Victoria Cup Announced!

The Victoria Cup is now a reality with three teams (the IIHF winner, an NHL team and a mysterious third team) playing for the bragging rights of the world.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2863711

What do you think about this? Personally I think its a great idea. It sucks for the players involved as the season is extended but for the game of hockey I think its great and I would definitely get tickets for this event if it were held in North America.

It will be interesting to see what the NHL's level of commitment is as far as which team is sent to play. It clearly has gone a long way to avoid promising that the Stanley Cup champions will take part.

I'd anticipate an Original Six team going first since I read they wanted a team with "some history". If it were after the NHL playoffs, no one would want to go. Since the event is supposed to be in September, they could send just about anyone.

It would be cool if the fans in North America could get to see some famous team like Modo, Jokerit Helsinki, Sparta Prague, Moscow Dynamo or Ak Bars Kazan live on TV.

I like the idea a lot.

JeffB

Wow, that is a really wild idea. What they should do is just excuse the selected NHL team from the pre-season. The quality of games would probably even out in the end anyway.

Wow, that is a really wild idea. What they should do is just excuse the selected NHL team from the pre-season. The quality of games would probably even out in the end anyway.

That is a good idea. But you know the IIHF wants the Stanley Cup Champion vs their IIHF champ so they would want it done in June but will the NHLPA really agree to that?

That is a good idea. But you know the IIHF wants the Stanley Cup Champion vs their IIHF champ so they would want it done in June but will the NHLPA really agree to that?

That's a tough sell. Are you really gonna tell a team that's probably played about 22-24 playoff games, not counting OT, that they now have to go overseas and play a meaningless tournament against the worlds elite? I don't know...I really like the idea they have here but I don't know if the league will agree to it. Unless, they end up just picking random teams instead.