Help a newbie with a Sandow SK Oilers jersey

EndOfAnEra

I snagged a really old looking Oilers jersey off kijiji for $15 today. I've done some digging around here and I'm a bit confused. One person said the Oilers used Nike's from their debut in the NHL.

http://www.edmontonoilersjerseys.com

This website says the Sandow's were used by the Oilers in 1980. I (think) know that CCM eventually bought Sandow SK, and they were only in operation until 1983. So were these ever used? Were they replicas only? What year would they be from?

Also, is anyone aware of a good customizer for these? I've seen a few with numbers only, and some Gretky/Messier ones. Whether it was official or not, this is a really awesome throwback. It'd be cool to get a number, but only if it wasn't going to look like garbage. Thanks for the help!

Edited by EndOfAnEra

They used Sandow durene jerseys in 1980-81 for the first set I believe. After that, it was Sandow mesh until 1982 when they changed to Nike.

Cool. It's tough to tell which ones are knit and which are meah from pictures. I've noticed that the Sandow SK logo on the back of the jerseys in most pictures are dark blue, whereas mine is black. Would that tell me anything?

The oil drop on the logo seems slightly rotated off center, but from what I've seen on game-worn jerseys, there wasn't a lot of accuracy on the crests.

Can you post pictures of your jersey? Is it durene or mesh?

Sandow produced retail authentic jerseys in the early 1980's for some teams, like the Oilers, Leafs and Islanders. At least some, if not all of these retail authentics seemed to differ from the on-ice jerseys in many aspects- some crests were constructed differently, or even some of the jerseys' fabric pieces, including the double elbows, were stitched together in different ways. I don't know if that has anything to do with the logo on your jersey being black instead of blue. I assume you have a home (white) jersey?

Edited by LAK74

image_zps7stpakxj.jpg

image_zpsqulftwkm.jpg

image_zpsfnn5iibv.jpg

image_zpszr6x2jpi.jpg

It's durene. It doesn't have a double stitched elbow either. Not really worried about this not being an authentic on-ice anyways, just curious about the history.

If anyone can point me in the direction of getting it customized, I'd be very grateful.

Edited by EndOfAnEra

Yep, it's a durene replica. Someone who's really good at replicating old jerseys like that is Keener (member here, username Sir Keener). Also, keenerjerseys.com. And for photos of some stuff he's done,

https://keenercomedy.wordpress.com/keeners-jersey-collection/#jp-carousel-715

There were vastly different lettering schemes for the Sandow Oilers, so be specific in what you ask for.

Edited by LAK74

The first Sandow set from 1980/81 was durene, and featured 2 layer name letters, and sleeve numbers that overlapped onto the arm striping:

image_zpsed77ca18.jpg

image_zps53a294bd.jpg

The sets that followed were mesh, the first of which had a long nameplate with very skinny letters:

image_zps064f257f.jpg

image_zpsc9b15232.jpg

Another set featured more conventional lettering:

image_zps4f620b89.jpg

As far as the Sandows go, that's all I've seen until the Oilers switched to Nike around 1982. If you happen to find anything else, please let us know.

Since we're on the topic, when did the Oilers switch from Nike to CCM? After the Gretzky trade? I'm guessing any CCM mesh jersey with a screen printed logo is a 90's era replica

nvm, dropthepucks has a great page of game worns. 89-90 was the first CCM year. Would love to get my hands on a Sandow mesh or a Nike, but that looks pretty unlikely. As for my durene, I'm sending it to get numbers. Also managed to find a guy who will reproduce the Alberta 75 shoulder patch for me. Kinda funny how a random find on kijiji turned me into a wannabe jersey nerd.

Edited by EndOfAnEra

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I came across this topic and I wanted some help with my Jersey as well.  I seen that you posted 3 Jersey's made by Gerry Cosby.  The bottom Gretzky one is the one I'm interested in.  I would like to know more about it.  Is it a replica of the original? What does the front look like?  I purchased a Jersey a few years ago.  I have been researching it alot and it has me stumped really bad! Plleeeeeaasse HELP ME.

All of the pictures I posted were of game worn originals, not replicas.  The white one you asked about is a 1981/82 Sandow mesh.  The front of it is posted below.  What are the questions you have about it or the jersey you own?

image_zps0e70d6dc.jpg

Now you’ve got me really curious about this, as you haven’t replied here or in the PM you sent me.  Don’t be shy, we’re all here to help!  ?

I’m gonna take a wild guess here.  You have a white Oilers Sandow jersey with a Gerry Cosby tag stitched in the collar along with the Sandow SK tag, and it has a front crest with fuzzy-looking chain-stitched letters.  Is that what you have?

yes. Thats exactly what i have.  Its a size medium (40).  Very well made except for a few slights differences.  In perfect condition. Has the signature of Wayne Gretzky on the front and back.  The signature looks as if it was one of his signatures early in his career.  No Captains "C" on the front.

Edited by plaaboi247

In the early 80’s, Sandow made some authentics for retail sale, and some of them were different from the on-ice authentics in some respects, like the crests, fight straps, double elbows, etc.  I have no idea why Sandow would go to the trouble of making the retails differently from the on-ice ones (kind of an 80’s version of the Indos?), but they did.  One of our members here has a couple of them for sale in the Trading Post- do they look the same as yours?

Oh, btw, Gerry Cosby didn’t make the jerseys, they just sold a lot of them at retail, and so they stitched their tag in the neck area.  The jerseys were actually manufactured by Sandow.

I figured that they weren't done by Gerry Cosby because of how the tag was sewed on.  The Jersey that's posted for sale is pretty much the same as mine except mine says Gretzky on it and the numbers are triple stitched(orange, white blue).  I can't see the back of his either so I haven't any idea if  the back is the same.

What do these Jerseys go for?

I wouldn’t necessarily consider that price to be typical for all jerseys of that type.  Larger size jerseys tend to sell for more, and of course the price is going to vary depending on jersey condition, and whether it’s blank or customized- if the latter, the accuracy of the customization could significantly affect the price as well.

You are quite welcome for the assistance!