Penguins Customization?

metaphaze

First off, thanks to everyone here with the advice, and help on identifying counterfeits vs. authentic.

I bought this;

Pens Jersey

The consensus was it was a authentic Reebok Edge jersey. However the customization was less then great.

What I am asking the informed members of IceJerseys, does it make fiscal, and collective sense to have the original customization removed and/or replaced with Crosby or Malkin?

I have learned a lot here in identifying fakes, and that is limited, but I have NO IDEA about customizing sweaters.

Only paying $80 for the jersey I'd say it's definitely worth it to get it stripped and re-done. You should be in for less then $100 to ship the jersey to a customizer, pay them to strip and re-customize it, so $180 for an authentic customized jersey is good price imo

First off, thanks to everyone here with the advice, and help on identifying counterfeits vs. authentic.

I bought this;

Pens Jersey

The consensus was it was a authentic Reebok Edge jersey. However the customization was less then great.

What I am asking the informed members of IceJerseys, does it make fiscal, and collective sense to have the original customization removed and/or replaced with Crosby or Malkin?

I have learned a lot here in identifying fakes, and that is limited, but I have NO IDEA about customizing sweaters.

Ah so someone on here got that. I was watching and thinking about bidding but didn't in the end. Yeah just strip it and get it done up as whoever you want.

Ah so someone on here got that. I was watching and thinking about bidding but didn't in the end. Yeah just strip it and get it done up as whoever you want.

Well, thanks for not bidding it up. I was driving to Cheyenne two days ago with my phone going bezerk over a few jerseys I bid on. I couldn't pull off I-80 to bid on them and lost by a few dollars!

• 1 month later...

Quick question that I'm having trouble finding an answer for. I know cutting edge sports did previous jerseys for the Penguins. However, they did not do the jerseys for the Penguins this year. Does anyone know who is taking care of the customization for the Penguins this year? Also, what types of letters does the team use (size and material) and what material is the name plate?

As for 2010-2011 Edge 1.0's, I imagine the cutting edge used the same sizes and whatnot, but is the nameplate the same material as the jersey?

For which specific year are you getting your jersey customized? Also what model- home/away, or alternate/WC?

Generally speaking, the nameplate is the same material as the jersey itself. There are of course a few exceptions, like the Flyers where they're using twill (same material as the letters and numbers) on their current jerseys. But not every place has the proper Edge 1.0 Xtrafil material nameplates. Personally, I can live with airknit nameplates on the Edge 1.0 jerseys.

For which specific year are you getting your jersey customized? Also what model- home/away, or alternate/WC?

Well, since I can only get 2010-2011 blanks, I guess they're the Edge 1.0s. I wanted to get a home and away one done, so I was going to get them done at cutting edge since that's where they were done last year for the team.

I'm also looking to get my baby blue Malkin third jersey readjusted. It's not right compared to pictures. The jersey was purchased at Mellon Arena, and I just recently acquired it (tags still on it). The numbers look a teeny bit smaller than the on ice ones, the spacing between them isn't right, and the nameplate and numbers are too high and low, respectively, on the jersey. Also, the number isn't correctly placed in relation to the name plate. I just don't know which year the third jersey is from since they used it starting in the 2008-2009 season and just stopped using it with the 2011-2012 season. So, I'm not sure who to approach about that request.

As for the material and sizes of the letters and the fabric for the nameplates, I just want to know for my own knowledge. I'm also looking to see what company is doing the customization for the home/away 2011-2012 jerseys so I'll be prepared to get it lettered in the future when I can someone get a legit Edge 2.0.

Edited by cry_minarets458

As for 2010-2011 Edge 1.0's, I imagine the cutting edge used the same sizes and whatnot, but is the nameplate the same material as the jersey?

You may already have realized this, but if you're planning to do up a 1.0 jersey as a 2010-11 model, you will face a dilemma that's been handed to us ever since Reebok decided to sell retail authentics that are not the same as the on-ice jerseys. No matter what plate material you use, it's still not completely accurate because you're already starting with a jersey that's made of a different material and has a different cut than what the players use.

Most Edge jerseys have large back panels made of spandex-containing mesh material. The nameplates usually go on top of the back panel and are frequently made of the same mesh material. Penguins home and away Edge jerseys are cut differently- the shoulder panels extend farther down than usual, so the nameplate actually covers the shoulder panels and only barely touches the mesh back panel. On the 2.0's the shoulder panels are air-knit, and on 1.0's they are the water-resistant x-trafil material. The nameplates on the Penguins home and away 2.0's are air-knit to match the underlying air-knit material, and I believe that likewise, on the 1.0's (only used on-ice in 2007-08) the nameplates are matching x-trafil. So what nameplate material do you put on your 1.0 if you want to duplicate a 2008-11 home or away jersey? If you put air-knit, it doesn't match the x-trafil. If you can find an x-trafil plate, it matches but it's not what's used on-ice.

On the 3rd jersey, the shoulder panel is much smaller and has a straight border, and the nameplate goes below that onto the mesh material, so to match that, you need a mesh plate. But again, your 1.0 3rd isn't the same material as the on-ice 2.0 3rds anyway.

So my whole point here is that if you're customizing a 1.0 into a 2008-11 jersey, it's probably pointless to worry about exact details. Even trying to get x-trafil or mesh material for plates is difficult, since many customizers don't have it. This hobby can be a pain in the butt sometimes.

You're right - this is soooo frustrating haha. Wish I just got into doing this years ago, so I wouldn't be as overwhelmed as I am now. Guess I'll just cut back on my endeavours and just maybe get one or two jerseys customized at this time. Maybe I'll just let my Penguins third jersey go as is and worry about getting it fixed up at a later date. Thanks everyone for the input!