Habs Second Line Woes

villavelocity

Whats your take on the 19yr old rookie Latendresse moving up to the Second Line w/ Kovalev and Plekanec and Samsanov being demoted to the Fourth Line w/ Murray and Begin?

I think the second line needed a banger as both Kovi and Sammi are puck control freaks.

We cant touch the third line because they have had great success ( Perezoghin/Bonk/Johnson) and our first line is one of the best in the league (Ryder/Koivu/Higgins)

Unfortunately this situation once again proves the Habs inability to acquire what they really needed in the off season...a TRUE POWER FORWARD

We certainly could have used a big center as well.....

Lindros would have worked...(i know,i know)

I am convinced that Scott Hannan is coming to Montreal for Souray and a first rd pick by seasons end

Villavelocity

Not having seen a Habs game on TV this year I can only go by what I see on the score sheets. Looking at the numbers the move doesn't make a lot of sense. My only guess is one of two things. Either the Habs are looking to trade Samsanov or they are trying to motivate him. If neither of those are the reasoning, then I don't really understand the move.

Personally I like Latandresse. He plays hard - laid some big hits against the Sabres - and looks comfortable on the ice. I think your "third" line should be your second. I think giving Latandresse more ice time is a good call. Samsonov isn't a fourth line player, but being put in the dog house might motivate him. If it doesn't than we can label him an underachiever once and for all and you'd be better off just trading him if he doesn't pick up his game.

Most importantly though, Carboneau is shaking things up and that's good to see. It's early and he's got plenty of time to decide what will ultimately be best for his team. I don't see Souray sticking around much longer either...

I'd be willing to trade Robert Lang for Sammy and a draft pick that I could turn around and spend with another team for a big hitter up front.

If it was up to me ;)

I don't think I'd want Lang. There had been a rumor over the summer of Lang coming to Buffalo along with Nik Kronwall for Biron and Afinogenov. I can't imagine how upset I would have been if we'd done that. Kronwall has a lot of potential, but we already have 6 NHL defensemen and trading Afinogenov? He's been tremendous this year and led the team in points last year after Briere was injured.

I think the move of Samsonov to the fourth line is two fold.

1. Carbo is trying to send him a message and there's no better way than having him be on the fourth line tonight in his return to his ol' stommping grounds in Boston. We'll see how he responds to this, hopefully it works. :)

2. Carbo is also looking at how Guillaume Latendresse handles the extended ice time and opportunity without putting the whole focus on him. The big buzz here in Montreal that everyone is talking about is how upset Samsonov is. If Latendresse doesn't do much tonight (he hasn't made much of a splash on his limited ice time from the fourth line) then I wouldn't be surprised if he'll be put back on the fourth line or even sent down.

I think the move of Samsonov to the fourth line is two fold.

1. Carbo is trying to send him a message and there's no better way than having him be on the fourth line tonight in his return to his ol' stommping grounds in Boston. We'll see how he responds to this, hopefully it works. :)

2. Carbo is also looking at how Guillaume Latendresse handles the extended ice time and opportunity without putting the whole focus on him. The big buzz here in Montreal that everyone is talking about is how upset Samsonov is. If Latendresse doesn't do much tonight (he hasn't made much of a splash on his limited ice time from the fourth line) then I wouldn't be surprised if he'll be put back on the fourth line or even sent down.

agreed

if we look at the stats:

samsonov - 4 / 2goals

latendresse -5/no shots/no pts

hopefully this will light a fire under Sammi.

I still think we need a TRUE powwer forward for the second line and/or a big centerman

Well after one game (too early for final decisions) it doesn't look any better. That was an ugly ending to the Boston game too.

Latendresse still had 0 shots in 12:50 of ice time and finished a -1.

Samsanov on the 4th line 2 shots and had 13:40 of ice time.

Based on his Juniors numbers, he seemed like he was a bit physical there, but this hasn't translated entirely into his NHL game yet. He has time to improve, but maybe he is better suited to start out on the 4th line for now.

Well after one game (too early for final decisions) it doesn't look any better. That was an ugly ending to the Boston game too.

Latendresse still had 0 shots in 12:50 of ice time and finished a -1.

Samsanov on the 4th line 2 shots and had 13:40 of ice time.

Based on his Juniors numbers, he seemed like he was a bit physical there, but this hasn't translated entirely into his NHL game yet. He has time to improve, but maybe he is better suited to start out on the 4th line for now.

I like Latandresse, but he does look like he might benefit from a little more time in the minors. I saw him play a good physical game against the Sabres, and he had a strong pre-season, I believe, but he just doesn't seem to be getting it done right now at this level. He's young. He's got time. I think he'll be good for this team in a few years.

Tough loss tonight, but Samsonov picked up two, so maybe he got the message.

Tough loss tonight, but Samsonov picked up two, so maybe he got the message.

Yup, looks like Carbo got him fired up :)

• 2 weeks later...
Yup, looks like Carbo got him fired up :)

Latendresse finally put one on the board tonight. I think he'll be an impact player in a couple of years.

Latendresse with 2 tonight (31 seconds apart). I think he's ready to start contributing.