What are all the differences between Reebok Premiers and Reebok Edges?

joe092690

First off, I'm sure this is an extremely common question so I apologize in advance if I ruffle any feathers by asking it. I didn't see a sticky pertaining to it.

The questions I'm asking in this thread pertain specifically to just the Reebok era (07-08 to present). I collect Premiers (as a college student with a careful budget, I find them more affordable and easier to obtain at the moment) but I'm trying to finally figure out for sure what the exact differences between the Premiers (Replicas) and Edge (Authentics) are starting from 07-08 to present, as I've heard a few different things but want concrete answers.

As far as similarities, I've heard both use the same exact stitched lettering and numbering and stitching on captain/alternate captain patches, as well as event patches like anniversaries.

For differences, I've heard:

- Edges have fight straps and Premiers don't.

- Edges are a heavier jersey.

- The team crest on the Edge is stitched on and the Premier team crest is glued.

- Edge jerseys don't have the size tag on the lower left near the waist that Premiers do.

- Edge jerseys don't have the Reebok vector or wordmark embroidered on the sleeve.

- Shoulder patches on the Edge jerseys are embroidered and stitched on. They are stitched on but are a plasticky material on Premiers.

Is all of this correct? If not, please correct me. Am I missing anything?

Also, I've seen a lot of talk of "retail authentics" and of course "1.0 and 2.0's" as well as "Indos". I collect Premiers, so do I have to worry about differentiating between 1.0 and 2.0 and these Indo jerseys? I always thought there was only one type of Replica and one type of Authentic. Are there more than one of each? How do you differentiate between them? Again, I collect Premiers and am mainly concerned about them.

Lastly, game-worn jerseys seem to be another type of authentic jersey but are obviously game-used. Are there any differences between them and the authentics we fans buy?

I'm sorry if I'm throwing a lot out there to answer but I'd really like to finally get some answers to these questions and inform myself so I can have an accurate collection. Thanks to all who can help.

You have most of it down. The name and numbers on premier replicas usually are not the same as the authentics unless someone bought a blank and had it customized correctly

- Edges have fight straps and Premiers don't.

Premiers don't have fight straps and authentic edge jerseys do

- Edges are a heavier jersey.

Yes the edge jerseys are heavier they are completely diffrent materials

- The team crest on the Edge is stitched on and the Premier team crest is glued.

Some premier jerseys crest are stitched on not always bit the crest itself is usually diffrent from an authentic

- Edge jerseys don't have the size tag on the lower left near the waist that Premiers do.

Correct

- Edge jerseys don't have the Reebok vector or wordmark embroidered on the sleeve.

Correct

- Shoulder patches on the Edge jerseys are embroidered and stitched on. They are stitched on but are a plasticky material on Premiers.

The shoulder patches on authentic edges are just a patch stitched down and not embroidered and the premier shoulder patches are a vinyl/plastic material

The edge 1.0 vs 2.0 the difference is material used and the fit of the jersey and the indo edges are a completely different material from the 1.0 and 2.0 edges and are mad in Indonesia where authentic edge jerseys are made in Canada

Game worns are authentic made in Canada edge jersey I think every team has made the switch to the 2.0. But they sometimes have something done to them at the players request but other than that if you buy an authentic blank and have it customized by the right place it will be the same jersey that the player is issued to play in. The authentic edge 2.0 are out there just hard to find for some teams but mainly the big companies that are selling authentics they are the indo edges

Luckily for you, there is just one type of replica - the Reebok Premier. It has been the official replica since the league switched to the Reebok Edge jerseys in 2007-08.

As far as similarities, I've heard both use the same exact stitched lettering and numbering and stitching on captain/alternate captain patches, as well as event patches like anniversaries.

It's best to always think of hockey jerseys as starting out blank. Authentic jerseys (Edge) always start out blank and Premier jerseys are available blank or sometimes they are factory customized. The problem is, sometimes the factory customization isn't all that great. First the factory customized jerseys usually only offer the "C" not usually the assistant captain's "A". Often times they won't come with anniversary or specialty patches (unless you pay them to add one at the time of sale). The quality of the customization is the biggest problem, places like shop.NHL.com will use printed twill to simulate multiple layer twill and will often include fake printed stitches. Even if the twill is stitched around the edge, this is just for looks, as the number is actually glued on.

If you care about accuracy and quality of the customization, look at buying a blank jersey and having it customized after the fact. It does take more time but the quality is worth it, regardless of whether you're customizing a Premier or Edge. There are some places that will pre-customize a jersey and do a great job from the get go (House o' Hockey for example does good work for Pens jerseys) so just ask around or if possible make sure you can see the quality in person before buying a pre-customized jersey. Don't assume it will be right from a stock photo.

I can vouch for the quality of House o' Hockey's Penguins customization.

So if I'm collecting Premiers (which I am), I don't even have to worry about different types of Premier jerseys? There's just one type and that's it? I don't have to worry about 1.0's, 2.0's, or these Indonesian-made jerseys?

Correct- replicas are basically all the same-- some special-event replicas like the winter classic may use a slightly heavier material (ccm 550 or something) but that's about all the variation i'm aware of in terms of reebok replicas

Correct- replicas are basically all the same-- some special-event replicas like the winter classic may use a slightly heavier material (ccm 550 or something) but that's about all the variation i'm aware of in terms of reebok replicas

So since I'm collecting Premiers, I don't even have to worry about 1.0's or 2.0's? It sounds from what I've heard that you only have to worry about those if you are collecting Authentic (Edge) jerseys.

What about the Indo-Edge jerseys? Are those specifically a type of Authentic (Edge) jersey as well? Those sound like something I shouldn't have to worry about either since I'm collecting Premiers.

To be clear, you shouldn't 'worry' about any of these options because they are all better in quality than the premiers in most ways so if you accidentally buy one the only reason you should be upset is for lack of collection uniformity

Aren't Premiers made in Indonesia as well? I think I've seen them in stores and the tag inside the neck says "Made In Indonesia" with the size S, M, L, etc. Starting in 07-08 all the way to present, where are Premiers made? I vaguely remember seeing Premiers with a CCM tag in the neck as well and always wondered why, as CCM's last season was 06-07. Why would a CCM tag be in a Reebok jersey?

Basically, my last question is, in regards to Premiers, starting in 07-08, what should the tag inside the neck say? Were they always made in Indonesia since Reebok took over? Why do some of the Reebok jerseys from 07-08 and beyond have CCM tags in them?

Authentic jerseys started to be produced in Indonesia at the beginning of the 2011-2012 season and they are inferior to what the players actually wear. They were marketed as authentic but in reality they are not.

As a sidebar, it looks like they are either phasing them out or making the 2.0's (what the players actually wear) more readily available.