Burins (w/o the fight strap, and I guess that makes it rarer?), Rangers White Liberty with Leetch on the back (new with tags) and a Phoenix 3rd, which is a bit of an unusual jersey from what I can gather. Mine has a purple stripe seperating the green jersey and the desert secne and the collar is cream and purple, where the real ones are black and orange. From what I've found it might have been an initial release of the jersey before a few alterations were made to it when it hit the ice.

2229293100034358379S425x425Q85.jpg

The Coyotes alternate in your photo was by Starter and was rushed to be released in 1999. They had that purple stripe on them. Also, the neck stripe should be sienna and black, not purple and sand, so there are two things they botched. I think the geckos on the shoulder were pointing in the wrong direction, too.

In the second half of 1999, ProPlayer got it right on replicas and authentics, no purple stripe and the correct color neck trim. My authentic Pro Player jersey, which I purchased in the fall of 1999 has no purple stripe and the correct neck. :thumbsup: That one is one of my all-time favorite jerseys and I showed it off at All-Star FAN-tasy in LA (2002).

Well, I'' be damned! I knew about the neck and the stripe, but never looked at the lizards. Its one of my favorites too. I do prefer the version without the purple, but this was my first ebay purchase ever, which started the flood gates of unnecessary stuff that shows up on my door step, so I didn't know any better! I've always wanted to get my hands one w/o the purple, but at a certian point even I realize enough is enough. We'll see, maybe one day I'll pick one up.

On a side note, I know Starter had some issues in their last days, including sending out coyotes 3rd jerseys w/o the purple, but the wrong numbering.

321b_1.jpg

On a side note, I know Starter had some issues in their last days, including sending out coyotes 3rd jerseys w/o the purple, but the wrong numbering.

Yes, Starter did have some issues back then. I had a Devils Brodeur with the wrong font for the numbers, Rangers with the wrong font for the captain's "C" and the Modano Stars jerseys were all over the place with the number thickness way off. Combine those Dallas Modanos with all the botched CCM Vintage North Stars Modanos, there's probably more screwed up Modano jerseys in the world than all other players combined.

Starter made a lot of mistakes on the jerseys they released to the public. I think we talked about this before as myself and a couple others reported having jerseys with the wrong conference tag on them, like a Sabres jersey I had that was a Starter jersey and it had a Western Conference Tag on it. Their quality control took too much time off it would appear before some jerseys hit the market.

I'd agree with the quality control issues. Its sad when you could easily gather up the people at this forum, and I;m pretty sure we would all be happy to make sure nothing, even the smallest detail, was wrong for a decent wage.

The Coyotes and Starter were like bad star-crossed lovers. When the original Phoenix authentics were sold to the public, the cut of the shoulders was way off, far too tight, causing the "Phoenix Coyotes" and the "Goals For Kids" patches to be right up against the collar, not down on the actual shoulder area like the replicas and the game-issued jerseys. Later on this was corrected, but the vast majority of Starter Coyotes authentics out there are wrong, I believe.

I'll have to admit that I never looked at the direction of the lizard on the shoulder on the Starter third replica. I'll have to comare it to the Pro Player authenic and replica that I own. Good catch, Desert Rat!

The Coyotes and Starter were like bad star-crossed lovers. When the original Phoenix authentics were sold to the public, the cut of the shoulders was way off, far too tight, causing the "Phoenix Coyotes" and the "Goals For Kids" patches to be right up against the collar, not down on the actual shoulder area like the replicas and the game-issued jerseys. Later on this was corrected, but the vast majority of Starter Coyotes authentics out there are wrong, I believe.

I'll have to admit that I never looked at the direction of the lizard on the shoulder on the Starter third replica. I'll have to comare it to the Pro Player authenic and replica that I own. Good catch, Desert Rat!

Let`s not forget that Starter produced Authentic jerseys in 3 different countries.

1. Made in El Salvador, regular Authentics that were sold in stores

2. Made in Haiti, regular Authentics(?) without a fight strap and without re-inforced elbows but with the authentic Starter/NHL embroidery in the hem

Didn't someone just mentioned to own a Bruins 3rd without a fight strap? Can you confirm this point?

3. Made in USA, Berlin, Wisc. Those jerseys went directly to the teams and were for the players to wear only. But the company that made those jerseys were pretty slow, so the Bruins for example got their home and away jerseys completely uncrested.

Ive got the Bruins jersey in question, I'll post when I get back from work. Gotta run

Let`s not forget that Starter produced Authentic jerseys in 3 different countries.

1. Made in El Salvador, regular Authentics that were sold in stores

2. Made in Haiti, regular Authentics(?) without a fight strap and without re-inforced elbows but with the authentic Starter/NHL embroidery in the hem

Didn't someone just mentioned to own a Bruins 3rd without a fight strap? Can you confirm this point?

3. Made in USA, Berlin, Wisc. Those jerseys went directly to the teams and were for the players to wear only. But the company that made those jerseys were pretty slow, so the Bruins for example got their home and away jerseys completely uncrested.

I have a Bruins third without the strap. I got that at a Starter store in Niagara Falls. I remember seeing the Penguins third at the HHOF store the same, without a fighting strap.

When Starter went belly up, a lot of the inventory was sold off to the Value City chain. That's how I picked up a lot of my Starters, and ProPlayers for that matter. I have some Berlin-made jerseys, Coyotes home, Florida road. The Coyotes USA made home, white, had a much different collar. It was quite a bit bigger than any other version out there. It is about 1 1/2 bigger than the El Salvador jerseys. The neck tags are different, but they have the same consumer tags. The first Starters had the S logo with the word mark on the hem, the Berlin has the large S logo without the word Starter underneath. Otherwise, they are the same consrtuction and material wise.

IMGA0129.jpg Berlin made

IMGA0131.jpg El Salvador made

Notice the difference in the proximity of the patches to the collar. The neck tags are a little different also.

As far as the Coyotes third, I noticed something odd. The replicas for both Starter and ProPlayer have the lizards pointing one way, and the ProPlayer authentic has them pointing the opposite way.

Here are a few close up pics of my Bruins Starter Authentic.

2951857150034358379S500x500Q85.jpg

2854783820034358379S500x500Q85.jpg

2343721600034358379S500x500Q85.jpg

I posted the last picture becuase I've never seen the neck done like that before. I only have one Starter Authentic to compare it to, my Panthers one should be in the mail as I type this.

• 2 months later...

I figured this was the best topic to bring it up in, but this past weekend my hockey team was in Oakland for 4 games, and when we played Cal, we took the back route to the locker room, which passes by the other rink they have there. On that sheet there was a pick up game going on and I finally saw the gold Dallas Stars 3rd jersey that was pulled off the shelves before it was ever worn, and I have to say it was a beauty. I was trying to figure out a way I could try and buy the jersey off the guy, but I never had the chance to talk to him as they were gone before we got done. I was a big fan of that template Dallas used and that jersey would have been a perfect fit. Looks like another jersey I'll have to add to my what if list. Just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this thing, I feel it's almost like seeing Bigfoot!