My Hartford Whalers Fantasy Alternate

JeffB

My Hartford Whalers Fantasy Alternate is finished!

It arrived yesterday, and I'm thrilled with how well it turned out.

WhalerAlt1.jpgWhalerAlt2.jpg

WhalerAlt3.jpgWhalerAlt4.jpg

I purchased the jersey blank right here at http://icejerseys.com/ . The nice thing about icejerseys.com is that they will sell you a single blank, where many places have minimum orders of 5 or even 10.

I did not know it at the time, but this jersey comes from the Plymouth Whalers. It uses the color scheme of the Hartford Whalers starting in 1992-93 when they changed over to a blue road jersey and added silver to the color set, dropping their traditional green jersey.

Whalerset.jpg

My concept was to create an alternate jersey for this set.

The main Hartford Whalers crest was easily found on ebay and I actually had my choice of styles (three color or the old two color ones). I was fortunate to get embroidered "Pucky" the Whale patches off of ebay as well. I really, really wanted to bring back Pucky, who had been dropped by the team some time before changing away from the green jerseys. I also liked the idea of the throwback Pucky patches along with the tie-neck style that the Hartford Whalers never did use.

I then played around with the color scheme of the numbers a bit to decide on the correct order before settling on the white trimmed with blue and outlined in silver. Many teams seem to use the pattern of lightest for the number/darkest for the trim/outlined with the middle color in their set.

I chose #10 Ron Francis for the customizing and then made up an info sheet to show them the fonts I wanted and sent if off to be sewn.

After that, all I had to do was mail it off and wait for it to come back.

I hope you like it!

JeffB

That turned out great. I like that one better than the two real ones. I'm pretty sure in addition to Plymouth that the Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) use the whaler layout as well.

great jersey. I think it would look even better if the numbers had a green and navy blue border, green in the middle. But that's just my opinion

After you suggested that, I took a look at how it would be, and frankly there's just no contrast between the green jersey, blue border and green trim. It all just mashes together and dissappears into the green jersey. From any sort of distance it would look like one color white numbers. Maybe on a white jersey, but not the green.

HartfordAltnumbers.jpg

After you suggested that, I took a look at how it would be, and frankly there's just no contrast between the green jersey, blue border and green trim. It all just mashes together and dissappears into the green jersey. From any sort of distance it would look like one color white numbers. Maybe on a white jersey, but not the green.

HartfordAltnumbers.jpg

I guess, you´re right. But I wonder what it would look like on a real jersey

• 3 weeks later...
I guess, you´re right. But I wonder what it would look like on a real jersey

I posted this pic in another forum but I would love to get the front of this jersey with the ties married with that great whale patch on the shoulders. I might look into this ;)!

3rdjersey_001.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

That's amazing! Reminds me how badly I want an authentic Whalers. But yours is even nicer than the ones we did have back in the day. Glad to see I'm not the only one who missed Pucky when he left us.

Thanks for the compliment.

Shortly after I posted that jersey on a few forums, someone started selling those green Plymouth Whalers jerseys with Hartford crests, although they made no attempt at honesty as far as fessing up that the Hartford Whalers never actually wore a real jersey like that. Their green ones never had a tie neck or silver trim.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

The Whale seems to hold a real place of love in the hearts of hockey fans. I wish the NHL would bring back its logo for sale at lower prices then the current Vintage line.